Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 11-22-2004, 07:52 PM
SS/Insider

Hi everyone. I've been out on my Fish n' Dive quite a bit in the past several weeks...lots of big blues, one short bass, plenty of fun. However, last Tuesday I had some trouble and would like some advice. I fished off Lavallette, Ortley, Seaside. Beautiful, flat seas with sets of swells passing toward the beach. By the time I headed in, the waves hitting the beach had grown, and since the tide was dropping, they were breaking on the bar. I tucked everything into the hatch, timed the set, and paddled like crazy toward shore. About 30 yards from the beach, a wave caught up to me, and the yak started riding the wave, turned, and over I went. I was properly attired and didn't lose anything, but it was an unpleasant and cold few minutes as I slowly made my way back to the beach.
How should I have approached this better? (other than not having gone out in the first place...) Is there a way to better guide the boat straight with the wave, or should I have just slipped into the water and hung on the back, letting the boat carry me with the wave? I was wearing a winter wet suit.
Sorry if this has been asked before...
Jim
"Then fishermen got into the act & said the warm water would interfere with & reduce the Striped Bass...all their environmental complaints are excuses to hide their real purposes" Ronald Reagan on NYC's West Way Project
"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-22-2004, 07:52 PM
SS/Insider

Hi everyone. I've been out on my Fish n' Dive quite a bit in the past several weeks...lots of big blues, one short bass, plenty of fun. However, last Tuesday I had some trouble and would like some advice. I fished off Lavallette, Ortley, Seaside. Beautiful, flat seas with sets of swells passing toward the beach. By the time I headed in, the waves hitting the beach had grown, and since the tide was dropping, they were breaking on the bar. I tucked everything into the hatch, timed the set, and paddled like crazy toward shore. About 30 yards from the beach, a wave caught up to me, and the yak started riding the wave, turned, and over I went. I was properly attired and didn't lose anything, but it was an unpleasant and cold few minutes as I slowly made my way back to the beach.
How should I have approached this better? (other than not having gone out in the first place...) Is there a way to better guide the boat straight with the wave, or should I have just slipped into the water and hung on the back, letting the boat carry me with the wave? I was wearing a winter wet suit.
Sorry if this has been asked before...
Jim
"Then fishermen got into the act & said the warm water would interfere with & reduce the Striped Bass...all their environmental complaints are excuses to hide their real purposes" Ronald Reagan on NYC's West Way Project
"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature."
Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-22-2004, 10:42 PM
SS/Insider

I'm replying to my own post...how lame. Actually, I just read a september thread that started with a tale just like mine...getting dumped on the way in.
Somebody suggested getting in the water and letting the boat pull you in...
Anybody ever had any luck with that?
Thanks,
Jim
Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-23-2004, 01:05 PM

Don't use a wet suit so I would have attempted the same ride in as you did. I did take the time to practice one summer so getting dumped wasn't unpleasant. I found that counting the waves in sets helped me find the "lull" between. Of course on some days that lull is short or there seems like none at all. But there is a point when it is the best to make a run for the beach. Learning to use the paddle as a rudder takes some time and using your body will also help. Make sure your kayak is loaded so it isn't nose heavy. I hope these tips help next time you're out.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:23 PM
SS/Insider

Thanks, salty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-23-2004, 10:47 PM

Well, I dumped first time exactly as you described, and it was unpleasant. Stowed everything with AlAngler's help, but lost my glasses for want of Croakies. Never thought of that.

Since then I studied the kayak fishing video from that CA dude. He recommends that, if the wave turns you sideways, you lean into it and brace, and ride it out sideways. Knee straps help (there's been a thread on that too). I remember it happening so quickly, though, I believe it must take a lot of practice to have the reflexes and/or presence of mind to do this quickly and well enough to be effective.

I know about sets, but can't seem to count and predict them worth a darn. So I kinda guess, and paddle for dear life. Haven't dumped since, but I haven't landed on quite the same size waves. Even the little ones seem to turn the yak when they scoot me along, but I'm readier to countersteer with the rudder.

John MOT mentioned the place I dumped was pretty dumpy. I infer from his comment that the shore structure and tide affect dumpiness, but I don't have John's surfing/kayaking expertise to call it.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:18 AM
SS/Veteran

In my experience the FnD will "catch" the wave a bit more than other yaks with that broad,flat bottom. I think timing the set, and knowing the forcast [which often changes I know] are good bets. Glad you were dressed for it and your gear was stowed.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:43 PM

Sandyhooker is absolutely right, the beach structure has a lot to do with your potential to dump. I have only dumped 3 times , and two time were in the exact same spot at monmoth beach about a year apart. my buddy also dumped in the exact spot. Both dumps were on calm days. I later realizied that there was a short sand bar which causes you to dump. all of the sudden there is no water under you and you are catapulted ot of the yak.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:33 PM

Sometimes there's nothing you can do. Beach structure and your kayak have a lot to do with it. The FnD is very stable but when it goes arrie it's impossible to correct.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:36 PM

This may sound crazy, but I learned alot after crashing on the way in. Would I rather have not with everything I lost yes!
But now I know what to expect next time.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:25 PM
SS/Insider

Thanks, gentlemen. As always, great info. found out here. I have a book that desribes the technique of leaning into a wave when it gets you sideways and pressing down on the wave surface with your paddle, but as someone mentioned, there doesn't seem to be enough time to make that move when you're going head over heels.
Anyway, great day today on the yak (see my post). And I ought to thank the boater that tossed me a bottle of water and an ice cold beer when we were out there. See, motor boats and kayaks can get along...
Jim
Thomas Jefferson