Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:49 PM

The off the beach cast is the way to go when heaving bait off the surf. My casting has improved greatly since i have started using it, and I am sure once I have it mastered, I will be totally satisfied with the results. Right now i am in the step by step improvement phase of getting there.

I guess it is sort of like a golf swing, there are many things to keep in mind when doing it, and no matter how good you get, most of us will never be perfect.

I use a conventional setup now, converted from spinning late last year, and will never go back. Here are my tips, please add the tips you guys have too.

1. Study the OTB casting page on this site, and re-read it often. It is pretty simple, but like a golf swing, not so easy to master.

2. This is the one that really had me adding distance. Get your whole body into it. Once I started using my legs, and the transfer of weight from my back foot to my from foot, the distance really took off. Think of a power hitter taking a swing, none of them are arms only! This was one of the hardest things for me to get, i am getting better, but my best casts always have the legs doing the right thing.

3. For the guys that spin fish... conventional casting adds 10% to your casting distance. Yeah it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you have it down, there will be no going back. Mastering the conventional takes time, but what are you waiting for? the way I see it summer is a great time to learn, fishing slows a bit, daylight is much longer, and if you invest some time then, you can be conventional baitcasting by the fall run!

4. Use the info on this site to help you out. search the message boards for info, the home page menu, and post a question if you want. i have found that guys on here will answer the same questions a hundred times, and be happy to do it.

5. Ron Arra has a great book, the ultimate guide to surfcasting. When I bought it I got the Long distance casting video also. I re-read the book and re-watch the tape often. Since I have no one to help me out on the beach, It is very important to not develop bad habits.

Hope this helped you, and please add your comments or if you have something to add, I am certainly no expert at this!

PS If this site makes you a better fisherman, please think about chipping in for the costs of running it by Supporting SSc

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 06-05-2004, 08:49 PM

The off the beach cast is the way to go when heaving bait off the surf. My casting has improved greatly since i have started using it, and I am sure once I have it mastered, I will be totally satisfied with the results. Right now i am in the step by step improvement phase of getting there.

I guess it is sort of like a golf swing, there are many things to keep in mind when doing it, and no matter how good you get, most of us will never be perfect.

I use a conventional setup now, converted from spinning late last year, and will never go back. Here are my tips, please add the tips you guys have too.

1. Study the OTB casting page on this site, and re-read it often. It is pretty simple, but like a golf swing, not so easy to master.

2. This is the one that really had me adding distance. Get your whole body into it. Once I started using my legs, and the transfer of weight from my back foot to my from foot, the distance really took off. Think of a power hitter taking a swing, none of them are arms only! This was one of the hardest things for me to get, i am getting better, but my best casts always have the legs doing the right thing.

3. For the guys that spin fish... conventional casting adds 10% to your casting distance. Yeah it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you have it down, there will be no going back. Mastering the conventional takes time, but what are you waiting for? the way I see it summer is a great time to learn, fishing slows a bit, daylight is much longer, and if you invest some time then, you can be conventional baitcasting by the fall run!

4. Use the info on this site to help you out. search the message boards for info, the home page menu, and post a question if you want. i have found that guys on here will answer the same questions a hundred times, and be happy to do it.

5. Ron Arra has a great book, the ultimate guide to surfcasting. When I bought it I got the Long distance casting video also. I re-read the book and re-watch the tape often. Since I have no one to help me out on the beach, It is very important to not develop bad habits.

Hope this helped you, and please add your comments or if you have something to add, I am certainly no expert at this!

PS If this site makes you a better fisherman, please think about chipping in for the costs of running it by Supporting SSc

The Pickens Plan

"Democratic civilization is the first in history to blame itself because another power is trying to destroy it" - Jean-Francois Revel

Steve

Old 06-06-2004, 12:38 PM

I have to believe that there are a bunch of guys interested in casting further.

It must be the pitch to contribute to the site at the end that has everyone so quiet!

Today I was at the beach. When I got there in the drizzle, i started talking to a guy that was there. He told me that he has been there all weekend, and the only fish he saw caught was a short. I chatted a while, mainly waiting to see him pull in his line, as i wanted to see how dirty the water was. After seeing his line come in mainly clean, I watched him cast a bunker chunk on a fishfinder rig about 30 yds off the beach. I set up about 50 yards from him and started fishing. Nothing seemed to be happening, the tide was starting to come in and I figured there might be some action. I fished for an hour with no luck, and then it happened.... I loaded my High Low up with 2 nice chunks of clams, just the way I recently learned how to rig them from HaysWalt. I unleashed a great cast by my standards, probably around 100 yards out there. 5 Minutes later my rod bends violently and the line starts ripping off the reel. Damn, i love that sound! 5 Minutes later my 5th bass and the first keeper of the year is laying on the beach, a gama circle hook right through the side of his lip as always! The guy walks over to me a few minutes later and comments on the decent fish in my cooler. He said, It's about time someone caught something here, there has been no action all weekend. So, why did I get the fish, and this guy has been fishing the spot for 2 whole days? The way I see it, clams, high low rig, being 70 yards further into the inlet, and a bit of luck. i really don't think the luck had as much to do with it as the knowledge that this site has given me. Thanks Bob, you have done a great job here, and thanks to all the other guys, especially Joe454 for encouraging me to switch to conventional and Hayswalt for his clam rigging expertise!

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 06-06-2004, 01:03 PM

Carpenter man you are using a schock leader with that otb cast, right??
Old 06-06-2004, 01:34 PM

80# test PP. No shock leader required! Good point though, lots of force exerted on the line during an OTB cast.

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 06-08-2004, 06:32 AM
Rev. Lori

80 pd test!
No wonder you are heaving clams like that.
I did a bunch of studying and practicing of the OTB cast over the winter. Went out with a nice fat eel, gave it a try and snap that eel was flying with a circle thru its eye into the horizon. So I studied some more, tied on a 5" storm shad and tried it again. Snap, the storm shap went flying. I had 50 pd whiplash with a schock leader for the eel, and 30 pd whiplash on the storm shad (no leader).
Seems like a no brainer to me that you landed that fat keeper because you had the distance, Steve (or God just like you better than the other guy, but I try not to go there). I am convinced that the OTB cast does get you out farther; its just that I don't want to lose any more bait/lures.

Congrats on the biggun, Steve!
Old 06-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Rev. Lori

i was out in the surf today off Breezy Point. No action, but it did give me time to practice casting. There is no doubt the OTB cast gets me out farther, BUT 80% of the time it flies out to the right. I got it out straight a couple of times though, and it was a thing of beauty. I need to get better control though. Any suggestions.

No snapped lines this time, but twice the clam flew right off. One of those times, I had it tied down with a bit of elastic. That's a lot of centrifical force!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:21 PM

Lori, I am far from mastering this cast, so there are others that could help you more, and take thier advise over mine. That being said....

Sounds to me like you are releasing the cast too soon. (provided you are a righty) From what I am finding, the power comes into the cast gradually. concentrate on slow and fluid, getting your whole body to move in unison. Don't forget to get the legs involved, when I forget, my casts are considerably shorter.

Your shock leader should be at least 10x the rating of the package you are delivering. If you are tossing 4 oz and clams, a 50# test leader is in order. The leader must wrap around the spool about 5 times, otherwise the main line will be handling some of the force of the cast. Hope this helps!

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 06-11-2004, 12:25 PM

CarpenterSteve, what's your conventional setup? I'm asking because I'm thinking about converting myself for that extra casting distance. I like the other guy you were talking to can only cast in the 30yd range with the hi-lo setup. Does the reel have a level-wind feature? I'd think it would shorten the distance somewhat. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:36 PM
spence

If you're new to conventional I would definately get a levelwind. You will loose much more in uneven line that from the levelwind mechanisim. Leveling with your thumb isn't difficult, but it's not worth it...at least to me.

I've never used the OTB cast, but I seem to get good distance with a normal swing. The key is to just keep things smooth from start to stop. If I throw a clam off it's because I snapped the start of the cast, not because I casted too hard. Also keep the rod held high and swing a little to the side, not directly overhead. There is a good article on this in last months On the Water magazing.

I usually use a 10' E-Glass lami rod with an Abu 7000 HS reel and 30 lb Big Game. High-low rig of course!

-spence
Old 06-11-2004, 04:01 PM

Spence is right about the levelwind. i use an Abu 7000C3 teamed up with a TICA 11' 3-8 oz casting rod. 80# PP my line, although most guys prefer mono when learning.

Spence, the OTB is awesome, if you get good distance with a standard cast, you will get good + going OTB.

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 06-12-2004, 08:28 PM

Steve, good analogy to the golf swing. Small changes in technique can have you going from scratching your head to being in business. Smooth transition of weight and an even smoother change of direction simplify things. Now, if only I could putt, AND actually catch some damn fish this year

-the hack
Old 06-13-2004, 08:55 AM
SS/Insider

Steve I hope you get a chance to attend a casting clinic with the capital longcasters. I couldn't believe my hands could be so out of place- timing is another ball game! It was great to have someone iron out those bad habits. Those baseballs come in handy for practice. I made up five of them while I had the drill and epoxy out.
Nice fish!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:43 PM

I sent them an E-Mail Darrel. The responded that I will be notified when they are having a clinic. I know I could be better, but there is no one to teach or make comments.

LOL Hack! I haven't been golfing in about 7 years, I can imagine what my swing would look like.

The Pickens Plan

Steve

Old 06-13-2004, 11:16 PM

I've been using the otb cast for my alvey's for distance, and now am using it for my conventional rods also. seems to add some distance compared to other ways of casting.
fly fish 7/24/365