Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Help w/ casting a bait casting reel

I just bought a Shimano Cardiff 301A reel (combo'd with a 7' Cabela Fish Eagle II CX2 rod) and was wondering if anyone might have some advice on casting. I've been mostly fly fishing for the past 10 years, and have gotten into Striper fishing with spinning gear over the past two years. My experience with bait casters has been miserable to say the least -- I can get the d*** thing into a bird's nest just jigging off the side of the boat

Anyhow, I really want to learn how to use (cast) it correctly (thumb pressure, etc.) and would appreciate any advice. Also, are bait casting reels much different then they were 10 years ago? (have they become easier to cast without winding up with a tangled mess?
thanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Help w/ casting a bait casting reel

The best advice I'd heard is start out casting short. Then gradually work you way out further after a few trips.

Good luck

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:03 PM

From what I found, the reel is centrifical braking and features a level-wind. I know next to nothing about that reel, so just some basic pointers.

The shaft adjustment should be located next to the handle. Start here. while loosening the shaft adjustment, use your thumb to feel for end to end movement on the spool. Once you feel movement, tighten up slowly until the movement stops. That is your baseline adjustment. To start, tighten it up a bit more for more control.

The most important thing in conventional casting is smoothness. You bring the power into the cast slowly, increase it through the cast, and finish strong. The rod tip must follow the line off the rod. If the rod is at too much of an angle, there will be a backlash.

Keep your thumb on the spool after release to prevent backlash. Pressure required takes practice. You must completely stop the spool as soon as the bait hits the water.

Most recommend mono line to learn with, I learned with 80# braid and did OK.

Becoming adept at casting a conventional takes time and patience. Start with plenty of weight and some tension on the spool. As you get better, adjust the spool more to the baseline adjustment.

Stick with it and practice. There will be times when you want to throw it in the water, but once you are adept at casting a conventional, there is nothing like it.

Personally, I prefer magnetic braking over centrifical brakes, and non-level wind over level wind. IMHO the Penn 525MAG with the Hatteras upgrade kit is the perfect reel to learn on and also the perfect reel for experienced casters interested in distance.

Also IMHO, a 9' rod is about the smallest I would use for surf casting.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 03-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Team SS '08,SS/Insider

I started practicing in the backyard with "largmouth" style pitching; gave me a good start on thumb control
Old 03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

I agree with Steve, the spools breaking has an abundance to do with back-lashing.

This is a good starting point. > One thing that also should be done is when you are ready to cast, with sinker and bait, or plug, hold your rod at a 45 degree angle with your weight a ft. or 2 from your rod tip and release the spool. When the weight hits the ground and your braking system is adjusted properly, your spool for the most part should just about stop with a bit of spool rotation but, with no reversing of the line, in other words the start of a backlash. If not, adjust your spool side play (braking) until it does.
I do not use any of the (new fangled) magnetic brakes but I would believe from the point on explained above, the mag. brake would be adjusted.
With out the mags, from that point on you thumb takes care of the rest. If poss. brake with your thumb on the spool rim other than on the line.
Joe
Old 03-06-2007, 01:53 PM
SS/Veteran

I'd avoid strong head winds, and put myself in a place where I wouldn't have to cast far to get to the fish to start. Any time I've overcasted a conventional I've backlashed.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 PM
SS/Veteran

My advice would be the same for getting to the Metropolitan Opera,,,,
Practice, practice, practice. A football field works best.

The key is to not overpower or 'overspeed' the reel. A backlash is the result of the spool spinning faster than the line is coming off of it. A sure way to get that to happen is to build up too much speed at the wrist by snapping it or swinging it really hard and fast. A conventional is supposed to have the lure pull the line off the reel and the spool just have enough resistance to stop itself from going any faster. (thats what the magnets do). An ideal caster can get the balance between the reels resistance and his casting power perfect and really launch it.

Your best bet would be to get 2 oz. and practice casting small distances on dry land. Stop the spool before it hits the ground or the above happens even faster. Until you get really, really good, I would never cast harder than about 75%, That is hard to do. Also if you were backlashng on a boat means your reel was free spooled. Lock that sucker down. The knob on the opposite side of the handle is where you crank down on that. Do what Joe said to adjust your spool.

You rod may be a bit small too. It would work with bombers and smaller jigs. I would not want to cast more than 3 ounces with a 7 ft baitcaster. That will rule out bait.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
My advice would be the same for getting to the Metropolitan Opera,,,,
Practice, practice, practice. A football field works best.

The key is to not overpower or 'overspeed' the reel. A backlash is the result of the spool spinning faster than the line is coming off of it. A sure way to get that to happen is to build up too much speed at the wrist by snapping it or swinging it really hard and fast. A conventional is supposed to have the lure pull the line off the reel and the spool just have enough resistance to stop itself from going any faster. (thats what the magnets do). An ideal caster can get the balance between the reels resistance and his casting power perfect and really launch it.

Your best bet would be to get 2 oz. and practice casting small distances on dry land. Stop the spool before it hits the ground or the above happens even faster. Until you get really, really good, I would never cast harder than about 75%, That is hard to do. Also if you were backlashng on a boat means your reel was free spooled. Lock that sucker down. The knob on the opposite side of the handle is where you crank down on that. Do what Joe said to adjust your spool.

You rod may be a bit small too. It would work with bombers and smaller jigs. I would not want to cast more than 3 ounces with a 7 ft baitcaster. That will rule out bait.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks Shipwreck (and all above). I think I've now got enough starter knowledge to brake the rod/reel out of the box and hit the school yard.

Two quick follow-up questions: First, is there a difference between bait-casting reels and conventional reels? and Secondly, Can anyone tell me the main reson one would want to use a conventional reel vs. a spinning reel?

Thanks again for letting me borrow your knowledge
Old 03-06-2007, 04:50 PM

Well I'll take a stab at the 2nd question on the list:
"Can anyone tell me the main reson one would want to use a conventional reel vs. a spinning reel? "

You can cast further with a bait casting reel than a spinning reel *(after you become good at it). Secondly bait casting reels offer more control of the fish and are usually stronger than spinning gear. When your fighting a fish with spinning gear - your none reeling hand is generally holding the rod and with baitcasting gear they are holding the reel (with me anyway).

Remember many world class anglers use spinning gear as their preferred method and are satisfied with it. It's all in what you are comfortable with.

Best of luck on the learning curve and you can start by taking one of your heavier lures (preferribly beaten up) take the hooks off and cast in an open field.

Armand
Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Two quick follow-up questions: First, is there a difference between bait-casting reels and conventional reels? and Secondly, Can anyone tell me the main reson one would want to use a conventional reel vs. a spinning reel?
Not real sure about #1, but I believe that they are one in the same.

As for #2, I prefer conventional over spinning hands down for baitcasting. I know some would argue the capability of long cast spinners, but in my experience, conventionals out cast a spinner hands down. I know there are those that don't see a need for distance, but there is one simple fact. A long caster can hit anywhere an average caster can hit, but the inverse is defiantly not true. The points Armand mentioned are also good reasons.

Casting a conventional adds an entirely new dimension to fishing. Just another thing that you need to master. I personally like the challenge.

The best sound in fishing is when a big fish rips line off your reel. The second best sound is when you let loose a great cast on a conventional reel, and the bearings are screaming. The first time you get everything right, and that reel is screaming, you will be hooked for life.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM
SS/Veteran

And you know right away that you nailed a good cast.Joe
Old 03-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Team SS '08,SS/Insider

I love a conventional for every thing but mostly for bait ,bead and live