Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Default Yaking Safty

I know most of you have all the right stuff and use it especially the orb on your neck, but I don't want to be reading about anyone else especially anyone I know.

Dress for the water not the air temp
Wear your PFD
Keep a eye on conditions and others around

NJ State Police Boating Safety manual

maybe its been up before but always worth it, mostly for stinkpots, but info about lighting and rights of way ect....
Always good to know what that motor boat is supposed to do and what the light are for, but also be aware they may not have a clue and be safe.

Have some common F'n sence use your head under estimate your ablities, don't do more then you safely can, always be prepared for the worse and have a plan.

I would say always paddle with a buddy, but that would be hypocritical and not always on the table.
i.e. Me personally freshwater, calm salt ok by myself,
raritain Bay, Atlantic Highlands marina on a summer weekend with all those motor boats no way
ocean never alone

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Yaking Safty

Amen Pat, and thanks for bringing this up. We are a family here and WE ALL DO NOT want any of our SS.c brothers and sisters hurt.
Heed the warnings folks.
I also paddle alone out in the Sedges and I know that's not a great idea either. So, post it here when you go out and try to get a bud here to go with you.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Laniewski View Post
I also paddle alone out in the Sedges and I know that's not a great idea either.
Shipwreck and I were out in the yaks when you were down this year, where were you??? You could have paddled with us. I think you went home early, right before I hit the Island.

You won't have to paddle alone if you'd wait til I got there!!!

Panic kills!!!

If you're prone to; irrational fear, freaking out when lost in the bay at night, or self-doubt in your abilities, don't fish from a yak.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tank View Post
Panic kills!!!

If you're prone to; irrational fear, freaking out when lost in the bay at night, or self-doubt in your abilities, don't fish from a yak.
I will admit I do start to freak a bit but stayed calm after going for a nitetime paddle on the looks for rumored alligator gar. Well after awhile I did get disoriented and kept going up the wrong channel to a dead end.
Hope the pic does it justice
By the way the put in is less then a mile from my house, its were I grew up and was my "wilderness" to explore, also as the crow flys its about 5 miles from NYC and I could see the Empire State Building, but still couldn't find my way to solid ground.
Attached Images

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tank View Post
Shipwreck and I were out in the yaks when you were down this year, where were you??? You could have paddled with us. I think you went home early, right before I hit the Island.

Oh, I was there, Stealth Brother, Stealth,,,, the only way I can learn all the secrets of Fish Tank Hank....
Old 12-28-2007, 06:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by row4fun View Post
I will admit I do start to freak a bit but stayed calm
The "freak out" is what's necessary to overcome to build confidence. One must continue to breath properly, and control their heart rate. Shallow, fast, repetitive breathing WILL, bring on a panic attack. It causes hyper ventilation, and outside of some zanax, valium, or alprozalam the only thing that will bring one back from that, is someone standing there making the person breath into a paper bag. It's oxygen poisening. A panic attack will cause a person to have a feeling of suffocating, irrational thought, and in the worst cases loss of consciousness. It would be very bad to get that in a kayak when lost.

My Ex-fiance used to suffer from that. I've seen it CLOSELY. {She had it before she met me. I may not of helped it, but I surely didn't cause it. }

I got lost in the bay at night a few times before I had my gps unit. Actually, that's why my parents bought it for me. The worst time was, I launched from the anchorage, and had my bearings set. However, I questioned my spacial judgement and distance about a half hr. into the paddle to my destination.

The night was pitch black and the ambient from the mainland blocked out the islands I was looking for. I realized I was lost when I paddled into the far channel marker that wasn't lit, and noticed that the power plant, which should have been off my right shoulder was off my left.

I paddled north, and almost ran into a sailboat on anchor without lights on. That was about an hour after I realized I didn't know where I was at. Then I paddled east to land. Then I paddled south for about 2hrs in a 15mph headwind. Eventually I saw other guys launching and I had my bearings. My hands were screaming from driving the paddle into that wind.

Once back at the launch, I asked the guys where I went wrong and they pointed me in the right direction. I slept for about 2hrs. to work off the adreniline rush and went back out. I had tons of action on schoolies and blues that morning, and wondered what I missed dick'n around paddlin'.

Bottom line, I put myself into the kayak and that position, it's up to me to get out of it. It's a big bay at night.

Don't Panic Ever... remember, safety first kids!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 AM
SS/Veteran

I have been relatively lucky. Whenever I got into what might have been a bit sticky I had the GPS with me.
The only time I got lost at night was not an emergency by any stretch, me and BennyRaw were out and I was paddling in a direction I usually dont go in and in about 10 minutes I had no idea where I was. Me and Benny had the sods on our right so we just kept looking.
I felt silly.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:46 AM

Lighthouse to the SE and the power plant to W and dark to the E. There are also many ariels that dot the western horizon. Sometimes a chart, compass and a few minutes work out better than electronics. Too many people rely on the instruments and not the instincts. If your GPS went in the drink could you get home? Do you carry a back up? Compass and chart? If you know the charts and you know how to use a compass then your set. NEVER rely on something that can break down. Everyone should know how to navigate by chart and compass. If you cannot read a chart and all the lights, Buoys and landmarks on it then you do not belong on the water whether its in a boat, yak, sailboat, day or night. I have never had a gps and I have yet to need one. No machine could ever make up for knowledge of your area and the charts or topo maps that go with it. Study the sod pics on google earth and get the charts for Barnegate bay. You can get a waterproof map envelope and keep it right on the boat. There are many compass's out there as well and the best thing is they don't need batteries. Basic navigation is key and there are several schools in NJ that you could take navigation classes at. Sea School is one and then there is a sailing school in Pt. Pleasant as well. Getting there and back without having to rely on any machine other then your brain is priceless. Knowledge is key to survival not technology.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:37 PM

My Ex-fiance used to suffer from that. I've seen it CLOSELY. {She had it before she met me. I may not of helped it, but I surely didn't cause it. }

Was that right after you told her you liked her meaty hips?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 AM
SS/Veteran

Good Point Mr. F

I have a hand held compass that is always, always in the ditch bag. I cant remember the last time I turned on my gps. I set the way points long ago and except for battery changes

Reliance on equipment instead of your brains is not good. Many folks think if they have a PFD on they are bulletproof. Not so. In another thread I likened PFDs to seat belts. They will do the job they are desinged to do and nothing more. Seat belts dont help much when you hit a tree at 70mph.

Sea School is a great idea (I cant remember who first suggested it to me) and I have been researching it. I am pretty motivated to go through with it. Sooner or later we are going to get tired of a kayaker dying every month and we will have to start getting serious.

The most dangerous part of a yak is the price. Just cause you can afford to buy a really cool piece of equipment dont mean you can operate it. Ask John Denver.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
Seat belts dont help much when you hit a tree at 70mph.

That statement is absolutely false. They really do and they allowed me to walk away.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Thankfully. I, sadly, knew a few who didn't.
That statement was meant to be rhetorical. And I hope no one thinks that I advocate not wearing them. The idea behind the statement was that just cause you are wearing them does make you immortal.

You know that anyway, quit giving me a hard time you big bully. The Mitsubishi looked great!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:07 AM

I've had the good fortune to go out with some more experienced kayakers a few times. Listening and watching does a whole lot more for me than reading books and internet articles. Those guys are experiences paddlers, but not kayak fisherman, so it's time to move on to the next step for me.

I think it comes down to using your head. I'm learning where my skill level is (still fairly low on the yak). I compare that to the actual risk in any paddle I am contemplating. I'm looking to push my personal envelope without placing myself in extreme danger. PFD, phone and light in a dry bag, bottled water, a paddle leash, and a float plan left with my wife allow me to feel comfortable paddling Barnegat Bay during the day. I will not go out at night until I learn the landmarks better or have somoene to go with. If my sense of direction was a GPS unit I'd return it for a refund!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 PM

A gps today is a minimum safety and convenience device that no one should go out into unfamiliar areas without...compass and charts are backups only....when the fog is on the water or when you have no landmarks, a compass and a chart not going to help you find your way out of a maze of channels most which deadend. When I get caught where I have very limited visability and still have to move, I'll take a gps that shows me WHERE I AM relative to potential dangers (eg navigation channel) over I compass and a chart that shows me WHERE I THINK I AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 PM

Electronics do fail. When you take your CG captains exam they do not hand you a GPS to navigate with nor do they allow you to use one. If your gps failed would you know how to navigate back in the dark with a compass and a chart. Do you know how to read a chart? The symbols and lights on a chart can save your life if and only if you know what you are looking at and looking for. Is it a fixed or flashing light that you need to find? Do you know the difference on a chart? How many seconds apart are the flashes supposed to be? Seriously these are some of the most important things that you need to understand to navigate by chart. Again if you cannot read a chart correctly and accurately you do not belong on the water in any vessel. Thats the problem with so many people these days. Just because you have it doesn't mean that you know what you are doing.