Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Snapped my rod in half tonight

I was fishing a nice bluefish blitz, having a good old time in my kayak. I was fighting a pretty moderately sized bluefish, probably 5 pounds or so, and it was near the yak and was trying to head for the bottom, and I think they try to hide under the yak sometimes. SNAP! Broke my 7 foot lamiglas inshore special right in half! I did land the little sucker... almost kept him to eat just out of spite, but decided to release the little bastard instead lol.
So, word to the wise, be aware of the stress on your rod when yak fishing, especially when they are near the yak and trying to get under it. I am going to send it back to them hopefully to be replaced, but the fishing is hot, so I'll probably have to get another yak rod. I guess I'll have a spare :/
Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Snapped my rod in half tonight

Pick up a cheap Tica, for the interim. They are a good Yak rod. Yaks lend themselves to Operator high sticking. As they make that last run and your rod is pointed at the moon, the angle is too much, SNAP!
Lami will hook you up.

If I am fighting a blue or a bigger sane fish, I get it within a few feet, slack the line or open the bail, put the rod in the holder, and wrap the leader around my hand offshore style. I then just swim it right to the boga. A boga in the yak is important. It is the only gripper that twists with the fish. So if I underestimated the fish and it makes a last second run. I just release the wraps, pic up the rod, set the bail and make it pay for its impertinence.

I have been skunked too many times in a row to not admit I would gladly trade a broken rod for a few bent ones.

Catch em up and thanks for the report.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:38 PM

Snagged a 40 dollar ugly stick, and called up lamiglas. They said send it on in, with 20 bucks for return shipping. They have to see it to evaluate the break, but it wasn't from an impact so I am hoping they will replace it.
The ugly stick isn't half bad, and pretty good for the price. Caught a bluefish last night on it, and it did the job just fine.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM

I snapped a lami boatin a blue. I called 'em up and sent it in to them. They sent me a brand new one no questions asked after inspecting the break.