Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 11-22-2004, 02:30 PM

Launched into working birds in Manasquan round 10am. Immediately hooked into a series of blues in the 5-8 pound range. Saw another yaker towards the inlet and paddled over to have the pleasure of meeting Tommyh, a member of this forum.

After a half dozen blues I found some bass a good distance off shore. I got a total of 7 bass, mostly shorts but two in between the slot and keeper size. I left at noon and Tommyh was still fishing. It looked like there was going to be good action all day. West wind and calm surf, but pretty big rollers.

One odd note, I got only blues on heavy lures (shads and buck tails) and only bass on the yellow bomber. This is not in-line with conventional wisdom so if you are not getting bass off the bottom, try a swimmer.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:30 PM

Launched into working birds in Manasquan round 10am. Immediately hooked into a series of blues in the 5-8 pound range. Saw another yaker towards the inlet and paddled over to have the pleasure of meeting Tommyh, a member of this forum.

After a half dozen blues I found some bass a good distance off shore. I got a total of 7 bass, mostly shorts but two in between the slot and keeper size. I left at noon and Tommyh was still fishing. It looked like there was going to be good action all day. West wind and calm surf, but pretty big rollers.

One odd note, I got only blues on heavy lures (shads and buck tails) and only bass on the yellow bomber. This is not in-line with conventional wisdom so if you are not getting bass off the bottom, try a swimmer.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:39 PM

Great report, GM. Wish I coulda been there. Must work till Turkey Day, then to Florida for the weekend.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:07 PM

NICE MEETING YOU GLOBE. CAUGHT 4 BASS, AND COUNTLESS BLUES. THE BLUES GOT REAL THICK AROUND 2PM, WHICH MADE IT HARD TO GET TO THE BASS. THE BLUES WERE CRASHING ON A TON OF BAIT AND BIRDS WERE EVERYWHERE. IT'S NIECE TO TROLL RIGHT INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE FRENZY WITHOUT SCARING ANY FISH. MADE THE GUYS IN BOATS JEALOUS AGAIN, THEY KEPT ON PUTTING THE FISH DOWN.I LOVE OUTFISHING $60,000 BOATS WITH MY $800.00 KAYAK. GLOBE, HOPE TO SEE YOU OUT THERE GAIN.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:42 PM

wonderful report...why does it occur when I'm always at work. Need to get the yak out one last time for the season.

SH they'll be some waiting for you...
Old 11-23-2004, 12:58 PM

In the world of fish the school that is bigges is in charge so there are times when the bass have the upper hand and the blues have to be on the bottom or they were just lazy that day and decided to play clean up. I've seen times when weakfish have pushed blues off the bait and they have to be on the bottom. Nature is full of suprises. Glad you see you caught the fall run....or should I say "fun".