Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Summer Fishing?

Reflect upon the so-called "summer doldrums" which we hear so much about. What are your veiws about fishing the striper surf at the height of summer? I have a lot on the subject but you first.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Summer Fishing?

Well in New Jersey we pretty much have bluefish and fluke (Summer Flounder) during the day which are obtainable from the surf along with doggies, skates, sea robins and cownosed stingrays.

At night, there are still bluefish and some pretty nice sharks along with northern kingfish and croaker as well as the aforementioned undesireable species.

I have caught a few striped bass in NJ during the Summer months and I always got them very early in the morning until about a couple hours after first light. Usually after a storm system on clams or Quahogs for our New England friends.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:30 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

There are resident bass and, this year, weakfish in the backbays available throughout the summer, mostly at night. Problem is most folks don't want to look like they've walked out of a knife-fight when their done fishing for the night... due to greenheads, no-see-ums, gnats, mosquitos the size of hummingbirds, and of course, black flies. All of whom seem to specialize in night attacks on denizens of the sod banks.

Thus backbay fishing tends to be limited to a few good fishing bridges, and boats, but even boaters don't like to go too deep in the "cricks" where most of the bass and weaks are.

But they are there.

As Benny said, down here in the grand state of South Jersey, most have switched to *flounder* (not Jason's flounder and they're not called "fluke" down heauh) along with the other summer fare.

Interestingly there are stripers on the ocean front but many fewer and harder to get to with all the "trash" fish around.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Down here, our best Summer fishing is for Snook, Red and Black Drum in th Lagoons and Snook Red Drum and Baby Tarpon (up to a little over 200 lbs. in the surf.
BillH
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 PM
SS/Veteran

In New England there are no summer doldrums. My best fishing in Boston was consistently late July through late August (my best night was July 20th two years in a row) and I frequently had very good fishing with 30+ lb fish in the canal the first two weeks of August. This time of year the fish often settle into a pattern and if you figure it out you can get consistent fishing.

May and June are for people who want to fish during the day.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Inspiration for me putting this up is I know someone who has contact with the public who just said that Rhode Island stripers move offshore because of the warm water along the beach. I think the worst sin for a person is to teach something that is not true. He also once said to a lot of people that stripers will not hit after ten o'clock at night.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:04 PM
SS/Veteran

I don't fish the beaches much between mid-June and Labor Day, but it's not because of the fishing -- it's because of all the yahoos on the beaches. July and August are for body surfing, barbecues, and getting loaded; when all the nitwits leave at the end of the summer, I start thinking about fishing again.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Caught two in five minutes using a deadly dick, right off the shore in five feet of water yesterday. Woods Hole knows no doldrums...during the summah at least.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM

Frank some of the best bass fishing through the years was from Mid July through August and in the daytime. It was consistent and predictable when going every day.
That's not to say night fishing wouldn't have been good but it was much easier to fish charters in the daylight than at night as long as it was productive.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 PM

i love the summer. everything but stripers on my mind. toss out of piece of meat and you never know what you're gonna hook into! certain crustaceans that you dig along the shoreline also work well. plus you never know when spanish or albies or bones will pop up! i keep trying for a shore caught cobia but struck out to date..
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM
SS/Veteran

The middle of summer is also one of my favorite times. The canal is usually void of the seasonal anglers that chase the spring run of bass. Its my favorite time to use eels on the bottom. I hear people say the fishing is slow because of lack of bait, however as long as there are crabs and lobsters there is always bait in the canal!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Inspiration for me putting this up is I know someone who has contact with the public who just said that Rhode Island stripers move offshore because of the warm water along the beach. I think the worst sin for a person is to teach something that is not true. He also once said to a lot of people that stripers will not hit after ten o'clock at night.
Was listening to ESPN radio on my commute in this AM. For some reason they were talking about cows and rain. Some one wrote into the show saying when the cows lie down, the fish don't bite. Maybe it's the same guy
Haven't wet a line since the crowds showed on the 4th.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM

The notion that fish don't bite in summer is very dependent upon which end of the striper coast one is talking about. I believe that east of Montauk, and I have never fished either there or west of there, fishing holds up all summer. One of my fifties was taken in late July in RI. Summers on the Cape, back when there was a Cape, we caught fish all summer. The Canal, P-town, Maine, Boston all produce all summer long. There are so many myths that relate to striper fishing.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Someone from Massachusetts told me that in the summer it is hot during the day but at night somewhat cools off. He said here on Long Island it is still steamy at night. That type of a climate difference must be reflected in the marine environment as well.

It's not until you hit Montauk where the coast takes on a different scene. Steep bluffs, rocky shores, and cooler deep rip currents that are close to shore. Large bass can be caught all summer long. Especially, if you're willing/able to trek over rocks for miles from the parking lot. It helps to be a fit 25 year old and able to lug a 35 lb. striper over your shoulder for the journey back. The humid 80 degree heat in the dead of the night is delightful.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
The middle of summer is also one of my favorite times. The canal is usually void of the seasonal anglers that chase the spring run of bass. Its my favorite time to use eels on the bottom. I hear people say the fishing is slow because of lack of bait, however as long as there are crabs and lobsters there is always bait in the canal!
Yep, there's no real lack of bait, it's just not as obvious as the when schools of migrating are moving through in Spring and Fall.