Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Moderator, Team SS

Default Self Recovery!

It can't be stressed enuff, make sure you can do a safe rescue with everyone one of your yaks. Try it out with the diffrent systems you would wear, if you can't do it in a controlled setting with waders and a drytop ect. in the summer. Putting yourself in a real life, stress condition in the cooler times of the year would not be wise.

They all have diffrent quirks, I practiced with my Redfish no problems. Last summer I flipped for the first time without trying to. This time I was in my Adventure, had a problem with the seat tried to fix it and went in, couldn't right it. It was warm out in a lake not far from shore no problem bringing it to shore. Could have been a diffrent story, ocean, bay, cold out, bad weather ect. Dumby me put it off as being a long day and never tried practiced with that boat or thought about it since. I will not be taking it out until I've had a chance to do it and figure out a plan. Be prepared for the worst take no short cuts no fish is worth your life.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Self Recovery!

I could not agree more.
I am installing sea flea/sifisto's step up system this weekend. I am doing it the way Mike did his. I will take pix and post them, but we should all have one.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:09 AM

I just read the post elsewhere re: the incident at Croton. Scary thing to be in the water this time of year and unable to get the yak back over!

My Aegean is 14 feet long and 70 pounds. Is there any realistic way I can really flip that back over if I'm in the water? Pretty unlikely I would flip that, but anything is possible.

Once a certain young lady gets her mini-x I'll have a lighter craft to borrow for Daddy's play time. At 9 feet and 40 pounds, I think I can right that in the water.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Moderator, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiton View Post
My Aegean is 14 feet long and 70 pounds. Is there any realistic way I can really flip that back over if I'm in the water? Pretty unlikely I would flip that, but anything is possible.
You'll never know til you try.

Both of mine are around 70lbs. one 14' and the other 16', the 14' was no problem to flip, don't know why the A was, might have been because I just new I could stand not far away, once I could stand no problem, but when I tried to reenter in chest high water it just flipped back over, so I just dragged it to shore, remebering sifisto's story on how it kept hitting in the head as he tried to get back in. I too am going to go with that leg up system, and to practice.
Also thinking about a paddel float to help

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-26-2008, 05:52 PM
SS/Insider

Boy....I don't know about you guys....

Great thread....SAFETY can't be stressed enough...

Wifee was looking over my shoulder a bit ago :headscratch :

I can almost kiss MY kayak plans goodbye

I thought this would be the year......

Oh Well.........

bOb....ski

When I drink alcohol, I'm an alcoholic. I've switched to Fanta.....you guessed it....I'm FANTASTIC !!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Moderator, Team SS

Mrs. crawdad_flipper, and everyone else
This is a wonderful and safe sport, you just have to take the proper precautions have the right gear, use it and be ready. As you should in everything.

That offer always stands if you want to give it a try bOb....ski

Another note on safety, don't leave the boat if its still floating stay with it, if you can't right it, climp up onto to it anyway, better to get your core outa the water. You can even paddle it upside down, you do have your paddle leashed, right?

If you cant get in it hang on, for more floation and visiblity.

Whatever the reason I will be ready the next time I go in, and I know its not a matter of if, but when.