Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Buying a New Reel!

Was thinking on picking up a new reel for my Lami SS101 3/4-2oz. I have a 4000 sustain on it now. the only problem is, with the wind at my back, i can almost spool it on the cast. It doesn't leave me with much line if i get a fish at the end of my cast. I was thinking either the bigger sustain, a penn torque, or vs. any other recommendations would be a help. It will be used strictly for plugging.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Buying a New Reel!

I was thinking of a new reel but all the shops carry a small selection. Do I have to drive out to a Cabelas to see\touch all the new reel offerings?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperKnight View Post
I was thinking of a new reel but all the shops carry a small selection. Do I have to drive out to a Cabelas to see\touch all the new reel offerings?
Fishermens headquarters or fishermans supply carry a decent amount of reels
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 PM

You could check out Sportsmen Center in Bordentown also on Rt 130, they have a pretty nice selection of reels. Oh and Harry's Army Navy is just a bit north on 130 also.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Digital Dagger.com. Best prices and service around.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Don't waste your time, I have seen smaller shops woth better selections of surf related reels. I live about 20 mins from cabelas and its not as good as you would think.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 042801 View Post
Digital Dagger.com. Best prices and service around.
I was looking for a place I could go to actually look/touch all the latest reel offerings.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
I was looking for a place I could go to actually look/touch all the latest reel offerings.
Go to Grumpys they no there stuff have a great selection and will let u touch it...bring your rod they will let u put it on and see if it matches the rod...Shimano Stratic 6000 or the Saragosa my fav reel
Old 12-12-2011, 01:19 PM
SS/Veteran

I am a fan of shimanos, I own a stella, sustain, and stradic. They are great reels, but surf reels they are not. They need to remain out of the sand and don't repond well to a dunking. Get a tiny bit of sand in the drag and its a nightmare. They are certainly better boat reels. I use them at the canal where sand and surf are not a issue.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
I am a fan of shimanos, I own a stella, sustain, and stradic. They are great reels, but surf reels they are not. They need to remain out of the sand and don't repond well to a dunking. Get a tiny bit of sand in the drag and its a nightmare. They are certainly better boat reels. I use them at the canal where sand and surf are not a issue.
I have to disagree at least on the Stratic I have dunked numerous times especially this year had it dragged thru the sand and it still works flawlessly...of course I clean it each time I use it but u should do that with any reel...plus it holds more than enuff braid for surf casting...just my experience...
Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM

I picked up a Shimano Spheros and that reel holds plenty of line. Casts very smooth and has good distance.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin420 View Post
I have to disagree at least on the Stratic I have dunked numerous times especially this year had it dragged thru the sand and it still works flawlessly...of course I clean it each time I use it but u should do that with any reel...plus it holds more than enuff braid for surf casting...just my experience...
Yes it holds plenty of braid, and yes it works fine for surf casting but a surf reel it simply isn't. That's all I'm saying. If you were able to dunk yours a bunch and run it through sand and it worked flawlessly I am only impressed with your ability to keep a reel alive. Without your cleaning efforts a stradic, sustain or stella will rapidly turn into a pile of junk when used in surf conditions.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Senior Member Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
Yes it holds plenty of braid, and yes it works fine for surf casting but a surf reel it simply isn't. That's all I'm saying. If you were able to dunk yours a bunch and run it through sand and it worked flawlessly I am only impressed with your ability to keep a reel alive. Without your cleaning efforts a stradic, sustain or stella will rapidly turn into a pile of junk when used in surf conditions.

My saragosa and my baitrunner both been in the sand and dunked 5 yrs all ive done is hose em off and a little wd no problems

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 12-13-2011, 06:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
My saragosa and my baitrunner both been in the sand and dunked 5 yrs all ive done is hose em off and a little wd no problems
Oh i forgot about my 3 baitrunners that r 6 years old and work perfectly also have been soaked and sanded...I mean what is a "surf reel" really...other than the high$$ ones that r sealed and all.... all reels will fail with out proper mantinence!! I still say stratic is the way to go
Old 12-13-2011, 07:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Don't get me wrong guys I obviously like shimanos but I do think there are reels out there that are better suited for rough use in the surf. The reason I own three is because the shimano drag is outstandingly smooth. Even the baitrunners have excellent drags. I likr rhe older white stradics much more than the newer version.