Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Wader Test Video By Jim Sammons****Myth Buster!*****

I do not rememer reading this on this site, but never hurts to post something good again if I did...

I stole this post from another site...poasted by Angler_X. I figured no reason to retype what he put up already...

"Just saw this video on Youtube. Jim shows a full submersion test and swim with splash top, PFD, and Belt and also just waders with no top, PFD or belt.

This video shows the results of a dunk test, dive test and full swim while wearing waders for kayak fishing. Includes a shed down segment to see where water penetrated in his first layer. The communication in this video is great with some humor tossed in.

Well done Jim and thanks for making the video. "

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Wader Test Video By Jim Sammons****Myth Buster!*****

Nice, good luck catching fish in a pool. I think this video is the height of irresponsibility.

No surf. No waves. No current. No wind. He stayed submersed for all of 10 seconds. No gear tethered to yak. Sunny day in Calf. Arms reach from the side of the pool.

I have no fear with my 6 year old jumping in the pool without his pfd. But I would never toss him in the surf without it. nuff said.

I know Jim is the real deal and has done and pioneered many things in the world of Kayak fishing. Trouble is most here dont paddle in sunny california with a mother ship close by.

Jim is responding to my and others posts who know or knew people who have died in a yak. We said it was an acceptable method (I use it, but with extreme fear and in good company) but that caution is important. He is being vindictive and petty. This is not about personalities but life and death. I hope his business does not get sued. Some folks here are newer yakkers not experienced guides with chase boats in 80 degree weather.

For the life of me I cant figure out why he is being so flippant. If you get parted from your yak in any kind of open sea or rough rips and expect to stay alive for the LOOONG time it would take for the coast guard to come get you, it would not be a rescue but a recovery.

Tell you what, impress me by hopping off a rock at Race Point and going for a nice 2 or 3 hour float in 55 degree water with the current pulling you for a few dozen miles. Then do a funny little video.

My level of respect for him has fallen a great deal with this stunt.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 PM

I have been saying for along time that I don't think that waders are safe on jetties or kayaks. If they do get full of water you will have a hell of hard swimming.

What I don't like is that the kayak is empty no gear at all. I wonder if its that easy to flip a yak loaded with gear over? He has not remotely even come close to a real life situation and your right the video is a jab at people that question it.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 PM

I don't think gear is much of an isssue for an adult....my 15' prowler flips upright pretty easily fully loaded in the surf....if the rods are up I get a little more resistance but not much....

I have absolutely no problem with waders for yaking....but anyone that does, shouldn't wear them, obviously...

I have two pairs one for winter, camo hoges that are very clunky but warm...the other are high end orvis bootie types with shoes...filled both with water and a pfd and bouyancy was very similiar to dry waders....much more difficult to remove though, feet stuck in lined boots....dropped the boots on the light ones and they came off easy and when inverted, floated and inflated easily as additional floatation to pfd....wouldn't want to swim in either very far full of water but where am I swimming too???

the issue with waders that are full of water, in my opinion, is the additional weight lifting yourself out of the water back onto the yak...at 8lbs/gal water gets heavy in a hurry...in the water your at equilibrium, above the water your not...winter waders full of water, linning soaked, I couldn't get back onto the yak....light weights, no problem after I stripped them to my waist...

most of people's concern about wadders seem to be around diseaster scenarios...your waders are full of water (somehow), your alone , you have no way to communicate , no one knows where you are , your in an endless rip ...your yak is gone .... in this low probability case of all of the above, worst of circumstances, my priorities are first staying above water and then staying as warm as possible .... I am sure that my survival chances would be higher with waders (floatation and warmth) then with out them....plus with legs inflated and sticking out of the water (light weights) you have a higher profile to be seen ....

give me a pfd, a belt, and a knife and some survival practice...I'm very comfortable with the safety of waders yakking!

as far as the video....imho, the video was focused on a single issue only...how much water do you actually get in waders if you use them correctly (or even incorrectly) and can you maneuver at all when they are full of water....just an an attempt to remove a little of the myth that waders are a death trap waiting to happen... that if they fill with water, you will not be sucked down instantly to the bottom and suffer a horrible death.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

I agree with all above.

Speaking of kayak safety remember that TV commercial for Nissan (?) where the yakker is lost in the fog and uses his remote door lock gizmo to make his horn and lights flash? I always thought to myself I hope that fool has his keys attached to a safety chain.

Did you look at the listings for "Related Videos"? Apparently are some guys who have a fetish for girls in rubber boots. That's just plain weird!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM

not trying to start a brawl here...just thought it was interesting that the myth of water rushing into your wadders is not as true as I once believed. When it comes to my saftey, I will make the decisions. Additional information just helps make a more informed decision. Do I think the wader option is the best option...no. But it is an option for those that do not have a dry suit.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:32 PM
SS/Veteran

No worries, I am not brawling. I also appreciate your contribution.

I just care alot about safety and we lose too many kayakers.
People who know me, know I am a darwinist. I really believe in thinning the herd. I mourn for kayakers who do it right and still meet their demise.

However, for the folks who do it wrong and tempt fate meh.

I just do not want this site to be complicant in making a joke out of a serious decision. Many new yakkers read this board and while the dry top wader combo is a viable solution, it needs to be approached with caution and an educated point of view. Not a joke and an attitude of invulnerability.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
I just do not want this site to be complicant in making a joke out of a serious decision. Many new yakkers read this board and while the dry top wader combo is a viable solution, it needs to be approached with caution and an educated point of view. Not a joke and an attitude of invulnerability.

I agree 100%
Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 AM
SS/Veteran

I am posting a link to another site. It is very important you read at least the first post.
Please remember, here on the striper surf NOTHING about what we do resembles a pool in La Jolla California.

There are times and places for wader drytop. There are others that ARE NOT. Please new kayakers, if you are in big, cold, moving, surf, rips, open ocean think about a drysuit or wetsuit. If you cant afford one, do something else.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t...2/m/6461004494
Old 03-27-2008, 10:53 PM

Ship,

Good call on posting that link. I read that the other day and it really gave me pause to think. I'll be flipping the Aegean on purpose as soon as I can stand the water and practicing self-rescue. I'll do the same with Hannah's mini-x, as will she.

I'm chomping at the bit to get out there, but it's not worth dying over. I'm planning to hit the bay from A21 the second Saturday in april, but only if the water and air temps make it look safe enough for me to take the shot with the basic gear I have.

Please stay safe folks!