Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Kayak Suggestions

Hi,

I had always been interested in Kayak Fishing, but just recently tried it. I am now kicking myself in the XXX for not doing it sooner. Paddleing to coves and sneaking up on bass is pretty damn fun.

I live close to Lake Champlain and will primarily be fishing there, BUT i do get to the North Shore of MA about 3-4 times a year.

As in every sport i get into I like to start out not dropping a ton of money. I like to start out with "crappy" equipment (cheap) and figure out what I like and don't like.

What are the suggestions for where to find a used kayak. I like smaller meanueverable ones to get into tight areas to start. Does anyone have a "extra" one for sale?

I work with computers and if anyone has any interest in that I have a couple MACs i can trade and some cash or straight cash.

I want to keep it simple at first all I see I need now is a rod holder.

Thanks for any help!

Scott
Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Kayak Suggestions

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Getawa...477986-2351861

How does this look?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Hope your not going to buy from them its $200 more for shipping Don't know much about that one, but have heard of unhappy people with others from that brand.
Sit ins arn't the best for the surf or fishing in general, but people do use them effectivly if thats your choice and the size you want in the price range you may be better off with this one Express.
If your looking for a 10 footer sit on top you could probably get a malibu mini-x in the $650 range, or look into the 12' like a redfish 12 or tarpon 120, 2 yaks people love and have used for years.
IMO if after shipping your dropping $600 go another 100 and get a more "proven" fishing yak. With a cheap crappy yak you may just get turned off instead of enjoying and with a better one the resale will be higher if in turn you don't like it or do upgrade.
Ask away if you have more ?'s

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator

new and used here..... http://www.mountainmanoutdoors.com/ and a nice ride to boot from Lake C. jOe
Old 07-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Hey Thanks!

very new to kayak fishing, but I have been renting one for the past couple of weeks.

I am just trying to find out what works for people what people like and all that. I wasn't going to pay the shipping. I from VT, but I am not mentally challenged.

So, people really prefer the SOT over the SIK? I just want to make the best most informed choice I can.

for my first one I want it to be versatile.
Fish the coves of Champlain, ponds of VT, slow moving trout rivers as well as be able it
bring it to the North Shore of MA and fish Joppa Flats and other "mild" areas to get comfortable and figure out what kind of fishing I do most of. Wouldn't make sense to buy one made for the ocean if I will only use it twice a year over there.

Any information is good. I can see this turning into a bigger addiction than Snowboarding which is gonna piss the ol' lady off.

Its no striper but caught this one last night, it was big enough to spin me around which was pretty cool. I fouled hooked him, I though I had a monster.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

For fishing, absolutely SOT
Old 07-12-2008, 12:45 PM

isam,
I've been on some of the lakes and "ponds" up in VT and I firmly believe you're gonna want something like a 14' SOT - those bodies of water are not small... (Don't Vermonters refer to Champlain as "the big one"?) The 14' boat will make it easier to get from point A to point B; tracks straighter, glide's better and should be a faster boat... SOT v. SIK - safer when fishing; you fall "off" a SOT, you have to fall "out of" a SIK. The SOT will also give more places to mount hardware without the risk of the terminal ends of the nuts&bolts or screws or rivets coming in contact with your flesh! You may also find the SOT to be more durable, usually made of a thicker plastic, allowing it to bounce off some of those rock strewn rivers of yours - the Winooski & Mad just leap to mind!! Keep in mind that SOT's are not made just for the ocean... Next time out try renting a SOT rather than a SIK - you might be surprised! 'course, from what I saw of the kayak offerings in Waterbury, the Stowe area, and Burlington a SOT might be a difficult article to find... Just my two cent's worth.
Best of luck to ya in your quest!
Old 07-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Fresh and Salt Water, 14ft and rides dry....
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks for all the info. Price being the issue in these not so great times and the girlfriend already bugging out that I am buying a kayak. DO NOT TELL HER THE FULL PRICE is the lesson I learned. I went with a Old Town Dirigo 106. I got very good deal at EMS. Vermont had a tax free weekend, last weekend.

I will use this boat for a couple years and then upgrade to a SOT. Joe you were right there are not many choices up here for SOT. + they are lot pricier. I am on the water and thats what I wanted.

Its amazing how many more opportunities the kayak allows. Yesterday in the shallow weedy flats I saw no less than 6, 3 + foot fish. A couple bowfins and some channel cats, 1 good size bass. I am only fishing in 4 feet of water. For knocking around coves it pretty exciting to see fish that size. I actually hooked into 2 channel cats, but was broke off both times. I only had my ultra light with me. The lake was dead calm, so I was just drifting around very slow and I would come to be right over the cats. I was bouncing a little rubber minnow on his head until it pissed him off enough to bite, Couldn't believe it. My line never had a chance in the weeds. That will end as Ordered my rod holders the second I got home. I will be bringing my striper schoolie set up from now on.

Thanks for all the info, i think what I got will work pretty well. Once i move to the coast I will upgrade.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFlea View Post
isam,
I've been on some of the lakes and "ponds" up in VT and I firmly believe you're gonna want something like a 14' SOT - those bodies of water are not small... (Don't Vermonters refer to Champlain as "the big one"?) The 14' boat will make it easier to get from point A to point B; tracks straighter, glide's better and should be a faster boat... SOT v. SIK - safer when fishing; you fall "off" a SOT, you have to fall "out of" a SIK. The SOT will also give more places to mount hardware without the risk of the terminal ends of the nuts&bolts or screws or rivets coming in contact with your flesh! You may also find the SOT to be more durable, usually made of a thicker plastic, allowing it to bounce off some of those rock strewn rivers of yours - the Winooski & Mad just leap to mind!! Keep in mind that SOT's are not made just for the ocean... Next time out try renting a SOT rather than a SIK - you might be surprised! 'course, from what I saw of the kayak offerings in Waterbury, the Stowe area, and Burlington a SOT might be a difficult article to find... Just my two cent's worth.
Best of luck to ya in your quest!
Yea Champlain can get pretty nasty. I intend on staying in the coves and river inlets.
The SOT are much more expensive and harder to find up here. In a couple years I will upgrade. Thanks for the info
Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Laniewski View Post
Fresh and Salt Water, 14ft and rides dry....
Thats a nice setup!

How do you transport that thing? As I said I went with a SIK, just for the price and it will do the job for now. I only make it to the coast a couple times a year. I will rent.

I still haven't hooked into anything long enough to tow me at all. Still looking forward to that.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:49 PM
SS/Veteran

The heritage and the tarpon are great sot boats to consider when you are ready to upgrade,
Keep and eye on the KFS site for used deals. I certainly understand budgets although a boat is somewhere that skimping comes back in a mean way to bite you every time.

Also if your GF is giving you a hard time now, it will only get worse. I set the ground rules before we were married. And it is still a bear. Be upfront; just a friendly piece of advice.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:55 PM

Thanks!

Using google maps just found a nice stretch of river that dumps in Champlain.
Should have some nice fish in it. I have 7 miles to catch something!

check it out. Ill post pics after the trip in a couple weeks.

Its a good size river big enough for 30 foot boats to go up.
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM

Hey Shipwreck,

Whats the KFS site?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsaws View Post
Thats a nice setup!

How do you transport that thing? .
Thule roller rack on the back and saddles on the front. Rides nice up top.