Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Striper Talk -- Outflows

Do you have remarks or questions regarding estuarine outflows in the striper surf?
Old 09-09-2019, 05:22 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Striper Talk -- Outflows

I do. What are the characteristics of an "outflow" to you? Are they FW sourced, like a river? Are they strictly tidal, say an enclosed bay in a tidal marsh area? Do those question even make sense, or is it a place where water constricts causing an accelerated current on the tide swing?

A recent talk I went to, the angler was mentioning "sounds". Other than something like a geographical feature, e.g. "Long Island Sound" (which is very large, of course), I wasn't exactly sure what he was referencing, since he fished in South Jersey pretty much exclusively.

Enough for now (and of course I assume 99.9% of the fishing at said outflow should be done at night).
Old 09-10-2019, 06:25 AM
SS/Veteran

I do all my fishing at night. Outflows can be from any source -- river, bay filling and emptying, rises and falls of tide. Main thing is that the water moves. Stripers utilize moving water to deliver bait-food to them. Oh, sure you can locate and catch fish on a dead stray beach, but the more the water moves, the more likely you will find fish feeding there. They go to it.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Some outflows pay off on the incoming tide, though less than outgoing. The one my wife and I hang out in never pays off on the incoming, is dead at that time, yet is wildly reliable on the drop. It is so sure that I can't remember ever being skunked on the drop. Timing is paramount: don't even start until 3 hours down, then you will have fish right until low slack, the lower the better.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:05 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Some outflows pay off on the incoming tide, though less than outgoing. The one my wife and I hang out in never pays off on the incoming, is dead at that time, yet is wildly reliable on the drop. It is so sure that I can't remember ever being skunked on the drop. Timing is paramount: don't even start until 3 hours down, then you will have fish right until low slack, the lower the better.

drainage ditches off the sods seem to have similar prime windows, depending on the particular sod, moon etc.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM
SS/Veteran

Yes, no doubt the sod ditches provide current which would carry forage for gamefish to feed on. Good point.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:23 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank, somewhere in your books you mention that beaches adjacent to an outflow are productive also. I've found that to be true...must be that the water exchange keeps extra food and fish in the vicinity, even though those beaches may have no current. I like fishing those beaches especially if conditions are dangerous on an outflows' jetties, or if they're crowded.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:25 PM
SS/Veteran

Yes, outflows can often be crowded. Also, the presence of an outflow also influences nearby waters. It then becomes a case of trying to take advantage of outflow influence without living with the mob scene of the actual outflow. Again, you might prefer the lesser rise/inflow because it would be all yours. Situations are different, sometimes.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:20 PM

Been fishing a tidal creek/river for many years with a huge herring run. Seems sun up/sundown cloudy days and bait in water to be more important than tide in this estuary. One of those places that time on water is the key. Fall fishing has been way down in recent years.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:37 AM
SS/Veteran

While outflows are important, other behavioral issues still figure in to the formula. Bass seem to respond to the change in light and when you combine that with outflow issues, you get improved whoppertunity.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:51 AM
SS/Veteran

I have come to appreciate outflows only after dark. Sure, sunset can be good with impending darkness; and if bass have been around an outflow all night, they often linger well past the dawn. But you will know when they have stopped hitting, that they are gone.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:33 AM

I have fished the same outflow exclusively for the last twenty years. Frank, I am certain you know and have fished this place. I go when I can regardless of the tide stage and have fished it hard during every phase of tide and moon, I have not fished any other location in that time other than my boat. There are at least five small streams that empty into the pond and a wide gut where it empties into the ocean and fills with the tides. It produces some strong currents on the exchange of water and that has formed a bottom with lots of holes and cuts and an abrupt drop over a bar. I have a pretty good idea of where these bottom changes are and target those. Definately noticed the bite increase as darkness comes. I would give the nod to the outgoing dropping tide for good fishing but I have also had lots of good fishing on the incoming.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Outflows are very different than other outflows. As you point out, Bob, the more you fish one the more you are likely to learn about a specific one. I have had some that use to keep me awake at night waiting for the time to be right. Among their sweet spots is the timing as well as the very place where you are standing to fish from. Many surfmen just there and cast without knowing what is really important and lack the intimacy to get the most out of a location.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Outflows draw bass because they produce moving water. If you can find places where the water accelerates for some reason, even if not an outflow, bass will line up there. The Cape's Race point, arguably not an outflow, is awesome on the drop. On the rise, on the other hand, the fish line up in rise current but that is too far out for a shore fishermen to reach.