Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:21 PM

Hello. I'm about to order an 11' conventional Lami Surf King (3-8 ounce) for chunking bait. I have a TiCa Gemini reel I just bought for boat fishing but I heard its good from shore also. It feels a little heavy though. What reel do you guys recommend? The Abu's look nice but I don't know what model number I'd need. Also, I'm new to conventional. Thanks!

BTW, it has to have a levelwind.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:21 PM

Hello. I'm about to order an 11' conventional Lami Surf King (3-8 ounce) for chunking bait. I have a TiCa Gemini reel I just bought for boat fishing but I heard its good from shore also. It feels a little heavy though. What reel do you guys recommend? The Abu's look nice but I don't know what model number I'd need. Also, I'm new to conventional. Thanks!

BTW, it has to have a levelwind.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:28 AM

I just ordered a 10' 3-8 oz. Lami and an Abu 7000 C3. I'm having an Extreme Smoothie drag washer set installed. Abu has a few reels that you could match with that rod. I went conservative with a proven reel that has a level wind. I'm fairly new to conventionals. I think the 7000 C3 would be fine. Shop around first. Do what I did and hold one on a rod. See how it feels.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:06 AM
spence

Everything I've read points to the good old Abu 7000 with upgraded drag washers...

-spence
Old 12-09-2003, 04:50 PM

How do you like the surf king?
I made a post about them when they first came out but not many people used them at that time.

If high school was like fishing i would never leave
Old 12-09-2003, 07:47 PM

plugsnbait, I remember that post. I've been pondering the purchase of one for a while. The way I figured, I get a better warranty and the Lamiglas name for $40 more than a Tica. I love my Tica spinning rods but went for the low cost attraction on this line. I'm going to try my 10' Surf King as soon as I can. (I'm not waiting until Spring. I never stop fishing.) I will post my first impressions within the next few weeks.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:30 PM

Thanks a lot guys! Abu 7000 C3 it is!

Dom