Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:46 AM
SS/Insider

Default Conventional surf reel ?

Looking for opinions on the best conventional surf reel(s). I picked up a 10.5' g-loomis rod dirt cheap and want to put a quality reel on it that can really reach out and touch something. Also looking for line recomendations braid or mono and what weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Conventional surf reel ?

I picked up an Abu 6500cs mag elite and i love it. It casts a mile and never birds nests, even with light lures in heavy wind.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:06 PM
SS/Insider

Benny is this a levelwind and what type of line ?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:05 AM

Thumbs up Re: Conventional surf reel ?

Kos, how you doin'?.....I have 4 Penn 525 mags with the mag upgrade. In 4 yrs. they've been bulletproof. A little too fast out of the box, I chose to install the mag upgrade from Hat. Outf'ers.,(go to thier site and click "reel candy" E-Z to install) I use 20 mono(silver thread) on them. They don't have a levelwind but you'll get used to it. Cast a mile, smooth and great drag.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOS
Benny is this a levelwind and what type of line ?
It is available in either levelwind or not, mine is not but I think I will convert it. Paul at Grumpy's can do a hell of a customization job if your interested. I am using 20lb pp.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 PM

6500c3 will do the trick!
Old 10-02-2006, 06:23 PM

What do you want to do with this reel? IMHO a good bait reel and a good plugging reel aren't necessarily the same reel.

I like the Abu 7000s, but I can't figure out how to get the pinion gear to stop galling. Once I do, it will be near perfect. There's a 7000 pro rocket that I assume is supposed to cast better.

If you're fishing a sandy beach, one of the superbraids. I use no less than 50, but I guess if you really want to squeeze every inch out of the cast you can use lighter.

-Ty
Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 AM

I'm still dreaming of a brand new Saltiga Surf 30. Brand new check it out at daiwa's website. It's $400. I have a bunch of surf reels that I love, but I think this one should be the end all kick *** conventional surf reel. Soon as I get the money I will let you know. It won't be long now....
Old 10-04-2006, 08:44 PM
SS/Insider

Gentlemen, I want to thank you for the input and the advice. I have spoken to Paul at Grumpy's and have made the decision to go with the the abu mag elite that he is goin to customize. Ovenrat good to hear from ya hope all is well I have a mag 525 on it now and just dont like it, I think it is extremely irratic when I try to get some serious distance. Tight lines to all <'{{{><
Old 10-04-2006, 09:01 PM

Love my 525MAG(s)!

Let me know if that reel wants a new home. A Hatteras Outfitters mag enhancement for $20 and it'll cast with the best of them!

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 10-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Abu's, depending on the rated weight of the rod. 7000 or 6500.

Have been eyeing the Avet's lately though..
Old 10-05-2006, 12:04 AM

6501 c4 + level windbearing kit 30 lb fireline
on this baby......
CUSTOM ~ !!!
10 ft. 6 in. Hatteras Outfitters Custom ~ GSW1266/2 $ 295.00
Breakaway or RainShadow 10'6" 2pc. ~ Matching Lengths ~ Medium Action ~ Moderate-Fast Taper ~ Casting Weight: 1 1/2 - 5 oz. plus bait. ~ Probably our Best All-Around Fishing Rod! Great for bottom fishing or slinging metal outta sight ..... and won't wear you out while you're doing it either. ~ Super sensitive, you'll feel every nibble, yet has the backbone to put a hurting on the big ones. Spanish, Alberts, Blues and Stripers of all sizes, Jacks, Pups (even the occasional Big Red One) and your general bottom feeding fair are no match for the 1266, IT DOES IT ALL! ~ Recommended conventional reels: Abu 6500's (Custom HS models for the faster critters, std. gearing for bottom fishing) and Daiwa 20's. ~ Spinning: Daiwa 3500's and Shimano 5000-6000's. ~ Custom built Conventional, Spinning or Dual Purpose with Fuji SIC guides (conventional), New Fuji Alconites (spinning and dual purpose), Fuji Reel Seat and Cork Tape wrapped butt and fore grip, all std. ~ We can build this rod most anyway you specify, call or e-mail us for pricing on other custom options such as decorative wraps, etc.~ Subtract $10.00 for Hardloy guides.

the rod and reel ...awesome.