Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Kayak Fishing

Kayak Fishing Going out on the seas in very small plastic boats and getting towed by very big fish!!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Default Narragansett bay- The Narrows

It almost tome for vacation. Due to the GF's crappy vacation schedule we are headed to Rhode Island August 10th. We are staying in the Narragansett Bay Area. I have ambitions to fish The Narrows. I know august isnt the best part of the year, but.

I have a Old Town Dirigo 106, that I use on Champlain for bass,catsfish and bowfin.

How are these waters for the most part? Should I rent a more sea worthy rig?
Looking at google maps, it LOOKS like for the most part the waters is protected enough that my boat should handle it. I am talking the inland bay off of the The Narrows. What do you all use for lures and bait down here?

I have only fished Rhode Island once and that was off a friends boat off Block island with eels. I would like to drag around some eels in the early morning. Im a little bit like chief brody, love the water, but my irrational fears of it kick in. So me going out at night is not an option YET.

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 05:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Narragansett bay- The Narrows

You should post this on the Conn RI forum. I have never yakked up there.
If nobody comes back, try the NEKF (new england kayak fishing) message board.

Good luck/
Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 AM

I started doing a little striper fishing in Narragansett Bay last year when I won a kayak in a raffle at my local bait shop! It is a great hobby.
I love being out on the bay in the kayak either with a camera or fishing pole or my MP3 player - usually I have all 3.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Narrows" - but there are stripers all over the bay right now - my son just got a 37 inch 30 pound beauty in 9 feet of water near Prudence Island.

One note of caution - stay out of the way of the big boats with the big wakes and don't go out when the winds get up to 10 knots or more. I'm not saying you can't handle the speed bumps and potholes you'll encounter - but it is a lot more pleasant in smooth water. 10 knots and above is better for sailboats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsaws View Post
It almost tome for vacation. Due to the GF's crappy vacation schedule we are headed to Rhode Island August 10th. We are staying in the Narragansett Bay Area. I have ambitions to fish The Narrows. I know august isnt the best part of the year, but.

I have a Old Town Dirigo 106, that I use on Champlain for bass,catsfish and bowfin.

How are these waters for the most part? Should I rent a more sea worthy rig?
Looking at google maps, it LOOKS like for the most part the waters is protected enough that my boat should handle it. I am talking the inland bay off of the The Narrows. What do you all use for lures and bait down here?

I have only fished Rhode Island once and that was off a friends boat off Block island with eels. I would like to drag around some eels in the early morning. Im a little bit like chief brody, love the water, but my irrational fears of it kick in. So me going out at night is not an option YET.

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 11:40 AM

THANKS!

Any information is always useful.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:17 PM

the NEKF is a wealth of information!