Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 06-05-2006, 03:40 AM

Default Fishermen's Casting Tournament, June 17, 2006

Sportcast USA invites you to our Inaugural Fishermen's Casting Tournament on June 17, 2006.

It will be held in Evesham (Marlton) N.J. (detailed directions at the bottom of this post).

Registration begins at 8:00 AM.
Registration will be closed when 100 participants are entered.

Seminars and demonstrations of casting and rigmaking throughout the day. Nick Meyer from Breakaway USA will be here discussing Breakaway's Long Distance Fishing System and introducing the newest rod in the Breakaway lineup, the 8&bait HDX.

ENTRY FEES:

INDIVIDUAL CASTER ADULT: $10.00 this fee allows you to compete in the individual division in all events.

INDIVIDUAL CASTER YOUTH (under 17y.o.): $5.00 this fee allows you to compete in the individual division in all events.

TEAM COMPETITION: Registration for optional and separate team division will be $20.00 additional per team.

FOUR CASTING COMPETITIONS FOR DISTANCE

PLEASE NOTE
Organizers are planning on four events with each event having 3 casts. It is our prerogative to adjust this or any aspect of the competitions for logistical reasons, i.e., time constraints or weather

Large Bait and Weight - rig must conform to below qualifications.
2oz Metal - Use supplied AOK TACKLE "T-HEX"
Plug Casting- Wood or Plastic, caster's choice, NO HOOKS.
Small Bait and Weight - rig must conform to below qualifications.

Again, each of the above competitions are also team events competing for separate prize. Teams shall consist of 5 members and will incur an additional $20.00 registration fee. Teams must be registered by 9:00AM. Team scores will be tabulated by combining each member's longest cast in each competition. The scores for each competition will be combined again to determine the "all around score" for the team. This score will be used to award prize.

AWARDS / PRIZES

Monetary awards will be given out in the following divisions:

MALE
1st place 4 event total
$100.00

FEMALE
1st place 4 event total
$100.00

TEAM
1st place 4 event total
$200.00

YOUTH PRIZE
1st place 4 event total
Rod and Reel combo

BASIC RULES:

ALL HOOKS MUST BE REMOVED FROM PLUGS

THE USE OF A SHOCKLEADER IS MANDATED: FORMULA IS 10LBS OF BREAK STRENGTH FOR EACH OUNCE OF LEAD OR LURE BEING CAST.

MAIN LINE MUST BE A MINIMUM OF 10LB TEST FOR MONOFILAMENT 14LB TEST FOR BRAID.

"BAIT & WEIGHT" RULES::

No weight restrictions. simulated bait will be provided.

The rig used in the Small Bait and Large Bait competitions must conform to the following:

Dropper, Fishfinder and Clip-Down / Pulley rigs are permitted. The rig's main strand (swivel to sinker) must meet shockleader strength. The hook leader may be any lb. test but must be at least four inches long. Fishfinder rigs must have a minimum 4 inch hook leader.

Clipdown / pulley rigs are permitted, they must conform with the above 4 inch minimum leader qualification also.

CLICK HERE FOR A FULL DETAILING OF THE RULES

DIRECTIONS

From points south; take I-295 North, exit at 34A for Rt 70-E. Take RT 70-E for 3.1 miles to Marlton (Olga's Diner) Circle, follow directions below.

From points north and NJ Turnpike; take I-295 South , exit at 38A for Rt 73-S (Turnpike exit 4). Take Rt 73-S for 3.5 miles to Marlton (Olga's Diner) Circle, follow directions below.

Rt 70 East for 2.25 miles to N. Elmwood Rd. -- make right,
N. Elmwood for 6/10ths mile to E. Main St / Tuckerton Rd -- make left
E. Main St / Tuckerton Rd for 9/10ths mile, look for large field on left, turn left on the dirt drive.

Actual address is; 1015 Tuckerton Road, Marlton, N.J.
Google Map Page

SPONSORS
Breakaway USA
Sufix Fishing Line
AOK Tackle
Rolling Tackle Box

Food and beverages will be provided at additional cost.

For additional information:

Fisherman's Casting Tournament Web Page
Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Fishermen's Casting Tournament, June 17, 2006

Thanks for the info Rod.

I would love to go see the competition. Unfortunatly, I have a graduation party that I need to go to that day.

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 06-13-2006, 09:29 PM

Sorry to hear you can't make it Steve.
Getting the last few things ironed out, Nick Meyer from BreakawayUSA will be coming in from Texas to discuss Breakaway's Long Distance Fishing System and introducing the newest rod in Breakaway line-up, the 8-N-Bait "HDX."

Have a very nice custom 11'-9" rod for raffle, (been told a very popular reel model is in route, will edit with model when it's in hand . . . no jinx ). It will make a real nice set-up and the winner very happy!

For those uncertain about the rig for the bait-n-weight events, tourney sponsor Rolling Tackle Box is giving all registrants a pulley rig tied with Breakaway components, problem solved!

Should be a great day with excellent weather conditions; come join us!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:48 PM

OK, have the reel in hand for the rod and reel raffle.

Rod is a custom 11'-9" trimmed in blue, the reel is an Abu 6500C3CT Blue Yonder.

Coming just to buy a chance to win that makes the trip worth it!
Old 06-14-2006, 07:15 PM
SS/Veteran

Hey Rod,

Going to be on the beach/jetty/kayak 3am sat morning unitl 9 am sunday. My father's day gift (my wife not bit**ing)

I would love to come, but not enough to give up 30 uninterupted hours of fishing. I fished my butt off last sunday and got nothing. As I was coming in I stopped at Grumpys and a guy was wieghing in a 33 pounder he got by casting a Diawa long cast over the bar. That was it for me.
So I just picked up the Emblem Pro 5000 and a Tica Dolphin 12ft XH.

I am putting pp 30 on it. If you would not mind could you post exaxtly how you rig your fishfinder rig, with clams and bunker heads. Part of Saturday will be my own distance casting clinic with myself.

I am looking forward to seeing you cast off the beach. When do you plan on fishing again? I would love to stop by and watch the show.

Thanks and good luck with the competition. Next year when I can say I practiced distance casting I will enter.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:50 PM

Sounds like a great Father's Day excursion. I have not been fishing since the NJ Angler and that was my first time in the ocean for the year. Been working lots of OT and working on tournaments, first my fishing club's and this casting tournament. I am going to Sunset Beach NC on vacation next week, let's just say I'm planning on fishing a bit down there.

I'll give you a short primer on LD fishing. First a rethink of the rigs you use is in order. Fishfiders are not used that much for two reasons, they cast lousy and at distance, you kinda want your bait and hook anchored to the bottom.

I use the wire legged sinkers and a dropper or pulley type rig with a leader of between 12 and 30 inches. That leader / hook is of course clipped down on the cast to eliminate "helicoptering." Betty and Nicks and Grumpy's has Breakaway pulley rigs, try one of those and tie the clam on.

The theory of solidly anchoring the bait is to set a "mousetrap" of sorts that hooks the fish with no input from you the angler. The sputnik sinker is allowed to set firmly and then as much tension as possible is taken with the rod and reel to place a significant bow in the rod (drag is loosened, set with just enough pressure to mantain that tension w/ wind and current). This is the trap waiting for the trigger. The fish picks up and moves off with the bait, comes to the sinker and bolts off, pulling out or tripping the legs of the sputnik. The fish now is hit with the pretension of the rod (hopefully a couple pounds of pressure) and the circle hook is firmly set.

Now casting . . .

Casting is 95% technique and form, just like a golf swing. Setting up properly is most important.

There are two casts that I would stress a LD greenhorn learn. First is called the "Hatteras Cast" which is a straight back / straight over the top motion which makes it very safe for a crowded beach. Second is the "Off the Ground Cast;" this is a true powercast that can generate incredible energy. I guarantee, the first time it comes together for you and you hit an OTG right, your finger with be tingling and you will feel knocked off balance.

First, the Hatteras Cast "drop" (rod tip to sinker) is down to your gathering (first above reel) guide to start. The motion is to swing the lead straight back then power forward straight over the top. To begin the Hatteras Cast place your feet about shoulder width apart aligned with the direction of the cast, your hips and shoulders also should be on this line; think standing in the batter's box.

With the rod held nearly vertical with the butt at your forward hip, drop the tip back to begin the swing. At the same time you want to begin raising and extending your arms rearward. This requires a pretty good amount of momentum in your sinker to maintain its motion, swinging back.

At the apex of its rearward swing (about head high) you should be in a javelin position, arms back, weight 60/40 on rear leg. Here's where the timing is critical. . . Now you begin your forward motion, hips first, torso, shoulders and arms last.

The mistake most make is when they begin their turn and forward motion, the rod tip drops and contact is lost with the sinker. It is imperative that tension remains on the sinker at this critical change from rearward motion to forward.

Try to get your arms as far back as possible, the more extension you can muster the further the cast will go. The best way to describe the "hit" is to imagine there is a brick wall right in front of you and you are swinging a sledge over your head . . . That moment where your weight has been transferred from back to front and your arms are overhead, try to hit that wall with the head of the sledge . . .

Hatteras Outfitters has a video of the Hatteras Cast on their photo page, it is best to download it to your system and view it at a larger resolution; the viewer that opens on the HO site is tiny and can't be maximized.

The Off the Ground Cast is a bit more complicated, requiring more timing and experimentation with the drop. With any side motion cast the drop is the determining factor in the accuracy left/right of the cast. This is a very flexible length, (but generally LONGER than the Hatteras Cast) dependent upon action of the rod, weight cast and your casting motion. At the bottom of this post is a pretty good diagram of the set-up and motion. Tommy Farmer, present US distance record holder has really been practicing the OTG in preparation for an International OTG casting event to be held in the UK. He has been sharing videos with the European casters that show the motion full speed and with a step that I use also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XovdfTtBq8

With the OTG, the thing to concentrate on as you begin the casting motion is to "leave your arms behind;" have your body rotating and your head turning and looking up before your arms begin moving. It's only mili-seconds but it does work.

It is mandatory that a casting leader be used with these high-energy casts, 30lb running line will snap with a 5oz sinker. It is accepted that a 10 to 1 ratio be used, 10lbs of leader strength for each oz cast. A casting leader should be long enough to include your drop, the run down the rod and then wrapping the spool at least 5 times. I use 50 or 80 lb braid, some use mono.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:52 AM
SS/Veteran

Allright Rod, thanks for the reply.

Lots to think about. I know the rig you are talking about now. I have seen the black breakaway shields but I thought you used another method to secure the hook to the sputnick wieght.

I will have 30LB pp running line and was planning on 60 mono as a shock leader. What knot would you use to secue such thin running line to the shock mono. Would you use some krzy glue? Remember I am using a spinning rig like you do but the rod is off the rack so it has a large first guide, I dont want to much bulk in the knot.

I am pumped to start expeirementing. I got into an argument with a guy at a local tackle shop. He was adamant that "99.9% of all fish are in close" I hear that alot, but I wonder if that is just people who just cant cast far, If all the fish are in close how come the boats score all the big fish? Same thing goes with SW flyfishing, people who cant cast state that you dont need to . BS.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Shipwreck, I think that the shop owner had the right %, but the wrong location. 99% of the big fish live on the OTHER side of the bar. Having the ability to place your rig(bait,lure,etc.) on the other side can make all the difference in the world. Then if the fishies are in close, you can always bring it in. Joe.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:48 PM
SS/Veteran

Yeah, this is the same guy who told me he designed the new Dolphin rod for Tica. He gives me discounts so I have to sit there and sort of try not to laugh/argue too hard at him.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Sometimes ya gotta take the good with the bad!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Casting is 95% technique and form, just like a golf swing. Setting up properly is most important
That's the key. A good cast is indeed just like a golf swing. A pile of small things to keep in mind, but once you have them down, a beautiful thing to see.

I find that dry running the cast without a rod to train the body is a great way to practice. I picked that one up from Nick at breakaway's site.

Pulley rigs are awesome. Nothing gets the distance like a good cast with a payload that is aeorodynamic and also survices the violence of a power cast. I am hooked on pulley rigs. (Rod and Mark Edwards turned me on to them)

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 06-18-2006, 06:23 PM

This was one of the best how- to's on the OTG cast I have seen.

http://www.nickaway.com/PDF%20files/Groundcastwp.pdf

Of course, in addition to Rod's desription, Bob has an excellent write up on the OTB right here on SSc

http://www.stripersurf.com/otbc.html

Info on how a pulley rig works can be found right here http://www.breakawayusa.com/vids/is1.wmv

Casting distance isn't always critical when surf fishing. It is important a good deal of the time however, especially if when scouring for spots, you can judge what you can reach and fish offshore structure. Last weekend the fish were in close, and I took a lot off the cast to score. This weekend the fish were around 100 yards off the beach, and I was safely (Not on the jetty) into them.

No offence to anyone, but being able to long cast is important in surf casting. With the proper equipment, a lot of practice and dedication, ANYONE can be made into a long distance surfcaster.

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 06-22-2006, 07:55 PM

Hey Steve, sorry I haven't posted back, work wants me there 12 hrs a day and I am going on vacation this Saturday. Hectic to say the least.

I'll be hitting IBSP when I get back from NC, I'll let ya know and I'd be glad to show you some rigs and stuff.

The link at the bottom of this post has the final results for the casting tournament. We had hoped for a little bigger turnout but perhaps smaller was better for the first. The wind affected the metal lure in the later rounds and in the big bait, if you could keep the bait from flapping you could get it down field. I did OK, casted last in the metal event .

The big bait was a 6in. Sassyshad cut to 3-1/2" so it was just a slab. Small bait was a 1-1/2in. twistertail. Metal lure was a 2oz AOK Tackle "T-Hex" and the plug was caster's choice with the hooks removed.

BIG BAIT and my rig.

Complete results on the SportcastUSA site
Old 06-25-2006, 12:03 PM

[quote=CarpenterSteve63]

I find that dry running the cast without a rod to train the body is a great way to practice. I picked that one up from Nick at breakaway's site.

Pulley rigs are awesome. Nothing gets the distance like a good cast with a payload that is aeorodynamic and also survices the violence of a power cast. I am hooked on pulley rigs. (Rod and Mark Edwards turned me on to them)

steve glad to see you like the rigs and are practicing your casting.