Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 09-24-2004, 09:47 PM

well after reading scoobys post on crashing I had to follow!I crashed today on the way out. The waves were not to big and I saw my friend out so I thought it must be ok! wrong, I made the first set but there must have been one hell of a under tow that just pounded me back, all I say was this green monster right in front of me after that, well a mouth full of water and my pride hurt, I said fu*k it I'm going again no promblem this time. As I meet my friend he told me he crashed too. We were both screwed when we say how bad it go in no time on the way in, well my rod sounds like a sand paper on metal. Then noticed that some how my wedding ring is gone off my finger(I've only been married a year) she will be thrilled about this.
On the way in crashed again lost A $175 pair of oakleys. The funny thing is my st croix rod bent like a banana twice and nothing went wrong with it. good thing I did not lose any plugs, that would have been a real bummer!
Old 09-24-2004, 09:47 PM

well after reading scoobys post on crashing I had to follow!I crashed today on the way out. The waves were not to big and I saw my friend out so I thought it must be ok! wrong, I made the first set but there must have been one hell of a under tow that just pounded me back, all I say was this green monster right in front of me after that, well a mouth full of water and my pride hurt, I said fu*k it I'm going again no promblem this time. As I meet my friend he told me he crashed too. We were both screwed when we say how bad it go in no time on the way in, well my rod sounds like a sand paper on metal. Then noticed that some how my wedding ring is gone off my finger(I've only been married a year) she will be thrilled about this.
On the way in crashed again lost A $175 pair of oakleys. The funny thing is my st croix rod bent like a banana twice and nothing went wrong with it. good thing I did not lose any plugs, that would have been a real bummer!
Old 09-25-2004, 07:41 AM

Yo've always got to be prepared to crash in the surf as you never know. Put everything away that you can and tether what you can't put below. With 2 people its easy to access front hatches to stow rods, etc. Take advantage of it and you'll save a bunch of money.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:56 AM

Really tough break there mr pete. Enter at low tide or on west winds or on calmer days. Those lost glasses and possible rods etc is just not worth it.

I learn from my mistakes and don't make them again. I've broken rods and lost plugs from certain movements on the yak and now I "take it easy" and take my time doing things.If the blues get a little further away ,so be it.I'll catch up to them if it's in the cards.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:10 AM

I had my Tarpon 140 at the Outer Banks a few weeks ago. I didn't have the balls to take it in the ocean, the waves were big all week. Maybe next time.

A funny story. I used to canoe alot. My Dad and I have Canoed the James River here in Va many many times. We were canoeing around a little bend in the river when a low hanging branch appeared dead ahead. I was in front and taken of guard. I couldn't quite bend under it and grabbed the branch hoping to stop us but we were in a little bit of river flow. Needless to say, I caused us to tip over in 3 feet of water. Everything went over board. I lost 2 rods and watched as my tacklebox floated down the river in front of me, with my wallet and keys in it. I tried to wade and catch up to it but it slowly sank before I could catch it. Lost. Dad didn't lose anything and his cigar didn't even go out. A good lesson learned......