Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 08-28-2004, 10:09 AM

Had a family beach day Thursday at Bradley Bach - Gramma and Grampa, my lil one, and me. (My wife Susan had to work.) As G&G watched Katrina, I got out in the yak from 4 till 7 PM. With a steady east wind, the waves were high and daunting, but when I was swimming with K, they seemed to have very little force, so I thought I'd try a solo launch 'n' land despite their height.

As Grampa stood watching, ready to see his daughter widowed, an 81-year-old French lady came up to us and launched (yuk) into a sermon on how it it good to be couragieux - and whan you are younge, you are stoopide enough to 'ave le courage. This was a salve to my progressing middle age.

So, couragieux and stoopide, I launched with no mishap. No fluke to be had, but I caught two one-or-two-pound bluefish on a double hookup. A second hookup ended witha severed line and my fluke bucktail jig gone. No action afterward, even casting bucktails and plugs into the jetty tips.

Somehow I managed to time the landing so that I had no waves, just a clean paddle in to shore, with one last foamy push to scoot me up onto the beach. Took a last dip and got hammered by five big waves in a row, and wondered at my luck.

Caught a 15" largemouth on a deerhair bass bug yesterday, in the canoe with Katrina. Today is a six mile trip down an easy stretch of the Delaware. Then I quit for a few weeks so the overdose of outdoors doesn't sour her forever on paddling.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:09 AM

Had a family beach day Thursday at Bradley Bach - Gramma and Grampa, my lil one, and me. (My wife Susan had to work.) As G&G watched Katrina, I got out in the yak from 4 till 7 PM. With a steady east wind, the waves were high and daunting, but when I was swimming with K, they seemed to have very little force, so I thought I'd try a solo launch 'n' land despite their height.

As Grampa stood watching, ready to see his daughter widowed, an 81-year-old French lady came up to us and launched (yuk) into a sermon on how it it good to be couragieux - and whan you are younge, you are stoopide enough to 'ave le courage. This was a salve to my progressing middle age.

So, couragieux and stoopide, I launched with no mishap. No fluke to be had, but I caught two one-or-two-pound bluefish on a double hookup. A second hookup ended witha severed line and my fluke bucktail jig gone. No action afterward, even casting bucktails and plugs into the jetty tips.

Somehow I managed to time the landing so that I had no waves, just a clean paddle in to shore, with one last foamy push to scoot me up onto the beach. Took a last dip and got hammered by five big waves in a row, and wondered at my luck.

Caught a 15" largemouth on a deerhair bass bug yesterday, in the canoe with Katrina. Today is a six mile trip down an easy stretch of the Delaware. Then I quit for a few weeks so the overdose of outdoors doesn't sour her forever on paddling.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:14 PM

Clearly, no one digs my snappy titles!
Old 08-31-2004, 01:45 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Blues Clues?

How have the yakkers been doing lately? Figure I need to stop in and cause some ruccus
Old 08-31-2004, 02:12 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

SH,

When you go to do a beach landing, where do you stow your rod. tied down on the yak or in hand?

Although I'll probably not try that for a while, I was wondering about it. I guess a 7ft rod could be tied down fairly securely to take a dip in the waves.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:55 AM

I store my rods in through the front hatch, reels and all. Usually use a couple of 6-8'rods and a fly rod. When I go out and fish of the beach or sod banks, I'll take along a couple of 11' surf rods..no problem for a Prowler.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:09 AM

When I've fished with AlAnglker and John MOT, we help each other stow the rods in the front hatch. I should be able to do that myself, but with the big swells and the tupperware hatch, I just don;t feel comfortable sidling up there and opening it up. Also, that particular day I had the Rolleez in the hatch, so it wasn't possible.

I removed all hooks from the rods and stowed them, then used the tankwell bungees to lash them down along the side of the yak. Probably would have been fine if I'd been rolled. As it turned out, I could have held my rods in my teeth and landed with some panache.