Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 02-09-2005, 06:28 PM

ok...here goes...

i am looking into yakking this year, i havent decided on a yak as of yet but anywho thats not the question...

i havent seen yaks with rod holders on them but i see pictures of what looks to be the same yaks with rod holders...my question is...do you purchase and attach them yourself?...
in other words do you just start with a stock yak that you like and attach all your own goodies?

StriperSurf Fly Fisher

Old 02-09-2005, 06:28 PM

ok...here goes...

i am looking into yakking this year, i havent decided on a yak as of yet but anywho thats not the question...

i havent seen yaks with rod holders on them but i see pictures of what looks to be the same yaks with rod holders...my question is...do you purchase and attach them yourself?...
in other words do you just start with a stock yak that you like and attach all your own goodies?

StriperSurf Fly Fisher

Old 02-10-2005, 01:00 AM

Either way. There are some fisherman models that come from the manufacturers with rod holders; dealers can install stuff for you; or you can do it all yourself.

Concensus is to go "custom," that is, not take the pre-rigged ones, as dealers, other yak fishers, and ultimately, you know better than the manufacturers how to lay out the rods.

I got mine from kfs, talked with Jon about types of holders and where they would go well, based, and had him install them. I researched and installed the GPS/Fish finder myself, and rigged a tupperware container for the battery. I also figured out how to attach an extra rod holder to one mounted on a Ram ball and rigged a light for it.

The DIY stuff is half the fun. I just didn't want to screw up the rod holders, as drilling holes made me very nervous.

The kfs website DIY section has tons of threads on these and other more unusual issues.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:07 PM

Take a look at lots of kayaks and see what you want on yours. If your nervous about drilling your own holes have someone else do it. It's not as hard as you might think. I would caution you to be careful not to load it up with way more stuff than you will ever use. I would put a couple rod holders on, go fishing and see what you think you'll need as you go. If you already know exactly what you want, go for it.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:07 PM

i have been looking at the ocean and hobie line...really like the 13' prowler actually.
im not going for a ton of attachments...its a yak...i dont want it to look like a mobile home...
yes actually the thought of drilling holes into my yak does make me feel...ummm...uncomfortable
but i only want a few things...one being rod holders for both fly and spinning, and some storage compartments for my things...
luckily i see that most of the items i want come with the yak already from KFS...

sandy...i have to agree that the add ons can be fun...i like the light idea as i will be doing alot of night fishing and will need a source.
i didnt even get it yet and i am looking at ways to "make it mine" so to speak...

johniekayak...thats exactly what i was thinking, just getting some basic stuff then feeling it out and seeing what i really need...i want to keep it fairly simple.

StriperSurf Fly Fisher

Old 02-10-2005, 04:32 PM

I usually just stick my rod in the holes in the bottom of my budget ocean kayak. Becarefull when you land though I broke the bottom of one of my poles once. I also like to attach it with a stretch band while i am paddling on rough days.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Fish fear Sandyhooker's yak! You could see fear in the lineside's eyes when SH hits the water, there's no where to hide! Seriously, Sandyhooker has a great yak with lots of great gear. Operator, some yaks come with fishing packages included, but you may be able to request spending sometime in it before the shop installs your gear.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paddleshark:
Fish fear Sandyhooker's yak ... there's no where to hide!

And yet, somehow they manage beautifully....
Old 02-10-2005, 11:36 PM

Operator...if you'd like to try a Prowler some weekend (or weekday for that matter) I have three and I still go out most weekends in the bay if the wind isn't to bad. I met you at the Bash last year and I think I have sizes of dry tops etc that will fit you if your interested. A good pair of waterproof/insulated gloves is all you would need.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:36 PM

LBIfisher...

that would be great...except that i am located in south carolina now...but i greatly appreitiate the thought and would take you up on that if i was still local...
i am pretty determined to get the yak and am in contact with KFS...i was worried about shipping but alas they informed me they have a hub in charlotte near me that i can pick up the yak and more than half the cost to get it to me...
its coming together and i am getting excited about it...

is there anything special that i need to know about using a kayak before i venture out onto the water?
already have my PFD's and such....

StriperSurf Fly Fisher

Old 02-14-2005, 05:41 AM

Like anything you should walk before you run. The kayaking part of kayak fishing is acutally easy. You've already done the hard part as you've learned how to fish. Take it one step at a time. Day one isn't the day to take on 4' surf and fish the ocean. There are so many great places to kayak fish.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:47 AM

well i have decided on a malibu yak that i am getting from kayak fishing stuff...that place is amazing...they are very helpful.

Baja...
yes that is definatly true...i will be starting by putting my yak in the local lake wylie and do alot of lake yaking before i even think of getting into the salt...

StriperSurf Fly Fisher

Old 02-14-2005, 06:32 PM

ok...
i am getting the 13' maibu in mango for good visability for other water craft...with one flushmount rod holder and one scotty fly rod holder...highback seats and 2 paddles with leashes....also a large rectangular hatch...
do i really need electronics?
i am thinking about a GPS incase im out and a heavy fog rolls in and i get disoriented...at minimum a compass...

StriperSurf Fly Fisher

Old 02-15-2005, 10:53 PM

I went high end with a Humminbird Matrix 67. It has the FF and GPS combined - takes less space, easy to read, toggles views with a button push and does combined views, too. It was pricy, but I love it.

Now I wish I'd got the colr. My wife told me to get the color, but I wanted to save a bit of cash. I should listen to my wife more.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:13 PM

SH

i definatly want it to be color....ive never used any electronic...(stating the obvious)
i definatly need something user freindly...or i will spend an hour trying really hard to get a big rock to take my lure and wonder why the log keeps changing depth...
in other words...i dont even know how to read the things...so i think having some color would just make it a bit easier on me.

StriperSurf Fly Fisher