Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 08-26-2018, 04:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Default good few Florida weeks

had the 8w mostly on the WC florida beaches a few days with winds but mostly calm Snook, Jack Crevalle , Spanish Mackerel , lady fish on the beach side , Trout , Grouper , sm jacks , ladyfish & a few missed juvenile Tarpon in the bay side before sun up .Finally met up w/ Kroc on a Pinellas beach one morning after a few times trying to get together , excellent fisherman & great guy to talk fishing with,glad it happened & hope to fish again soon. Waters were fine no problems , beer was cold & the sun was hot ...its summer right !
Old 08-27-2018, 06:47 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: good few Florida weeks

I guess you weren't around the red tide areas? north or south of it? Or has that dissipated?

Great that you could meat up with Kroc, always sounds like a great guy here!!

Awesome report!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:18 AM
SS/Veteran

not going to fill the board here with Fla. stuff as its at no intrest by request so I will keep it short , I know you have intrest in weather so enjoy .

Southwest Florida recently has experienced two types of algal blooms, both in the Gulf of Mexico and in freshwater systems such as the Caloosahatchee River.
The red tide, formally known as Karenia brevis, was already in Gulf waters at the beginning of this year. It is an often recurring bloom that typically starts 10 to 40 miles offshore. Red tide isn't always red. It can range in color.
Blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, is a more recent bloom affecting fresh waters in Southwest Florida. This "algae" more closely conforms in color to its name.
With both algae blooming in the area at the same time, it's hard to know which is which.News people get it confused a lot .

We were north w/ good water , I was not concerned ., I had low winds my time there only a few S winds days which brings in hot air and eel grass , The day I met Kroc we had the most wind & DUH ! I had the fly rod in the car so I struggled that am , grass on every cast just about . I skunked that morning .
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM

Karenia brevis is what I was referencing and wasn't sure if you were north of the affected regions as I heard how many sea animals have died from it.

Thanks again for the report!
Old 08-27-2018, 02:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Karenia brevis is what I was referencing and wasn't sure if you were north of the affected regions as I heard how many sea animals have died from it.

Thanks again for the report!

We have Loggerhead turtles nestings our beaches around the full moon & plenty of patrols in 4x4 vehicles making sure the nesting goes undisturbed . Dolphins & Manatee are plentiful outside our residence on both tides daily. Restrictions on boat traffic speed has been reduced , really gets the wave runners pissed off . Local county Sheriff depts stop the tourist constantly .
Old 08-27-2018, 04:37 PM

Yeah, those speed restrictions get folks upset, and probably don't help the sea mammals much with respect to jetskiis. They do have impeller drives after all, though clonking a loggerhead turtle probably doesn't help the poor critter much.

Boats on the other hand, can really do some damage.