Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Book Talk: Fly Fishing the Striper Surf

As most here on SSF knew, I spent many years equally surf and boat fishing for Stripers in northern MA, NH and ME. But, I and most of my friends' boat-fishing time was after dark. The exception was in the early fall when the bass were schooled up and were migrating south along the coast. We went to the boats, not because of a fear of the dark but, because it opened up a vast new area to fly fish; and the fish were there..
BillH
Old 01-31-2014, 10:40 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Bill, we don't bash boat guys here, heck Jason and Tin Boat and you are all great representatives of really good (to great) anglers who happen to fish or have fished in boats!

Still, you got to admit Frank's quote is a gem!
Old 01-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

People who come here and know me after years of reading my work ought to know exactly how and why I say things about boat fishing. I say it on stripersurf.com and the above quote appeared in the Surfcasters Journal. What am I supposed to do, moose hunting?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Rob,
I wasn't reacting to a perceived put-down on boat fishing. I was just expanding on what I had already posted to this thread about fly fishing from boats earlier and why many of us chose or choose to to fish from boats..

Frank, I'm sure you wrote what you did half expecting to get a rise out of me and a few others who are not purist surfcasters, and you did.

This has been an interesting thread and I hope it keeps going.
BillH
Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 PM

I have been known to fish conventional gear which is what I started using when quite young. I still like Squidders. I have been known to use spinning gear, what I also learned on after conventional. I fish from the beach and the rocks. I fish from boats and kayaks. I would troll from a float plane or an oil tanker if I thought it would work. I have caught trout in a mountain stream from horseback.

This is a large tent with a lot of opinions and experience. I would like to think that surfcasters and boaters both understand that there is a time and place for both, that each has its own virtues and that catching fish requires innovation, originality and an open mind. Anything less is short-sighted.

DP
Old 02-01-2014, 01:28 PM

I don't think it reasonable for people to criticize the web-master of a surf forum for not having an interest in boat fishing. All i am doing is being true to my mandate here. I don't want to rant on and on about some cheap effort to sell books. I don't need anybody's eight bucks, what I make when you buy one. But I have noticed, and remember I am in my 15th year doing this Internet gig, the misunderstandings all come from people who have not read my books. I love this guy who came here last year and moaned mightily about my boat put downs while he was here selling his boat fishing book. You can bet he never read any of my books either. It is so easy to tell.
Don't buy and read any of my books; just be careful what you say because you are going to make a fool out of yourself.

Those who read my books know that ours was a family operation that would not have lent itself to boating with small kids in a hostile Atlantic. They would know we found safety in the beach. They would know we did not have the money to equip ourselves with a large enough trailerable vessel. They would know that I had developed a widely known reputation as a surfcaster. This is only a partial list of the idiesyncratics of lifestyle to which, over time, I had inexorably became committed. Don't read my books because if you haven't done so by now, its not ever going to do you any good. And if you choose to take me on, some where in one of those eight books, the defence has already been written.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:20 PM

I own and have read all of your books. I thoroughly enjoyed them as I have others by people you know named Woolner and Lyman.

If you are suggesting my post was critical of anyone specifically, you do not understand my message which is about fishing, enjoying and communicating. Nothing more and nothing less.

If I say I enjoy surfcasting, that should not be construed as a criticism of boat fishermen. If I say I enjoy boat fishing, that should not be construed as as an indictment of surf-fishermen. None of what I wrote was an indictment of anyone but a personal observation that there are lots of ways to skin the proverbial cat.

DP
Old 02-01-2014, 04:11 PM

Dwight, you don't have any reason to defend. And people who come here are not required to read my books. I think getting pushy on my part to sell books is tacky. What I am saying is that when people come here with the wrong attitude, have me all wrong, and drop criticism they sometimes don't know enough about me and had they read more of my work they would have a more accurate feel of what I am all about.

Some of you may recall Ray Jobin, the Squid Beaumont character in Eastern Tides. Where are you going to find a more lovable character in any of my writing? Ray was/is one of the best striper boat fishermen that ever rode the waves. He was a brother to me. If you didn't read about Ray, you would not have any inkling of that.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:00 PM

i'm not kidding, frank - 'eastern tides' will make a great screenplay.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Thank you, Rob. That has also been said about Twenty Years on the Cape but good stories are all over. And in order to get that kind of attention you have to have a good agent with the right connections. Even then, my specialty is not something with widespread appreciation. Surfcasting, like hunting, does not get sufficient media attention because those people have enough popular choices to promote without stepping into the muck of controversy.

Ever notice that the big newspapers won't cover soccer in their sport pages? Ever notice that big city papers have dropped outdoor columns? The Boston Globe, which until recently was an offshoot of the New York Times cannot even write intellegently about roadkill events or bear sightings. They don't care about that stuff because it is country news. They want to stroke the millions more of city readers. Notice the TV shows do more to promote "Cheers" than "Duck Dynasty". So it is with a fishing book that would please a woefully small segment of our culture. Thanks, anyway.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
i'm not kidding, frank - 'eastern tides' will make a great screenplay.
I agree. Look at "A River Runs Through It". It's about fishing and family dynamics. Between "Eastern Tides" and "Twenty Years", Frank's already written the screenplay. Of course, you could make this into a multi movie operation or a miniseries. To do that, you'd film all the "asides" in Frank's life where he teaches Natalie Wood to swim, the Andrews sisters to sing...stuff like that...
In all seriousness, with the right director, it'd make a great movie.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Who are the preferred cast members?

DP
Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 AM

'eastern tides' is not really about the striper hunt, it's about family and friends coping with a passion. it has a beginning, a meaty middle, and a good ending. in that light, it's a viable silver screen pg venture, which in contrast to the krap junk coming out of lala land these dayze, that alone is refreshing. your story runs the gamut of emotions and will have a very wide reaching audience if the screenplay is correctly written. yes, going from printed word to film is a tougher task than scoring a 50+ off the surf, but aren't both tasks worthy - if yer up to the struggle?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmontogue View Post
Who are the preferred cast members?

DP
the upfront absolute keystones are the screenplay, producers, director - the rest will follow suit nicely (the actors).

best to have high profile actors, which accounts for half the box office sales even if the flick is krap. actors, mostly being of head-in-the-clouds types, need to get impassioned about the script. i've got my list ....
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
I agree. Look at "A River Runs Through It". It's about fishing and family dynamics. Between "Eastern Tides" and "Twenty Years", Frank's already written the screenplay. Of course, you could make this into a multi movie operation or a miniseries. To do that, you'd film all the "asides" in Frank's life where he teaches Natalie Wood to swim, the Andrews sisters to sing...stuff like that...
In all seriousness, with the right director, it'd make a great movie.
After "A River...." Came out, fly fishing sales went way up. Newer fly fishermen and the industry refer to it as "the movie". Both the book and the movie gave you a feeling of why people choose to fish this way. Same could be said of "The Perfect Storm"...how to long-line swordfish and why it can be so dangerous....things people wouldn't realize unless they'd been out there themselves.
I'm someone who's fished for many years and never realized how the whole rod n reel commercial industry worked, and it's competition with the boat guys. People, even non-fisherman would find that interesting...along with, fish all night, every night, all summer while living with your family out of a camper. How many people that live far from the coast even realize that existed?