Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Book Talk: Fly Fishing the Striper Surf

The notion of stunt approaches to anything is flawed. For me it is more about what works and what works is often dependent upon something else. For instance, wet suiting depends upon the make up of the shoreline. At Montauk, the "something else" is the highly competetive nature of the place; another factor there might be having rocks to swim out to. For those of us who happen to fish beaches that are not conducive to wet-suiting, we don't even consider wet suiting. I tilt my head a lot in the outdoors, mostly in disapproval of what people do. If you are going to shine your headlamp all over the place and look in back of you a lot, your saying you are afraid of the dark.

I suppose that there are some sportsmen who are victims of the media advertising where they think a participant is supposed to do certain things. Like leemings, they latch on to concepts to be one of the gang. The one that kills me is "flats fishing" where fly fishermen on our striper coast are immatating what is done in the sun for bonefish. It is sooooo cool. Northern striper fishing is done at night and does not necessarily require flats. Hunting has a bunch of similar embarresments that carry over the top ethics about shooting a running deer or shooting one in the butt. But this is a fishing gig so I won't go there.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM

Going over the 2013 Surfcaster Catalog, I counted 41 striper fishing books, nearly all about the striper surf. No wonder my book sales have tanked. Good thing I did what I did when I did it.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 PM
SS/Veteran

[quote=Frank Daignault;2381356]
I suppose that there are some sportsmen who are victims of the media advertising where they think a participant is supposed to do certain things. Like leemings, they latch on to concepts to be one of the gang. The one that kills me is "flats fishing" where fly fishermen on our striper coast are immatating what is done in the sun for bonefish. It is sooooo cool. Northern striper fishing is done at night and does not necessarily require flats. quote]

I'm not sure how to take some of the above, Frank. From about 1970 on I have been an avid saltwater fly fishermen. Flats fishing, which is nothing more than signt fishing is not a practical way of fishing most New England waters.

I'm sure there are som other smaller areas too but, the only places I've done a lot of flats fishing in New England is on Cape Cod's Brewster Flats and Monomoy Flats because I was fortunate to live on the Cape for four years after I retired and spent most of my time in season fishing each of those four years. The only practical way to fish those flats areas successfully is to do it the way the flats are fished in Florida - sight casting from a small boat in daylight.

You couldn't flatsfish at night if you wanted to. And, by the way, Bonefishing is a very small percentage of the flats fishing done in Florida. For every bonefishing trip down here there are at least twenty more trips made seeking Red Drum, Black Drum, Snook. Tarpon and Seatrout sight casting on the flats. The reason it's so popular here is that there are at least two miles of flats for every mile of beach here.

That said, there is plenty of good fly fishing opportunity in New England that is not done on flats. And most of it is not done at night and much of it is done from small boats which you are fond of sayint that you have no use for. I'm reminded of that old New England saying, don't knock it if you haven't done it.

I love to surf fish - and did it often but seldom did it with a flyrod when I lived/fished in New England. I love fly fishing. When I lived in New England I spent about half my time surf fishing at night and ther other half fly fishing from small boats during the day. Not to have taken the opportunity to do both would have been sad to my way of thinking.
BillH
Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 AM

Read it again, Bill.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM
SS/Veteran

I think that when many of us fish in bright sunlight, with flies, or with lures that are usually used at night, we are searching for something different. Many of us are fishing that last phase of our fishing development: Catching a fish on our terms. I'd go hungry and broke if I were money fishing and only fished sunlit flatts with a fly rod, but If I have the opportunity to fish anywhere/anytime, and if I believe there might be fish there, I'll give it a shot.
When I DO flyfish those northern sunlit flatts, I never do it because they do it somewhere else or because Orvis wants me to. I do it because I want to...I like that type of fishing and want to give it a shot...period.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM

I'm not telling anybody here how they should be flats fishing. What I am saying, and pay attention because being misunderstood is a frustration for me, that my wife and I have places that are shallow enough, and large enough, to fly fish in those shallow flats. We do it at night, in waders, and carry a compass. Perceptions that it is boat fishing spring in the minds of our member readers, where they choose to fish which are different from where we choose to fish. Florida bonefish sight fishing done in flats is not how I view striper fishing here in the north. Any effort to make northern stripers similar to southern bonefish is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Stripers need not be immatating another speces because stripers can/will stand upon their own merits as a suitable sport fishing species. N'est pas?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM
SS/Veteran

Thanks for explaining, Frank. Now I understand what your were saying above.

I certainly agree with you when you said, "Any effort to make northern stripers similar to southern bonefish is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Stripers need not be immatating another speces because stripers can/will stand upon their own merits as a suitable sport fishing species. "

That said, I do maintain that sight-fishing for stripers in a suitable area is a very valid way of taking them and on big flats such as Brewster's and Monomoy's is undoubtedly the most successful way of doing so.
BillH
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM

I have heard those things about Brewster and Monomoy inspite of not having done them myself. I'm close to a lot of Monomoy vets in my local hunting and fishing but those guys did those places at night with spinning, I think. I ice fished last week with a guy who was there in the 70s and he admitted that he had no need to ever go back the way things are today. Of course, like me, he was stricken by money fishing and that has a way of corrupting a person's sense of purpose. That is why even on good nights my wife sleeps in the rock piles.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
SS/Veteran

Frank,
Monomoy has some great surf fishing opportunities for anyone who wants to be dropped off by the Rip Rider or another permitted. When I was on the Cape the USF&WS issued overnight permits. You had to be dropped off about 4PM and picked up about 8AM(first and last Rip Rider trips). The surf fishing isn't done on the flats but mainly from the East-facing beaches of both islands and the rip on the South end of Little Monomoy. I understand that for a number of years it was illegal to be on the islands without a permit from USF&WS. They began to issued permits for fishing overnight while I was on cape, probably 2003 or 2004 and, I understand they still do. The flats are mainly concentrated between the two islands in the North-West quadrant.

Like you, I've only heard how good it was in the 70's but, that's over 40 years ago and those islands change constantly. I was on the Cape for four years and during that time the North island joined South beach in Chatham and you could walk across at low tide. The flats changed from year to year also. Pictures are left-Map; middle- a small colonoy of seals on N.Monomoy with a seal-watch boat lower right; right-arial view from N.Island looking over a flat to S.Island.

I wish Tony S. would chime in on this thread because he is the only person I know who has had long-term fishing experience there and is online. Monomoy is a fantastic place to fish and these pictures and map don't show the half of it. Anyone who wants to see more should go on Google and search for Monomoy Islands.
BillH

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Ain't they cute. Here's a few pictures of the seals on the Monomoy Islands. Left - a yearling cub ready to play; Middle- group of big Males- note their heads here and on the right photo; that's where they get the name "horse-head"seals; Right is one of the patriachs of the group with his eye on us like he doesn't trust us. 2nd.row is another bull giving a warning growl. It can be a little disconcerting at night to have one of those in front of you when you go to cast - even more so if he's behind you......
BillH

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 PM

So many things figure in to why the Old Guard doesn't go there any more. Government regs, seals, bass sale restrictions, age issues, some have even died. Sure, the newbies of today might find it exciting but too many of the pieces of what made it work then have been removed. I said in one of my books, "nothing stays the same."

Incidently, I value your photo put-ups here. It enables members to have a feel for the then.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 AM

Surfcaster's Journal, issue #15 ... well deserved review ...

Old 01-30-2014, 09:18 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

great closing line to the review ROTFLOL!
Old 01-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Thanks for putting that up, Rob. I did not know they had reviewed the book back when they did. I have only been reading SJ the last two issues, since I started writing for them some. Isn't the quote they put up a pissah:

"Warning: If you are afraid of the dark, buy a boat and some sunscreen."
Old 01-30-2014, 06:33 PM

"Warning: If you are afraid of the dark, buy a boat and some sunscreen." - an absolutely classic (but totally true) frank daignault euphemism. i love it. who that fishes the striper surf wouldn't agree?