Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:26 PM

Smile Introduction

I'm new to the site so I thought I would give a really quick introduction.

My name is Thomas and I am originally from NC. I lived in West Milford, NJ for a few years after grad school and got a little taste of the NJ striper fishery before I moved to SC back in Jan 2004. For the last 8 years, I have been focused on redfish down here but look forward to getting back on the stripers once I move to the Rahway area in July of this year. I hope the fishery and access are at least as good as they were when I left back in Dec 2003.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively nice and inexpensive area to live within commuting distance of Rahway?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Default Re: Introduction

Welcome back...nice and inexpensive dont really go together in NJ...and commuting distance here is relative...some are 20 minutes most are 40 to an hour+

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Thanks for keeping it real Frank. I guess I definitely have some mental preparation to do before I get back into the Jersey hustle.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

I grew up in Wanaque so I am real familiar with West Milford....Rahway is a LONG way from there and not just in distance....I would head south into Monmouth county....unless you have to be at work at 9am....that Driscoll bridge and parkway commute can kill...

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Welcome TC, Joe
Old 04-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Welcome. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Welcome Tom! I'm sure you will enjoy the site, lots of good info here. Cant help you with places to live near Rahway (I've been told I am not allowed north of the Raritan River ). As Frank N said, nice and inexpensive are terms not usually used together in Jersey... As far as access, hasn't changed much since 2003.
As a side note, I am doing the opposite of you, retiring in Mar 2012, and heading to SC. My fiancee is from there, and we will head down that way. Just wont live where she is from, upstate, looking more for coastal. Cant wait to try fishing for Redfish!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N View Post
I grew up in Wanaque so I am real familiar with West Milford....Rahway is a LONG way from there and not just in distance....I would head south into Monmouth county....unless you have to be at work at 9am....that Driscoll bridge and parkway commute can kill...
Hi Frank,

We were specifically in Hewitt when we lived up near West Milford. It was a little crowded by Greenwood Lake but not too bad of a place to live. I have some great friends in Wanaque and surely wish that I had bought something up there when they did 20 years ago! I will definitely check out possibilities in Monmouth County. If I'm not mistaken, the train runs straight up from there to Rahway without any connections. I've never used public transportation on a regular basis but maybe that would be a viable option? Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
Welcome Tom! I'm sure you will enjoy the site, lots of good info here. Cant help you with places to live near Rahway (I've been told I am not allowed north of the Raritan River ). As Frank N said, nice and inexpensive are terms not usually used together in Jersey... As far as access, hasn't changed much since 2003.
As a side note, I am doing the opposite of you, retiring in Mar 2012, and heading to SC. My fiancee is from there, and we will head down that way. Just wont live where she is from, upstate, looking more for coastal. Cant wait to try fishing for Redfish!

Hi Ragman,

I'm relieved to hear that the beach access has not been affected much since 2003. I have seen the access to my native NC Outer Banks diminish dramatically over the last couple of years for a variety of reasons.

If you are looking at coastal property in SC then you definitely picked the right time to do it. With the exception of Charleston, many of the coastal properties in SC are 2nd homes or vacation homes. With the faltering economy, no one is buying these types of properties right now and the price of these homes has plummeted.

Here is an example from my own recent experience. My wife and I built a small home in McCllellanvile (between Georgetown and Charleston) 3 years ago at a cost of $325,000 for the home and the 1 acre lot. This house was built essentially wind proof to 130+ mph and flood proof to a 20 ft storm surge (good points in this area). This is important because many of the older homes in are not built to current building codes for hurricane prone areas and many are not even elevated. At the end of last year, my wife and I found out that we would lose our jobs as a result of Roche closing our site in SC. Realizing that we would almost certainly have to move to find work as chemists, we hired a firm to give us an honest estimate of the current value of our home and a projected time it would take to sell it. The result was $130,000 and 1 year to sell. At that price, we decided to just keep it but the bottom line is that there are many deals out there right now. Amazingly, you can buy a home at the coast cheaper right now than you can purchase one in some of the inland towns like Florence, Columbia, etc. Just a few years ago, it would have cost at least twice as much to purchase a home at the coast. Anyway, good luck on your move and let me know if I can do anything to help.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
I'm new to the site so I thought I would give a really quick introduction.

My name is Thomas and I am originally from NC. I lived in West Milford, NJ for a few years after grad school and got a little taste of the NJ striper fishery before I moved to SC back in Jan 2004. For the last 8 years, I have been focused on redfish down here but look forward to getting back on the stripers once I move to the Rahway area in July of this year. I hope the fishery and access are at least as good as they were when I left back in Dec 2003.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively nice and inexpensive area to live within commuting distance of Rahway?
knowing Jersey and the New York area, how far do you want to commute?

do you want to live near streams and out west, or do you prefer
closer to the shore (bayshore or otherwise)?

are you an urban, suburban or rural type person?

Personally you couldn't pay me enough to live north of the raritan and east of I287, but that's me.

I grew up in Metuchen (spitting distance from Rahway, relatively speaking of course ) but things have drastically changed from my youth, when I could *bicycle* up to Hadley airport (yes, that Hadley Rd in Piscataway) and fly rockets or planes or wind through farm roads.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Senior Member Team SS

Welcome

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 04-21-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
knowing Jersey and the New York area, how far do you want to commute?

do you want to live near streams and out west, or do you prefer
closer to the shore (bayshore or otherwise)?

are you an urban, suburban or rural type person?

Personally you couldn't pay me enough to live north of the raritan and east of I287, but that's me.

I grew up in Metuchen (spitting distance from Rahway, relatively speaking of course ) but things have drastically changed from my youth, when I could *bicycle* up to Hadley airport (yes, that Hadley Rd in Piscataway) and fly rockets or planes or wind through farm roads.
Hi Rob,
I,m not sure but I feel like the commute somewhere west would be somewhat unbearable since Rahway is located so far East. For this reason I was thinking along the lines of somewhere south near the coast. Maybe even somewhere that I could even take the train to work since there is a stop right next to my new job.

Given a preference, I prefer to be as rural as possible. Currently, my nearest neighbor is 2 miles away and I have to drive 20 miles to get a grocery store. I know that this kind of living is completely out of the question anywhere near Rahway so, given my current options, I'm willing to trade off the rural environment for accessibility to saltwater fishing and waterfowl hunting opportunities.

I can't imagine a time when you could bicycle down Hadley rd. It would probably make a great YouTube video for someone to try it nowadays.

Thomas
Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

if you want a rail commute, there is the NJ coast line that runs all the way down to bayhead, pretty sure that it meets up at Rahway with the main line. Stops I'm familiar with are Red Bank, Little Silver, Long Branch, think there's a Spring Lake stop and there must be others on down. Folks actually commute to NYC from there...seems crazy to me, but they do it.

along the way, there are various communities either on the shore, or inland, that might fit your bill.

If you look at southern Monmouth you might actually find a semi rural area to live in, though you will get sticker shock at most of them. West of Spring Lake there is semi-rural living in the Allaire/Farmingdale area... with some imagination and planning you might find something to allow a mostly-rail commute up.

To live rural, and be near the shore, will take some doing, but it is possible. There are pockets in Monmouth and Ocean (though I think a bit far of a commute for you, Northern Ocean is still possible depending on your requirements) that give a rural feel, even if they are tucked into the otherwise pure suburban landscape.

I don't hunt but the bayshore does have waterfowl opportunities, if not there then for sure just a bit further south in the Navesink. There are pockets of nice communities all around the bayshore with some searching. However from Northern Monmouth on up into Middlesex county, the population/housing gets denser. You just have to trade off commute time and other activities and decide what's right for you.

Here I am now, working in Mount Laurel but for various reasons live close to Atlantic City...so I know about commuting... at least distance..the only traffic I ever hit is the occasional school bus.

(btw if you need a lab tech / entry level type my youngest daughter could use a job... B.S. Biology... just sayin' )
Old 04-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Thanks for all this information Rob. It's very helpful. We will be spending a week up there in early June to look for a place to live and we will use this information as a guide. Hopefully I will also be able to sneak in a fishing trip with the Shore Catch guys while I'm up there.

I'll keep my ears open for a position for your daughter once I get up there. Merck is still trying to sort out the whole Schering merger and currently have a total hiring freeze in place but things should open back up by summertime.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Welcome tomcat, my cuz," giacommin" on this site, lives in Florence and fishes for spot tail down there when he can out to those barrier islands. originally from so. amboy and keyport he is now retired and has lived in sc for about 20 yrs. i get him up here a few times a year for the stripers.