Capt. Jim Freda
Shore Catch Guide Service
aptain Jim Freda has been fishing the ocean and beaches of the Jersey Shore for over
thirty years. He is recognized as one of New Jersey’s top saltwater
fly fishing and light tackle guides. Jim is a principal member of Shore Catch Guide
Service, LLC located in Manasquan, NJ that specializes in saltwater fly
fishing charters from both the beach and boat.
Jim is an active member of the Atlantic Saltwater Flyrodders, Coastal Conservation
Association, Recreational Fishing Alliance, Manasquan Fishing Club, and
New Jersey Beach Buggy Association.
Jim is also a highly respected and established outdoor writer. A member of the Outdoor Writers Association of America he has been
published nationally in Fly Fishing in Saltwaters Magazine. He also
writes for several regional and New Jersey based publications that
include On the Water, “Fishin Forum” magazine, and the Fisherman.
He also has a weekly fishing column that appears in New Jersey’s
second largest newspaper, The Bergen Record and also a weekly saltwater
column in The Coast Star and The Ocean Star Newspapers of Monmouth and
Jim and his partners in Shore Catch, Captain Gene Quigley and Shell E. Caris travel around the tri-state
area giving saltwater fly fishing seminars and demonstrations. Recently
they were featured on the nationally syndicated TV show “Vacations on
the Fly” hosted by Gary and Robin Edwards. They have also appeared on
Mark Crescenzo's "Family Outdoors Fishing Show", and Mike Jackson’s
Outdoor Radio Show. Jim and his partners, Capt Gene Quigley and Shell E. Caris book, authored Saltwater Tactics a Tactical Approach, a Guide for Beach and Boat Fishermen.
Some of their other featured appearances are at the Fly Fishing Show and Saltwater Expo, both in Somerset, NJ, the Fly Fishing Fair in Valley Forge, PA, Cabin Fever Day at
Ramsey Outdoors Paramus NJ, and the Sportsman’s Jamboree at the Sportman's Center in Bordentown, NJ. They are also regularly featured at many of the
local fishing clubs in the surrounding area.
In the past several years Jim has fished the entire 127 miles of the
New Jersey Coast with some of the most respected charter captains, local
guides, and resident expects in researching his bestselling book "Fishing the New Jersey Coast", Burford Publishing
Company. The book covers over 140 locations (Table of Contents)
from Sandy Hook to Cape May and how to fish them most productively. Autographed copies can be ordered directly from Jim. Please go here » http://www.shorecatch.com/outfitters.html.
Articles by Captain Jim Freda
- A Quick Lesson for a Little Night Flying
- A Word to the Wise...Wader
- August, More than Meets the Eye
- Bang'em Up
- Beach or Bait? Perspective on Surf Fishing & Beach Replenishment
- Bunker and Trophy Bass
- Bunker, Bunker, and More Bunker and Big Bass Too!
- Busting the Blues
- Clams, Bunker, or Herring for Springtime Trophy Stripers
- Coldwater Stripers, Dredging with the Fly
- CPR for the Fly Fisher - Color, Profile and Retrieve
- December’s End, Watching or Catching?
- December's Grand Finale
- Fall's Surf Smorgasbord
- Fly Fishers-Pick Your Tools Wisely When Getting Started
- Four Baits to Know For Your September’s Surf Success
- Get'em with Sand Eel Imitations
- Getting Started in the Salt
- Know Your Baits and Flies
- Jump to the Back for Early Spring Stripers
- Longest Yard, The
- More Lines Less Flies
- My March Madness
- New Jersey’s “Striper Bounty”
- November Trophies
- October' Harvest in the Surf
- Peanut Bunker Blitzes-Jersey Style
- Running and Gunning, Proper Boating Etiquette
- Saltwater Fly Fishing Perspective
- Saltwater Fly Fishing in the Surf
- September Surf
- Shooting the Suds, Albies on the Fly
- Simplifying Fly Lines
- Slack Water Explained
- Springtime Big Bass
- Spring Baits and Flies
- Stretching into Spring
- Striped Bass Game Plan of Summer
- Striped Bass Game Plan of Summer (Part II)
- Stripping for Success
- Surf Scanning
- Tackling Big December Bass on the Fly!
- Take Me to Your Leader
- Ten Degrees of Blitzes
- Tips and Tidbits
- Trophy Tactics
- Trophy Weakfish on the Fly
- Try for that Trophy Bass on the Fly!
- Wind Direction and its Localized Effect on the Striper Bite
Jim and his partners in Shore Catch Guide Service, Capt. Gene Quigley, Shell E. Caris, Capt. David Goldman, Capt. Adam Sherer, Capt. Rich Swisstack and David Torrick are based out of Manasquan, NJ and guide on the beaches of New Jersey from Sandy Hook to Island Beach State Park. They provide “on the water,” surf fishing lessons along with promoting and educating the public in the sport of saltwater fishing.
Inshore and Offshore boat charters with Shore Catch Guides run from Sandy Hook, Manasquan Inlet, and Barnegat Bay. Featuring Parker, Cape Horn, Jones Brothers, and Yellowfin boats, built for fishing the Northeast Atlantic. Each boat is custom rigged, equipped with state of the art Ray Marine and Lowrance electronics including GPS, Chartplotters, fishfinders, VHF radios, radar and sonar to provide a safe, productive, and enjoyable day on the water. Tackle includes a full complement of St. Croix and Spinal Rods, Mako Reels, AVET Conventional Reels, Van Staal, Shimano and Okuma Spinning Reels for any type of fishing. For more information on their guide services, please go to the Shore Catch Guide Service www.shorecatch.com