Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Default Transporting a Kayak

Wanted to get everyons thoughts on transporting your yak with your vehicel.

Anyone use a trailer setup?
How aer you attaching the yak to your factory roof rack?
Travel with it hull up or down?

I have an 2005 pathfinder that is pretty tall, and it can be tricky to get the yak loaded up. Any ideas suggestions or pics would be great!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Transporting a Kayak

be interesting to hear as well.

I've got foam blocks I use for my jeep liberty, tie down to the roof rack
that runs parallel to the forward axis.

I've got a set of thule bars that I've used on my car, and just strapped the yak upside down for relatively short (non major highway) runs.

I've got a thule yak carrier (saddle for the front, rollers for the back) I've used on a different jeep, used this on the highway no problem.

I've never tied the front and back down (to the bumpers)... and so far so good, but curious if I really need to do this when the yak is strapped down well?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM
SS/Veteran

I use the Thule hulaport racks on oversized Thule load bars. The hulaport is the system where the yaks ride on their sides. I love it, and have 2 sets of them for both my SIS yaks.

Loading and unloading isn't a big deal.

I always lash the front down, and run the GSP with the back tied down. Once on the island I take off the stern strap.

Also, with the elongated load bars I can fit the two yaks and a four pair Thule ski rack up there to travel my rods.

Makes life real nice.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:17 PM
SS/Veteran

Lots of questions here. Thats cause there are lots of ways to do it.

Trailering--I for one have never trailer a yak. I know some who do it, but they are in the minority. Biggest problem is where to park it. Usually guys that trailer are doing it for multiple yaks.

Foam Blocks-- They work, but with alot of caveats. They will 'oil-can' a hull-down transported yak. That means they will bend the hull in the shape of the blocks, that shape looks like an oil can. Best bet is to lightly strap it down and then secure with a bow and stern line. They also tend to scratch your car. You can put the blocks around your factory rack cross bars or thule type cross bars, but sliding in on and off does not work so well. Also they are very hard to transport hull down with.

Hull up or down.-- I like down. It is more areodynamic and you are using the strongest part of the yak (gunwales) to rest on the bars or pads. However many times rigging and pole holders do not allow for it to lie flat or worse you cannot slide the yak on and off. Riding right side up is ok, just remember your boat will oil can in about 10 minutes and it does not always pop out.

Racks--As much as I hate to say it a good thule rack is the way to go. They have quite a few styles. I have the J style which makes me nervous as my yak is 14 ft long and wide, it is like putting a sail on your truck. But you wont damage the hull. I also have 05 pathfinder and getting it up there is not easy. But it is a very tried and true method. The saddle and roller style that Rob has is very good and supports the yak in such a way that oil canning is unlikely. Just dont cinch it down tight and rely on bow and stern tie offs always. Rob if you have that style, keep it. Just always use the bow and stern lines, they are a cheap insurance policy. I have recently paid $400 for the thule hullavator which brings the cradle down to the side of the car and then you lift it up with a hydroulic lift assist. Very snazzzy and good for the back. I yak alot and it makes sense for me. The thule rack also has a bike rack, a ski/pole holder rack, a big storage box, a rod box and I can put 2 yaks on it. One of the best all around investments I have ever made. Factory racks worry me. I dont trust them.

Hope that helps, if you have any more shoot em on back over.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Thule racks are the way to go. I have a thule rack on every truck since 1989. They have carried everything from a 14' alum boat upside down upwards of 100 2x4's. They will carry the weight.

Oil canning is a issue with every kayak no matter what. It is easy to fix, all you need is a heat gun and apply some heat to the area that has canned and push out from the inside, once pushed out hit it with some cool water. It doesn't require alot of heat and won't damage the boat. We would get our orders of boats at the shop and I would usually have to pop out a few cans before they went on the floor.

The best way is the easiest for the user. The pads are ok and I did sell alot of them thru the shop but thule was hands down the best seller.

I use surfboard pads and the yaks upside down on my camper or truck cap and I travel 3 hours at 70mph average and I have never had a single problem.