Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Weed?

The brain surgeons of Mogadishu who legalized weed are now rushing to do damage control on millions paid to state police in unserved overtime and thousands more violations of which Registry of Motor Vehicles was informed but did not act upon. This irresponsible behavior is reason given for the death of 7 motorcycle people in N.H. last month when a cretin with a record longer than Hillary's dance card veered into oncoming traffic. Everyone should spend even part of their life in Taxachusetts for a lesson in bad government. Just don't bring your gun or you will be charged for owning one.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 PM
SS/Veteran

The weed stores are cropping up all over Mogadishu and the panic for licensing is out of control. I guess liberals are a great source for marketing dope. Hope those pot heads are not going to go hunting this fall.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Don't worry, they will become so stupid that (a) they won't be able to find their guns and (b) they'll vote for Pocahontas even if she's not on the ballot next year.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:05 PM
SS/Veteran

For me the notion of filtering smoke through my lungs is abhorrent. I smoked cigarettes for 40 years which ruined my heart along with a slight emphazima and trace COPD. I'm hearing that grass is not as bad as tobacco. But I can't imagine weed being any cleaner on your lungs. That in the end people are going to ruin their health with weed just as quickly as they did with tobacco. Hope i'm wrong because I don't get anything out of others being sick. Of secondary concern is the danger of one being altered in the performance of driving, flying or daily function which require a full range of faculties. I do know that "smokers" who try and fish do poorly because I saw it.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
What bothers me is that pot becomes just one more reason for people to drive down your side of the road. We have booze, hard drugs and now weed. Can we have just a tiny minority of our citizens who have their sheet together? Hiding in my house with a loaded gun with the lights out gets old quite quickly. Next thing we are going to see these guys hunting. Matter of time.

Its funny how the elder generation in todays world are so far out of touch with the marijuana status in this country, it isn't coming , its here and been here for years in full force. Hunters, doctors, lawyers, cops, librarians, teachers, nurses, auto mechanics are just a small part of the user group.

Personally, I think the authorities spent too much time and energy fighting the weed war, its about time its at least decriminalized so the authorities can spend their time battling more serious issues and the users don't get labeled for the remainder of their lives for smoking pot. Courts and jails are packed with pot heads, not needed.

In addition, its a taxable revenue, look at Colorados success. Too many positives in legalizing as opposed to drawbacks, forget the GATEWAY theory, all hard users started with weed, maybe true, they also ate pizza. I'm 61, grew up with weed, its no big deal, I never once wanted to put a needle in my arm or groin.

The only drawback is that they haven't developed a test to see if drivers are impaired or when they last used. If caught (possession in the driving cabin while driving), take their license for a year, doesn't matter if they smoked or not.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander1 View Post
... Hunters, doctors, lawyers, cops, librarians, teachers, nurses, auto mechanics are just a small part of the user group.

this explains a lot.

thanks for that.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:45 PM

a couple of years old, but I'd be surprised if much has changed:

According to the new report by the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area entitled “The Legalization of Marijuana in Colorado: The Impact,” the impact of legalized marijuana in Colorado has resulted in:
1. The majority of DUI drug arrests involve marijuana and 25 to 40 percent were marijuana alone.
2. In 2012, 10.47 percent of Colorado youth ages 12 to 17 were considered current marijuana users compared to 7.55 percent nationally. Colorado ranked fourth in the nation, and was 39 percent higher than the national average.
3. Drug-related student suspensions/expulsions increased 32 percent from school years 2008-09 through 2012-13, the vast majority were for marijuana violations.
4. In 2012, 26.81 percent of college age students were considered current marijuana users compared to 18.89 percent nationally, which ranks Colorado third in the nation and 42 percent above the national average.
5. In 2013, 48.4 percent of Denver adult arrestees tested positive for marijuana, which is a 16 percent increase from 2008.
6. From 2011 through 2013 there was a 57 percent increase in marijuana-related emergency room visits.
7. Hospitalizations related to marijuana has increased 82 percent since 2008.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:35 PM
SS/Veteran

Highlander is right. I am one of those people who doesn't have a clue about the stuff.* The notion of putting smoke in my lungs gives me the heebie-jeebies. I'm not trying to pontificate regarding weed. There was a lot of injustice regarding the punishment of those who used it.

*= What is hemp? CBD? A fatty? Toak? There are more questions but I can't remember them.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
a couple of years old, but I'd be surprised if much has changed:

According to the new report by the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area entitled ?The Legalization of Marijuana in Colorado: The Impact,? the impact of legalized marijuana in Colorado has resulted in:
1. The majority of DUI drug arrests involve marijuana and 25 to 40 percent were marijuana alone.
2. In 2012, 10.47 percent of Colorado youth ages 12 to 17 were considered current marijuana users compared to 7.55 percent nationally. Colorado ranked fourth in the nation, and was 39 percent higher than the national average.
3. Drug-related student suspensions/expulsions increased 32 percent from school years 2008-09 through 2012-13, the vast majority were for marijuana violations.
4. In 2012, 26.81 percent of college age students were considered current marijuana users compared to 18.89 percent nationally, which ranks Colorado third in the nation and 42 percent above the national average.
5. In 2013, 48.4 percent of Denver adult arrestees tested positive for marijuana, which is a 16 percent increase from 2008.
6. From 2011 through 2013 there was a 57 percent increase in marijuana-related emergency room visits.
7. Hospitalizations related to marijuana has increased 82 percent since 2008.
Not going to challenge the above FACTS, however lets consider the source. Folks at Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking need to justify their existence and their future so they have studies with results that are favorable to their plight. I'm sure if I want to search on the web for positive results in Co regarding weed that they are available. Why do we wish to continue wasting money and energy battling on something that is rampant and widespread and generally accepted by the majority of folks under 65?

As for Emergency Room and hospitalization increases, of course there are increases as before 2011 it wasn't legal and no stats were kept or weed was never considered a cause. Never knew of anyone OD'ing on weed or even becoming gravely ill, perhaps that's another fallacy or now legitimate excuse to obtain treatment. The other stats are also suspect, stats are made for folks that want them to be what they want them to be in many cases.

What I do know for a fact is that my sister and her children (5) live there since the early 90's and all own multiple homes and enjoy good jobs and a great lifestyle. They credit weed legalization with much of their success, although they are not users, the job, real estate and recreational markets have exploded and its become more of a a vacation haven than ever before. You want to sight increases in MV arrests and accidents, fine, its also because there are many more people there than 15 years ago. The positives seem to far outweigh the negatives. Stoners aren't reckless, dangerous or bad people, keep them off the roads and you'll have few issues. As for kids, nobody promotes the use of weed to kids (under 16), much like booze, its a learned behavior at home.

Legalize it, tax it and let the market mandate its success or not. Canada legalized it last year, they ran out of product much like many of our states like Mass and CA, shows how popular it really is. Like I said, it isn't coming, its here and been here for quite some time, if folks are as informed as they should be, they know that.

I'll go as far to say and this is a personal opinion, we would all be better off if they made booze illegal and weed legit in all states.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:18 PM
SS/Veteran

"I'll go as far to say and this is a personal opinion, we would all be better off if they made booze illegal and weed legit in all states."

Highlander, l have often had that thought myself. I am mildly curious about weed but I have proven to have such an addictive personality and aversion to lung/breathing issues that I fear smoke. I am not going through withdrawal again, which is the worst experience I ever had in my life. Forty years of Pall Malls had me crying an awful lot. Even now, I have no way of knowing if, or when, I might be called to pay for all those years of smoking. All my friends, even my brother, are dead from smoking. There won't be anybody at my funeral.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Latest kafifal spawned by our ever resourceful fake news media is that hospitals are treating toddlers under five for injesting cookies and chockolets containing maijuaona (sp). I still think legalization was a bad idea.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:21 PM
SS/Veteran

So-called pot shops charge way more money, probably because of taxes and associated fees, and buyers have to wait in line to get some. Illegal street venders, on the other hand, sell at a much better price and without overhead and taxes. People buy where they get the best deal: on the Mogadishu streets.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:21 PM

I have enjoyed recreational alcohol for decades and successfully dodged pot usage. My friends who imbibed in weed have turned out to be dramatically less lucid adults than my friends who drank. Admittedly, the sample size is small. My main concern with legalization is the difficulty in testing for DUI due to pot. As Highlander1 suggested, we need to error on the conservative side and take licenses for possession in a car.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:36 AM

U.S. health officials said they have been especially alarmed because the potency of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in the new professionally grown strains of the marijuana plant is much higher than it was in the past. In 1995, when marijuana was mostly smoked, the amount was about 4 percent, they said. It’s now 12 percent to 25 percent. Marijuana is also now available in even more-concentrated forms — including cookies and oils — where the concentration can be as high as 80 or 90 percent.
“This isn’t your mother’s marijuana,” Adams stated at the news conference announcing the initiative.
Although the officials said they recognize the potential medicinal uses of marijuana’s components — indeed, low doses of the marijuana extract cannabidiol is now being used to treat seizures in some forms of epilepsy — they emphasized that frequent marijuana use during adolescence can affect attention, memory, decision-making and motivation, and that those youth are more likely to miss classes, do poorly in school and drop out.
In pregnant women, marijuana use can affect the developing fetus’s brain and is linked to lower birth weight. Health officials also emphasized that the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists discourage the use of marijuana after pregnancy because THC is transmitted in breast milk.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...t-women-youth/

.... just as in vaping, more health impacts are going to be known over the coming years since it's move toward "general" acceptance.

I don't go with the "everyone uses it" argument either. Take it off the list of schedule 1 drugs, decriminalize simple possession, but don't make it generally available either.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:42 AM
SS/Veteran

Half bad we have an array of mind altering drugs already. Now we have people getting stoned outside the run-of-the-mill opioids and alcohol. Remember that you have to share society with these people driving cars, running equipment, flying planes, firing guns on target ranges, hunting. If you think we had some crazy bastards before all this, wait until you experience regular interactions with the new culture. Tell me: why do they call this stuff, dope?