Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 12-08-2019, 08:47 PM

Default Wind Knots

Am I the only one out there who spends at least one part of every fishing trip dealing with a wind knot?
Is it something I'm doing or failing to be careful enough about. Is it the bulk spools of less expensive line I'm using? I can fish for hours, no problem, and then - bang - I get another snarl.
I think there must be something to do.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:45 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Wind Knots

You are knot (sic) the only one to deal with wind knots but look at it this way: it's a sign you're out there fishing

Fishing with braid, and with a spinning reel, lends itself to wind knots... the habit you need to develop is to (1) always close your bail manually after every cast. every time and (2) when doing so, or especially if you did NOT do #1, manually pull the line out from the reel with the bail closed, before you start reeling. That slop near the reel when you start reeling is the single biggest cause of "wind knots".

There can be other things going on, from weird line twist (which can be reduced with judicious use of high quality swivels) to who knows what, but the issue near the reel is the most common culprit IME, and from what other well respected surf rats have shared.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:36 AM

Thanks Rob!
So, I don't actually need to run out and buy the newest high end (expensive!) braid?
I've been fishing enough to get practiced up on very patiently unpicking small to moderate size knots. Every once in a while, though, I hear a bird's nest hit my guides and know that I've just reached that moment where I'm losing enough line to have to respool. I've gotten really good at splicing on 100 yard segments to the good stuff farther in on my spool. (Tip: a dab of super glue in the knot: it might not make any difference if the knot's properly tied, but it does wonders fro my confidence.) Even so, line can get expensive.

Also, I have taken to always keeping a backup rod and reel in my car. I hate the thought of being at the beach and having my only rig crap out in my hands. It's a long drive home for me!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:03 AM

Yes, when I was fishing a lot, backups were always in my vehicle, and I didn't have as far a drive as you do!

Some braids are, in fact, better than others but it takes a long time, money, and experience to figure out which will work best *for you*.

Power pro had a lot of early criticisms and suffix was "the braid", but there are others out there, and PP seems to have gotten better or folks have just settled in on using it due to availability.

I upsize my braid a bit not based on lb-test, but to get the right feel for the rig (baitcaster vs. spinner, conventional vs. levelwind etc) type and size (bait + 8oz is a very different requirement than an 8 ft 1-2oz rated plugging rod)

Still, with braid moreso than mono, eventually you will run into those knots, and if you pay attention you will notice conditions (wind, current, your particular fishing cadence etc) that will more likely cause them, but eventually you will still run into "wind" knots. Just like casting conventional and baitcasters, no matter how good my thumb + the anti-backlash mechanisms on modern reels, eventually I will run into the mother of all backlashes, requiring me to cut off major portions of the line.

Goes with fishing!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:58 AM

I won't throw braid on the beach. It kills wildlife.

Usually I end up tucking it tucking it into my waders and have a little nest of it down in my boot toes that's built up over the season.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I won't throw braid on the beach. It kills wildlife.

Usually I end up tucking it tucking it into my waders and have a little nest of it down in my boot toes that's built up over the season.
goes without saying, really.

I don't throw anything on the beach that doesn't belong there.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Am I the only one out there who spends at least one part of every fishing trip dealing with a wind knot?
Is it something I'm doing or failing to be careful enough about. Is it the bulk spools of less expensive line I'm using? I can fish for hours, no problem, and then - bang - I get another snarl.
I think there must be something to do.
Yes, we all get wind knots from time to time. The 3 most common for me are:
1. Newly spooled line. I usually go to the local shop and they treat me very well. Unfortunately, they always put too much line on the spool. And its done by a machine so it's nice and tight and uniform. I'm anything but tight and uniform . I always end up removing 25-30 yards before I make a cast.

2. When throwing rigged eels, sluggo's or other light plugs. Although they're heavy on the cast when retrieved slowly you can hardly feel them, which creates loose line on the spool. Remedy is to every so often throw a heavy plug or BT to tighten up the line on spool.

3. Might not pertain to you but, I mainly use non-bailed reels. At times when grabbing the line with my finger I'll pull it across the top of the spool and it'll loop around the drag knob. Next cast knot.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:35 PM
SS/Veteran

Joe, I was getting them when I was using a 1/4oz tsunami Shad and reeling real slow. It made the line on the spool soft, spongie .
Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Also, I have taken to always keeping a backup rod and reel in my car. I hate the thought of being at the beach and having my only rig crap out in my hands. It's a long drive home for me!
I learned my lesson about backups during one evening hot bite going on when an okuma reel blew up on me. I actually had to hand line the last fish in.

I can't recall exactly what happened to the reel but I was ticked.

Never left home without a spare again. Also, when spin fishing I'd keep a flyrod handy, or vice versa. Still do, for if conditions warrant, I much prefer the flyrod. I'm just not a purist.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:33 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

They got it. Light lures on a slow retrieve and over filled spools of new line are the culprits. I try to take a step or 2 back after locking up before I start to crank to get any loops out of the line.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Senior Fellow

I try to snap my line tight with a rod yank after the cast hits the water; think it may pull it straight and prevent the crazy loops from knotting up