Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Book Talk: Fly Fishing the Striper Surf

Out here in Colorado, people only do fly fishing. When I describe the type of bass fishing I do on the east coast, I usually get asked "Is that like fly fishing?" I am never sure how to respond because the question is so narrow in scope. To me fly fishing is just another tool (that I don't know how to use, by the way), a part of a larger puzzle. Those same fly fisherman could catch their trout using different methods, for instance, but it doesn't seem like they realize that. I think these are the type of people you guys are describing.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Yes, I would say they are the type of people. One of the things I am trying to accomplish is for we, those who fish spinning and conventional, to not be like them. To open the striper surf to all the choices, the way they should open trout fishing to all the choices. There seems to be a separation within both camps -- surfcasting and inland fly fishing -- that excludes choices. Its narrow and unhealthy. I have editors imply through exchanges that fly fishing is not surfcasting. I say if you are fishing from shore--be it squidder, Van Stall or la mouche -- you are surfcasting. But my position is a minority opinion. Images of a person in waders with a long surfrod are what pop up with many people. On the other hand, who cares.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

From what I read, I think Abrams would share your opinion.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Fly fisherman are commonly characterized as effete, coifured, milque toasts who are light on their feet wearing expensive clothes and who are devot catch and release advocates. There is enough sheet hangin from their vests to pass for an electrician. I kind of agree with that.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM

Seeing the great write-up on this book in the new surfcasters journal I thought I would bring it to the top. Great to see you there Frank. I still haven't tried fly fishing but I am warming up to the idea. After I het Eastern Tides this one is on the list.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks for saying, Dennis. I get the Journal but I have trouble navigating in it and didn't see the write up. I will call it up in my in-box and check it out. A few sales might get the book out of its advance so I can take Momma J out for dinnah. Do you knw how to create one of those computer thingies that all you do is click and the story comes up?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Frank,

I think this link will take you there. Go to page 17

try this:

http://issuu.com/surfcasters_journal...&pageNumber=17
Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanks, Rob, it came right up. Pretty nice review. They don't have a by-line for the review. Those guys are beginning to win me over. That is like twice now that I get good ink. (Yur an easy mark, Frank.)
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Having just reread this thread entirely, I think it needs further reflection. It addresses a lot of things about the idiosyncracies of many fly fishermen. It also raises questions about the many things done which are of dubious value.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Having just reread this thread entirely, I think it needs further reflection. It addresses a lot of things about the idiosyncracies of many fly fishermen. It also raises questions about the many things done which are of dubious value.
I bet Tony could add a lot to this topic!

JC
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM

No doubt. I'm sure that as the thread evolves we will get around to fly fishing.

I love talking about the social aspects of fly fishing and its consequences. Both sides -- the New York crowd with their contempt for it and the Orvis crowd with their supremist attitudes. Its kind of fun and kind of extreme, a study in human nature for those of us with minors in Sociology.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank, how is L.L. Bean fly tackle for those who want to get into fly fishing and that want to/can't afford Orvis??

When I started out surfcasting the in vogue surf rod was the $400 custom made one (but weighed a ton and was like a telephone pole compared to todays light blanks). I couldn't afford those..but I could buy one from a large chain sporting goods store. You know..a place you're better off buying a basketball from. The guides would start to fall off during a battle with a 5 lb. bluefish.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
No doubt. I'm sure that as the thread evolves we will get around to fly fishing.

I love talking about the social aspects of fly fishing and its consequences. Both sides -- the New York crowd with their contempt for it and the Orvis crowd with their supremist attitudes. Its kind of fun and kind of extreme, a study in human nature for those of us with minors in Sociology.
Frank, I just put up a hypothetical breachway situation under that thread, but here's a scenario that actually happened to me last May while steelhead fishing you-know-where. The supremacist/sociology/ettiquette thing made me think of it. I was fishing the middle of a large, popular pool, flyfishing with nymphs...upstream a little...let 'em drift then straighten in the current. The two guys upriver (less than a couple hundred feet) were swinging wet flies. The one guy said I was welcome to join their cast out...swing...step downstream...and repeat...cadence. I said "no thanks" and stepped out of the river letting them have at it. I was ready to go elsewhere when the one guy (who was a very polite local, and a few years older) said that he he's trying to get more guys to fish his way and that it's a much more civilized approach. I was nothing but polite back to him...I politely disagreed. I told him that we weren't fishing in a "FF only" section and that both fly and spinning fisherman could ethically drift nymphs, Glo Bugs or salmon eggs through that run and that it is their right to do so. A buddy of mine and I have been going up there for years. On busy days, guys swinging flies, and especially with Spey rods (although it is their right to use them), take up more river space than anybody!!! More thoughts? I realize this applies more to the Salmon River than the salt...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 AM

Frank, how is L.L. Bean fly tackle for those who want to get into fly fishing and that want to/can't afford Orvis??

They both, and I would ad Kittery Trading, are leaders in what is available in fly fishing tackle -- kind of Remington and Winchester-ish. Big game fly rods are much more affordable today and I think that St Croix and Redington are great. Both come with lifetime gaurantees so if you break one you send them the pieces and they send you a new one.

I don't care to be more civilized in the usual sense. To me civilized is a steaming gut pile in a blizzard. I have made a lot of deals in my life and they usually prove to be one-sided. In my marvelous fly fishing book, the one that can't even pay for its own advance, I advocate a little more dirt under the fingernails, even if you have to get it from your wife's cutting garden. Spey rods are nothing more than one more gadget for us to buy. (You did it now, Frank!)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 AM

Indeed, fly fishing gear has never been more affordable. TFO now makes some very good rods for budget prices, orvis and llbean both have a scale of rods from low end to high end "orvis crowd-ish" prices that work fantastic.

But the "orvis crowd" is now more a mentality than an adherence to a particular brand.

The "orvis crowd", IMO, are those who fly fish no matter what the conditions or fish dictate, just because it's fly fishing. Sort of like stunt kayakers who go out for big game fish by riding out on "mother ship's" then getting into the kayaks to catch a mako shark or tuna... I mean, what's the point? Fly fishing "through the ice", two handed rods to get out 150', there are those who just want to participate in what I call "stunt fishing"... just because!