Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 01-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Moderator, Team SS

paddlesportMARCH 18, 19 & 20 in Somerset NJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Moderator, Team SS

paddlesportMARCH 18, 19 & 20 in Somerset NJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-24-2005, 09:49 AM

Wow! I will miss the Fly Fishing show; this one looks great!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:19 AM

It's not a show. It's a sales event put on by Jersey Paddler. They call it a show because it sounds a lot better. It is worthwhile but it lacks kayak fishing gear as they don't know anything about it and other then some rod holders don't sell any. We have much more. Also only items that the Paddler sells in their retail store will be there.

The WS Pro Fisherman who'll be in the WS booth to answer questions got his stuff from us and JoeV (our NE rep) outfitted the kayak for him.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:37 AM
SS/Veteran

save your money and time and just go to NJPaddler store if you really want to. You wont see allot of fishing stuff or a variety of fishing yaks. Shows are cool because of all the different vendors/displays. This is a one trick pony.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:20 PM

john it sounds like sour grapes to me i've been to this show and it's great
Old 02-08-2005, 02:02 AM

How could they take the contents of their store and fill a venue like the Somerset exhibition center? Is the store really that large? They must bring in some additional content, else I can't see how they'd come out ahead by renting a musoleum like that.

Anyway, I canoe, too, and like to check out new stuff if there's a critical mass of it.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:42 PM

sandyhooker the last time i went there were probably about 80 to 100 venders its not just their store if you never went and are into paddling it really is a good show
Old 02-12-2005, 06:21 AM

Walt, if you were talking to me I did say that it is worthwhile but this is not a show and there is nothing there that isn't at the store. If one is looking for kayak fishing gear it's lame. Other then some factory angler kayaks and a some Scotty rod holders there's nothing there for the kayak fishermen.

Here's how it works. You pay to see all the stuff you could see at the store if you looked around. It has the advantage that all the manufacturers are there and because of this you'll get much better info then if you went to the store. That's why it is worthwhile. I go too so I don't have to go out to Salt Lake to the Outdoor Show. There will be some staff fishing pros at a couple booths. I know one pro who'll be there and JoeV rigged his Tarpon for him last weekend with stuff he got from us.
If a company wants paddler to sell their product then they have to do the event. Paddler sells a lot of gear so they have a lot of muscle. Don't do the event then your product won't get ordered. That's the reason some major manufacturers aren't represented. If it were a show then they'd want to participate but the cost is too high for some and I've been told by a number of reps, company owners, etc. That they won't play the game. Many do because it is profitable for them. Some vendors have pulled out. One seat and accessory manufacturer is a perfect example. The event costs them $2500 for the booth, airline, shipping the merchandize, lodging, etc. Paddler was only buying about 4K in product from them over the course of a year. They stopped doing it because they were loosing money. I know one of the kayak companies pays over 10K in total expenses to be there. They have to bring the product, pay employees, pay lodging, meals, etc. They do it because Paddler sells a lot of their yaks and it is still profitable. A vendor isn't allowed to bring all their products either. If Paddler doesn't sell it then they can't bring it. The reason there seems to be so much more stuff then at the store is because this is inventory that the companies bring. It isn't inventory from the store. Whatever they don't sell goes back to with them to their companies.

It's a very good event for non kayak fishing folks as that is Paddlers specialty.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:25 AM

We've looked into setting up a kayak fishing Show. Something similar to the The Fly Fishing Show, with seminars by experts and all the stuff for the sport. I don't think that the market is quite ready for it yet. In a couple years things should be different.