Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2007, 11:17 PM

Default holy @#$% shark

I went seabright wednesday night in hopes of the obvios (bass) and ended up with a bunch of shorts and skates. About an hour into the A.M. I saw something bobbing on the surface about seventy yards out. So i am sitting there watching it with my head lamp on and i noticed the reflection of eyes staring back at me no big deal probably a seal. just for s. and giggles i lob a bunk chunk in his direction with hopes its there for a reason, and oops i almost caught hime in the head. It took off and that was the last i had seen of him. Jump to the following night. Big Slammers are all over the place ranging from 8-14lbs and they are tearing up the bunker. Figuring to take a rest I set out two whole ten inch bunker right in the wash, and set the rods high in the spikes. Plopped my butt down in the sand and smoked a cig. When i finished my cig i got up and went to grab my gatorade back at my tackle bag and heard the rattle of the rod dropping in the spike from a hit. I figured screw it i am thirsty if whatever hit it wants it bad enough it can have it as long as takes the 10/0 gami octo as a free gift. Usually this time of year crabs doggies and skates will nibble a bunker and never take it so i paid no mind. I think it was during my second or third chug of 32oz fierce grape goodness that i noticed the left rod bent over in the spike.
Now mind you I am no noob and i use the best gear i can afford. The rod on my right was a 10 foot tirejelo rated to six oz and a thunnus 6000. the rod to the left was the same only with a Van Staal 150b, the only problem was the clicker under the spool had snapped and the beautiful ring the vs is know for was now silent (it broke 2 weeks prior and i haved called to have it replaced yet.)
So I hesitadely cap my drink a little annoyed by the interruption, and casually walk over to the spike. I turn on my headlight get ready to pick up the rod when i noticed the spool of my reel is spinning faster than a Dremel tool. Now i am curios A full bunker right in the wash my line peeling off like no tomorrow, I'm thinking sweet big bass.
So with the line flyin off the reel i pick up the rod and gradually tighten the drag and give the rod a slight pump. whether i had to or no i had no idea. Alrighty i am no hooked up rod butt in my hip and holdin on. now a big bass making a 50 yard run has happened to me quite a few times but this was starting to get serious. I was probably just a 90 seconds since i picked up the rod and this thing is headed for france.
Now mind you i never wrote a story about a big fish fight before or ever been hooked up for this long so i really don't know how to describe what was going on. but all i say is Daaaaammmmmmnnnnnn this SOB wasn't fond of the east coast.
Now this fish had had just raped me of two hundred yards of 40 pound power pro and i wanted it back. so i started walking down the beach away from the rock piling to try see if i can make him change direction. And holy crap it worked. No instead of running to france this thing is now running to go see the yankee game. About a minute after the direction change it seemed to slow down. so it upped the pressure on the drag and started jogging and reeling down the beach. I guess it felt sorry and wanted to give me a chance so it turned beachward allowing me to regain a lot of line. Since it was dark out i made sure i tried to count the cranks so i could gauge how i was doing. I counted to fifty twice and got up to thirty when all went limp. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Shoot it got off i am thinking. So i am crankin and cranking trying to reel up what felt like a empty line with no rig when all of a sudden i hear a huge slap, and see a monsterours splash. I'm thinking @#$% that was f#$%%$ huge how did he get off. then all of a sudden Whamm my rod is bent over in half and the silent reel spool is spinning so fast i can hear the drag wahsers straining. As it turns out i never lost him he just ran at me full speed for about fifty yards and i hadn't caught up to him. wow now thats just nuts. the fight was on again and now i felt lots of shaking and pumping. I still haven't a clue of what this thing is.
(i just needed to smoke a cigarette just thinking of that moment) Now this crazy thing was flying full speed and i notice the spool of my reel was giving of some heat, pretty cool huh. Now i am running down the beach with my rod held high. trying to keep up and it is still kicking my XXX. This went for about and hour and a half back and forth. then it started to just get heavy and slow. At that time i picked up the phone and started calling my friends letting them know what was going on. My friend Jim R. who works at effinger sporting goods, and the fisherman on weekends was in as much disbelief as i was. I think the conversation lasted thirty seconds before the fish made another blistering run. Holding on and tightening the drag i eventually turned him and started gaining line at a steady pace. Still not knowing what it was i kept reeling and reeling. finally i was starting to feel the the weight of the rollers working to my advantage. Was this finally the end of this battle?
I kept reeling and reeling and and could feel it was pretty close so i turned on my head lamp and my flashlight to see if i could get a good look. And just like a nature show i see this giant profile in a rolling wave. Giant head, huge eye, and a wide open mouth filled with nasty teeth. Without a doubt, no doubts at all this shark was at least ten feet long, thats being very conservative, and that ten foot guess is of what i could see. I could only see about two or three feet past the dorsal. No tail in sight. Not having a clue of what to do I just sat there thinking, I aint gonna lip this thing. and there is no way in hell i am going out there to tail it. So i just loosened my drag a little bit and just kept steady pressure on, hoping, the tiny waves would bring him in. About fifteen minutes went by and i gained about five feet. Then suddenly he woke up and ran and ran and ran. Just as fast as before. thank god i had not locked up my drag. Running and running easily taking two hundred fifty yards and then nothin. UHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he threw the hook, so i thought. i sat there put the rod back in the spike. let the line stay out there i felt weight and resistance of the bunker still on the line so i just let it sit there for about ten more minutes while i caught my breath. I reeled it up and found that it straightend out my hook and my 3 foot 80lb cortland toothy critter wire leader was kinked up and stripped of almost all the nylon coating. wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow.
I thought i did everything right. I have caught plenty of 20's and 30's and even a forty lb bass on the beach. But who knows how long that hook was bent out like that for.
but its funny I look back, and think, what the heck would i do even if i got this things belly to touch the sand. Why would i keep it. if i took pics how would i put it back and have it live. if i kept it where would i put a fifteen foot shark. THE roof of my car did come to mind, heheh.
I don't like telling to many people about my fishing spots, or giving up to many whats and wheres, but I am not posting this as a fish report or just a story.
There is a big shark, out there and where there is one there could be many. the fact that this thing picked up my bunker 20 feet from the sand is just outright scary. Big shark probably a big thresher, but this thing was thick with a hug jaw. I also wonder if the seal i had seen the night before had any relation, i know sharks seals and surfers have some kind of relation, at least to scientists. So if anyone plans to go swimming just watch it. if anyone sees him post up i want another shot at him.

ROD SHIMANO TIRELEJO 10 FOOT RATED 3-6OZ
REEL VAN STAAL VSB 150 GOLD WITH BAIL AND BROKEN DRAG CLICKER
LINE POWER PRO -340 YARDS OF 30 LB JUST SPOOLED AT EFFINGER BY MASTER SPOOLER JIM R.
LINE POWER PRO- 20 FEET 65 POUND BRAID CASTING LEADER
LEADER 80 POUND TOOTHY CRITTER KNOTTABLE COATED STEEL MULTI STRAND
HOOK 10/0 GAMAKATSU OCTOPUS HOOK
WEIGHT 5 OUNCE ROUNDED PYRAMID
TIME FOUGHT APPROX 210 MINUTES
ADVIL FOR SORE BACK AND ARMS 20
Nick Paritte
tight lines