Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 PM

Default Braid or Mono for Casting Reels?

I enjoyed the discussion in another thread asking the same question for spin tackle. I've been throwing 10lb mono on my Penn 430s spinning reel for small plugs, jigs and bucktails from surf and banks etc. I think I will try some 20lb Fireline to see how it feels and how much more casting distance I can get etc.

Ive been using 15-17lb mono on my surf casting reels throwing 4-5oz weights most often and am wondering if braid would be advised for casting bait? I'm sure this has been asked before but can you guys chime in and say which line you think is better for throwing bait with casting tackle: mono or braid?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Braid or Mono for Casting Reels?

There is a learning curve with braid.
Some people adjust easily while others just don't get it!

For me once I went with braid I never looked back.
Fishing with mono is like using a rubber band for you line.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:29 PM

Yeah I agree Jess. I fish freshwater too and use braid on my heavy frogging and jigging rods - essential for fishing pads and heavy muck or cover. I have not liked braid for crankbaits or other lure presentations in freshwater though. There are negatives to braid - if you get snagged and have to cut the line it stays in the water forever... a nasty pollutant. Of course, it cuts human flesh like a razor. It is opaque and even the so falled "translucent" Firewire looks opaque to me. If you get a birds nest on casting tackle and have to cut it out, it gets expensive.

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to try some Fireline on my light spin tackle for saltwater lure pitching. Still wondering about whether to try it on my casting tackle too... anyone else want to chime in?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 PM

I got braid and omg it is amazing!!! Mono is ok but braid is just awesome. Here is an analogy. Mono is like a toyota works great and reliable and braid is like the lexus lsf!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Personally, for a casting reel, the choice just based on the reasons listed in each of the comments is......Mono. Here is why:

1. If you blow up the reel, getting the birds nest out is almost impossible and it has to be cut...this gets expensive.

2. If you fish with others nearby, if the braid crosses with someone else, you will likely cut their line with your braid.

3. As mentioned, braid cuts like a razor, no joke. If you have to use it, place a mono leader on it so you can grab the line if you have to.

4. Mono is much less expensive to replace.

With some casting reels, if you load up with 15 - 17 lb mono, this doesn't leave you a lot of line on the spool sooooo, you can place 75 - 100 yds of braid as an baclomg and then top off the rest with mono. Less expensive, you can replace the mono, and if you blow up, no big deal. Cut the mono, add more to the braid backing. This gives you more line if you hook a really big fish and it takes you beyond the bar.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM

As much as I don't like braid I have it on all of my plugging rods however I still use mono on the bait rods. If you get a fish with bait and have more than one rod out and the fish runs around the other rods you'll be untangling for a long time.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Administrator

When I am dead sticking bait, mono. I want that rubber band effect when a fish picks up my bait, espically when using bait holder hooks. Takes them a bit to realize, theres a string on that there bait, and the damage is done.
So I vote Mono for dead sticking bait.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:12 PM

Thanks for all comments - appreciated. I have used braid in freshwater mainly on jigging or frogging rods for fishing heavy cover - can't live without it in those situations. I prefer mono in freshwater for throwing hardbaits in open water. I have not used braid in saltwater but have been throwing mostly lures in the salt over past few years and was wondering what the striper kings are doing - I will be field testing some 15lb braid (Tuff Line XP) in the salt before years end - thanks again men!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 PM
SS/Veteran

I use PP on my bait casters, 20lb on my 5500 abu, 30lb on the 6500 and record, and 40lb on the 7000. I love that stuff, plugging at night with the 6500 or record, not a problem once you get the hang of it. I haven't used mono in about 5 yrs.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:47 AM

I would say use whatever you feel more comfortable and confident with. It sounds like the mono you are using might be a little light for surf fishing. 10lb. mono for plugging and 15lb. for baitfishing is way too light in my opinion, you might want to go with a heavier mono or give fireline a try.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:46 AM

Thanks Kroc and Bayyaker