Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Deer Hunting Catch-All Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Bigass View Post
... I wonder how most of you feel about those who hunt only for trophies, and fill up a room at home with all kinds of stuffed animals. ...
If you kill it, you (or someone else) eats it. If not, it's a wasted life and bad karma for the killer. Period.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:41 PM

For me hunting isn't about killing. Yes taking a life is part of the deal, but for me that part isn't the thrill. The execution of a well planned hunt that results my being lucky enough to outsmart the animal on that given day is where its at. The same goes for fishing.

I spent many years on the Marine Corps, and was always a little put off by how the guys in the South would describe their success as "I killed an 8 point this weekend". In the North I usually here guys talk about shooting or harvesting their game. I know they are just words, but somehow the message seems different.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 PM

I don't see it as a regional thing ("I killed an 8 point ... ") at all. I have many Southern friends, most all are hunters and fishermen, all respect their quarry and delight in cooking and consuming them. Bottom line to me, fishing and hunting is a sport, plain and simple. My object in hunting is to make as humane a kill as possible, and launching an arrow or bullet when it do look like the kill will happen (pass up marginal shots). If yer a hunter, ya need to be honest with yerself - yes, you kill for the food, always, but yer in the sport for the kill.

I think most humans have the primal urge to kill for food, suppressed or not, but a supermart and deli obliterates the need to do the deed themselves and will condemn hunting as unnecessary. That's hypocritical, IMO, since someone is killing the meat they eat.

Hunters know that primal kill-for-sustenance feeling intimately but have no need to discuss it. We just do it. Thank God we still can ... for now ...
Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I know these things get talked about but when you grow up with hunting the way that I did there is no morality play. The game is just part of the overall natural world like picking an apple. The only time it becomes personal is when I screw up, like picking up my head on a shot, which is the most common reason for missing. Farmers are not mad at their veal calves; they are just calves. Trophy hunting is another of those notions that gets passed father to son to discredit hunting. If you have a full freezer you trophy hunt. A deer on the wall is still in the freezer. WE do rack plaques on only the nicest "horns".
Old 11-08-2007, 12:16 PM
SS/Veteran

I have thought on this back and forth for many years, taking a life form etc. I hear the screams when even mowing the lawn and the first frost is really noisy, a hook in a fishes mouth etc. My conclusion is somethings must die so some other life forms can eat and thus live.

If you go back to mother natures rules if your eyes are on the front of your head you are a predator, if they are on the sides you are dinner.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Authorities in Rhode Island have a stuffed deer with some sort of smoke or fog pills that give off a steamy breathe and they set this thing up in an open field along a road to lure hunters into shooting at it illegally. Its gone now because so many shots have been fired into it. Of course the average hunter would never shoot at an illegal deer. It is the surfcasters who deer hunt that can't be trusted.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I hear the screams when even mowing the lawn and the first frost is really noisy, a hook in a fishes mouth etc.
Jeez Merlin,
You fishing around me? I never hear screams from fish, but the sea robins and croakers I catch and I have had some discussions...
I dont hunt, never had the desire, and if I did, I dont think the screams would bother me much. I KNOW I have heard worse from humans...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 PM

The Rut is in full swing here in NY. I saw four different bucks from one stand this weekend. Poor little does getting chased around like they stole something from those horny bastards.

RFD,

That is a fine buck, especially with your choice of gear. Maybe someday when I've figured out this hunting deal, I'll raise the stakes to that level.
Well done and thanks for the pic.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:05 PM

I see no evidence of the rut here in Conn and RI. There is very little shooting, it is warm, and there is so much mast that the deer don't have to move to feed. We are doing awful!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Frank,

Sorry to hear about your slow season. You're always welcome in our camp, but would have to put up with a bunch of Marine veterans.

The Rut turned on like a light switch out here this year. Nothing...nothing...nothing...bam, bucks chasing does.

Shotgun season opens this Saturday, so away goes the bow and out comes the 12 gauge.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
SS/Veteran

Deer after the first day of gun season from the invasion of stinking humans go totally nocturnal, or move in close to houses even if there is a barking dog in the yard. The deepest heavy cover is also a safe place for them. Of course the horny bucks will follow the does but they will be more cautious and wander around only when it is pitch dark.
On a lighter side one of the biggest bucks shot in Massachusetts lived on the median strip of Rt 28 on one of those tree covered islands.
It is a good idea to take your stand real early and think what other hunters will do and where they will come from to push deer towards you. Of course Saturday is prime time and you do not need a lunch break because that is when every other hunter is heading to the car and moving deer.
Good luck and make the first shot count!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:12 PM

I don't write books on deer hunting.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:53 PM
SS/Veteran

So ends this thread.---ka put!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:37 PM

No, the thread doesn't have to end. Seems to me if googan surfmen can post then the moderator can post googanistic deer issues. Hope you don't want me to be an expert on everything .
Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 PM
SS/Veteran

What is the latest thing to do with a deer hide. Years ago you could scrap it and salt it with kosher salt, send it in and they would send you deer skin gloves. Excuse if the tail was missing because that went to the guys who tied flies.

Now what do you do with the skin?