Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Buying my first "real" surf reel & rod

Surprised nobody else mentioned this, but the Tica 2-6 is really too stiff for plugging except for metals over 2oz. If you want to toss swimmers or poppers that rod is less than ideal. Overall, you can plug with that rod, but it really limits your options as far as lure choice.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 PM

Good point.

I was casting ava's and hopkins shorty's and it was HURLING them. I was thrilled. I suppose thats just over 2oz?

HOwever, I wondered how the TICA would be with a 1oz or so minnow... Didnt really try it.

My other usable rod is a steelhead rod... 8' 6" 3/8 - 1oz. Med. I thought it a hair light... I have a lighter, smaller reel with 200 yds 20lb EZbraid on that one. It feels like a million bucks with lures from 7/8 to a guess a little over 1oz, but I wasnt sure if it would handle a striper. Its not a name brand, but that steelhead rod feels great. Just dont know if its going to handle a big surf fish tugging away at it!

I also have a 7' rod... MedHeavy 1/2 - 2 oz. Its not a quality rod though, and is shorter than I prefer. I have this setup as a spare.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:03 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Again, it depends on the rod

Tica's seem stiff for their rating, at least the 11' dolphin I have does.

The lami seems ideal for all except the lightest lures but I have a tsunami That can handle those
Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Unfourtunately as far as surf fishing there is no such thing as an all purpose rod, either for plugging or bait fishing. If there was a rod that could do it all it would be a lot easier and save us a ton of money.
Without seeing it I would say the 8 1/2 ft. steelhead rod mentioned would be good for throwing bombers and soft plastics and use the Tica for metals and large plugs.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Unfourtunately as far as surf fishing there is no such thing as an all purpose rod, either for plugging or bait fishing. If there was a rod that could do it all it would be a lot easier and save us a ton of money.
Yeah, its looking that way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
Without seeing it I would say the 8 1/2 ft. steelhead rod mentioned would be good for throwing bombers and soft plastics and use the Tica for metals and large plugs.
I took the steelhead rod out to a local pond today. Does a very fine job of casting the plugs: yo zuri crystal minnow, some big jointed thing, and a redfin. I think this ranges from 3/4 to about 1 1/2 oz.

In fact, the very first cast of the day was the redfin. Not as far as the other 2 plugs, but a 18" pickerel seemed to think it was good enough!

I need to get to the beach.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

that steelhead rod is probably good enough for all except big plugs and metals, as Kroc says.

looked at the rating of my "light" Tsunami Trophy and it's 1/2 to 2 oz, and I find I can throw almost everything, though the bigger plugs really go farther with a different rod.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Rob- if so I am OK with that. The bigger plugs (I dont even own one yet!) and the metal will be fine with the TICA rod. I have fished that and was quite happy with the way it handled 2oz-3oz metal.

Looking to get down the shore next weekend, so I'll try both rods out.

Adding to the fun is my recent garage sale find. A box of Penn, ocean city, and misc reels... and hiding in the midst were 2 VERY nice condition Penns- a 710 Greenie and a 712z. oooopha!

710 Greenie on the steelhead rod... baitrunner on the TICA... fishing next weekend!