Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Default Craziest Most Shokwa Fishing Stories...

Frank maybe you and members could share some of your best crazy zany Shokwa fishing stories- stuff that teaches, entertains and even strains credibility haha I have a few good ones I'm sure most have at least one real doozy no?
-Phil
Old 07-09-2015, 07:26 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Craziest Most Shokwa Fishing Stories...

When my first book, Twenty Years, came out in 1989 I began exchanging letters with a pen pal from Maine who had become fond of teaser use with a plug from reading my book. Anyway, hope I not taken too long with this, he was blitzing fish and he broke one off. Next night, with a new teaser and Atom plug combo, about ten miles north of where he broke off the night before, he caught another striper that was wearing his rig that he broke off the night before. It would be easy for a person to identify his own rig because of knots, leader length, lure and teaser colors and tie styles. The event was a one in a million!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:30 PM
SS/Veteran

I'm glad Team Phil brought this up. I've been meaning to ask Frank if there's a history behind the word "shockwa". Over time I've met people from different areas and never heard that word until coming on this site. I was wondering if it was from R.I. or maybe France.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:43 PM

That's funny. I don't remember where I learned shockwa. I don't think I read it but somebody might have used it in front of me that caused me to pick it up. Its not France because my ethnicity is Quebec, Canada. RI guys -- Providence -- make you an offer you can't refuse. Another I like that I learned in the Navy was "fubar" (fhucked up beyond all reason). I guess being a student of language can be interesting.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:17 PM
SS/Veteran

I went to a gathering of surf guys one year that was organized by the owner (at the time) of a 24x7 striper site. The venue was Beavertail point in RI. This was years ago so I really didn't know any better. He preached and preached about how dangerous it could be there for the time leading up to the trip....First night there hes in waders, no korkers. I had nothing but a plug bag and a rod and reel. I hadn't purchased waders yet. Anyhow a large roller comes and I manage to get away, it knocks him over which lead to a broken finger. Trip over for him.

Not too crazy but ironic. Other than that I had a near hour long standoff with a giant buck at the canal. He would't move and being it was mid October I stayed put too. Eventually after ignoring for a while he wandered off. I can remember it having a nice rack on its head!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 AM
SS/Veteran

OK here's one -- not bass fishing but fish related in general. When I was a kid messing around on the shore of Long Island sound I used to enjoy turning over rocks at low tide to see what was underneath. Usually just crabs, sometimes a small lobster, etc. Well there was one extra large rock that was too heavy for me to turn over but I remember someone lifted it up and there was a big fish underneath it! I think it was a sea robin hanging out in the pool of water under the rock.

After that incident I became a little obsessed with this rock. I remember I would always stare at it and wonder if the fish was still underneath. But I wasn't strong enough to turn it over myself. So, sometime later (months? years? I don't remember), I say to some people that we should get a bucket, go down to that rock and grab the fish that is underneath. I'm about 6 years old so it's pretty outrageous to predict that a fish will be under a specific rock. Well, lo and behold, there was a big fat fish under the rock just like I predicted. We put it in the bucket (in water) and brought it around to everyone to show. No one could believe that a kid could have predicted that a fish would be under the rock. I guess this goes back to the "predictable vs unpredictable" thread.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:24 PM

You sure you haven't been smoking that Colorado sh**?
Old 07-10-2015, 07:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
When my first book, Twenty Years, came out in 1989 I began exchanging letters with a pen pal from Maine who had become fond of teaser use with a plug from reading my book. Anyway, hope I not taken too long with this, he was blitzing fish and he broke one off. Next night, with a new teaser and Atom plug combo, about ten miles north of where he broke off the night before, he caught another striper that was wearing his rig that he broke off the night before. It would be easy for a person to identify his own rig because of knots, leader length, lure and teaser colors and tie styles. The event was a one in a million!
Had the same thing happen to me years ago. Wasn't 10 miles, only about the length of a football field. Small Drum, about 6 pounds. Caught him 30 minutes later with my rig hanging out'a his mouth. What I learned was that Drum aren't bothered too much with a little something hangin' out'a their mouth. Money for fishing gear was hard to come by for me back then. Was more glad to get the rig back than the fish.
MULE.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
That is a great story Frank crazy chit goes on out there in the world of fishing...
-Phil
Old 07-10-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoller View Post
OK here's one -- not bass fishing but fish related in general. When I was a kid messing around on the shore of Long Island sound I used to enjoy turning over rocks at low tide to see what was underneath. Usually just crabs, sometimes a small lobster, etc. Well there was one extra large rock that was too heavy for me to turn over but I remember someone lifted it up and there was a big fish underneath it! I think it was a sea robin hanging out in the pool of water under the rock.

After that incident I became a little obsessed with this rock. I remember I would always stare at it and wonder if the fish was still underneath. But I wasn't strong enough to turn it over myself. So, sometime later (months? years? I don't remember), I say to some people that we should get a bucket, go down to that rock and grab the fish that is underneath. I'm about 6 years old so it's pretty outrageous to predict that a fish will be under a specific rock. Well, lo and behold, there was a big fat fish under the rock just like I predicted. We put it in the bucket (in water) and brought it around to everyone to show. No one could believe that a kid could have predicted that a fish would be under the rock. I guess this goes back to the "predictable vs unpredictable" thread.
That is a great story Andrew-really something especially with you being such a young kid!! Outrageous is right haha- pretty cool. Frank made me laugh with the Colorado reference- funny! Like you are "big chief smoke signals" or something haha
-Phil
Old 07-12-2015, 08:29 AM

Funny, I have never been a goody-two-shoes. Drank a lot, poached when I could as a kid. Motorcycle and leather jacket. With women, the looser the better. Really over the line most of my life but I was always afraid of anything that even resembled drugs. Pot to me, was poison and I even left the bridge one night because the guys were smoking dope. I would have been horrified to have my name in the paper if they busted the bridge. I am ascared of that stuff. Now, with the new gun laws in my state, I am afraid to lose my gun permit so I drink coke when out for dinner.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:38 AM
SS/Veteran

I guess we are digressing since shokwa stories are hard to come by. I think pot is pretty harmless, less so than alcohol. It isn't as physically addictive and doesn't breed violence. That being said, there is some pretty strong stuff out there.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:16 PM

No, the fault is mine. I thought I was on another thread. Inasmuch as I made the mistake, I hasten to apologize for the lapse in judgement. I don't have a qualified opinion on grass. My old attitudes might have been misinformed, and I realize that but, however misinformed I might have been, it was how I felt at the time. I totally lack qualification to make comparisons between pot and alcohol. I was out of line and if I was misunderstood the fault is mine. Writers are obliged to be clear. I have some thread specific shockwa stories which I will air tomorrow a day when I will be more careful.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Think I might have posted this before, but what the heck, here it goes again. Years ago when I was a teenager, my dearest adult fishin' mentor, long passed over the bar, and I had heard that bales of alfalfa hay drew Crappies like Buzzards (Remember that Chris is our Buzzard authority and ornithologist) to a dead deer. Howsomever, it was illegal at the time, small solvable problem. So we load up four bales of prime alfalfa hay in his ole fishin' ski boat, along with a hundred or so pounds of cement blocks to sink the bales to the bottom, the whole mess all tightly tied together and covered up with some old quilts in the boat so as to hide all that mess until we were waterborne. We got to our perfect "secret spot" off the end of a long point. I actually used binoculors to scan for game wardens. When the boat traffic cleared, as we were doing this in daylight, we wrestled the whole contraption overboard to watch it sink to make the hottest Crappie hole on High Rock Lake. Tears came out'a Tom Young's eyes as he was laughin' so hard. The whole damn thing floated. That's when I realized I needed to learn to calculate water displacement. I'm sure that it finally sank from saturation, but where we never knew.

MULE.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:20 PM

Steve that is a great one - did the same thing making my own reef in a lake nearby - used Christmas trees that I saved from late December until the spring

We also decided to add bowling balls - guess what, they will float unless over so many pounds. Never found out where they ended up?