Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 09-03-2004, 11:24 AM

I'm going down to spend the long weekend in Absecon, to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. My lovely bride has graciously consented to let me take the yak.

I'm considering a predawn launch on Sunday, somewhere in the area. My guess is strictly back bays, what with the surf coming up with hurricanes.

Any advice? General areas for launch? Sod banks there? Target fluke, weakies, blues, bass?

Anyone interested in going?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:24 AM

I'm going down to spend the long weekend in Absecon, to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. My lovely bride has graciously consented to let me take the yak.

I'm considering a predawn launch on Sunday, somewhere in the area. My guess is strictly back bays, what with the surf coming up with hurricanes.

Any advice? General areas for launch? Sod banks there? Target fluke, weakies, blues, bass?

Anyone interested in going?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:46 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

You can launch on the causeway heading into AC.

Some cheap hotels on the North side of the blackhorse pike (stay away from them) but on the south side is Lakes Bay (If I recall the name).

Along that stretch are some dirt roads that lead out to some spots. Can't recall the name of the hotel behind which is an old shut down marina, perhaps visible on the topo.

There is some new development starting so some of the spots are going to get shut down soon, but there still is access.

Anyhoo there are some channels out there if you look at the creek flows and bridges on topomap.com you'll get an idea. Hitting these channels on the slack high to outgoing is a good idea as there is a lot of stuff there.

If you head down to Margate there are much better cuts along the sods but I'm not sure where you can put a yak in over there.

Ah yes, one place, though it will be a bit of a paddle to the better sods, is Ski Beach in Ventnor City Heights). If you come in towards Ventnor and make a right just over the bridge past the AC High School (you really can't miss it if you look for the first right hand turn on "the island") then you go ALL the way to the last light on that stretch and make a right to get to the launch area.

Again, if you can access some charts/topos then you may see some channels or cuts along the sods that might be better. You want to get into position at the start of the movement of current so plan accordingly.

There probably are better places to launch and hit, I don't live down there, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

Be careful in Absecon
Old 09-03-2004, 01:47 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Oh yeah, I forgot. I think they're targetting FLOUNDER down there right now. Don't call them FLUKE