Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 10-28-2006, 05:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Filter feeders yesterday.

Hit one of my favorite jetties late yesterday afternoon. Peanuts were abundant, bass were present, and I could not buy a hit! A couple guys were hitting bass ocasionally by snagging and dropping nuts. I tried too, had one hit and missed. I was getting frustrated but told myself to shut up and be patient! The bass were filter-feeding on the small baits big time, there was so much bait along the beach and jetty, I could not believe it. When they are filter feeding like that they are very selective and won't hit arties regularly, or should I say at all.

So as it begins to get dark guys begin to leave the jetty, I look out further and see the bass going off on the bait school, I was like ... . So I make my way out to the hot area. I pass a guy and I can barely see fish rolling out in front of me, so I snap on my faithful Big Don chartruse ML swimmer, which has been hot for me lately, as well as forever. I look to my left and there is a guy fishing about 20 yards from me. I could not see anything except his black shillouette and the fact that he was throwing a pencil, I could tell by the way he was working his rod. I thought "Hmmmmm...interesting, but I am staying with my hot Donnie." I make a couple cast and look over and the guy is in. I was like, "Hmmmm...interesting." I kept throwing my Don and got two hits but no takers. I look over again and he is in again! This time I was like "OK where's my pencil?" I scronge through my plug bag for it, snap it on and cast-a-way. A cast or two later BAM!...released...cast again..BAM!....let the next one go. Cast again...BAM! Another fish! I was up and down the rocks like a yo-yo. Big wet slimely rocks I was crawling around like a fool, but it was dark and no one could see me. So the guy leaves and now it is full dark. When there is a good pencil bite in the light, I like to go with a needle in the dark, so I open my bag to dig out a needle and I see the black Slug-Go sitting there in one of the slots and the little lite went on. So put it on and begin to cast...BANG! The first fish was the biggest around 18 pounds. Here we go again down the rocks to water level. Release back up, cast BANG, back down...release, this time I said "Screw it, I'm staying down here this time." 5 casts or so...nothing, of course. I'm going back up on top.
Did I mention the filter feeders? Well this is when it gets a little crazy. So I am back on top of the jetty, Slug-Go is battered badly but not beaten. I make a long cast again, then I heard something and saw something out of the corner of my eye moving from the ocean towards the shore. I yelled loudly "Oh shot!!" (Substitute correct letter), and I reel in as fast as I could reel. From my right I first heard it then in the darkness saw the huge wake, rushing water and a loud Pffffffffffffff. A whale came down the side of the jetty filter feeding on the big schools of bait. Yes Moby Dick almost stole my Slug-Go (not on purpose of course). I would have been scared to death except it happened to me years ago in Manasquan. I almost had a heart attack that night, but this time I just stood and watched and listened, knowing that my striper hit was over for now. The whale is an awesome mammal! So I decided to head for home...until I saw a couple guys coming out on the jetty and needless to say I had to linger to watch what happened when Moby breached the surface again. Sure enough as on cue, just when the two passed me Moby broke and the two guys began yelling, cursing and asking all kinds of funny questions. When they calmed down one guy said throw a snatch hook at him. I laughed out loud and headed for home.
What started out frustrating ended up productive and mildly entertaining, I am glad the bass came off the filter-feeding and let me have some fun.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Filter feeders yesterday.

Saw a whale thursday in NoMo,what a site!!

Tight Lines!!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:11 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

DJ that is one amazing report. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:52 PM

Cool Re: Filter feeders yesterday.

wish i had been there
Old 10-28-2006, 08:47 PM

WOW that is really something... btw how big was the whale and how deep was the water where you fished?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Talking Re: Filter feeders yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Muller
Hit one of my favorite jetties late yesterday afternoon. Peanuts were abundant, bass were present, and I could not buy a hit! A couple guys were hitting bass ocasionally by snagging and dropping nuts. I tried too, had one hit and missed. I was getting frustrated but told myself to shut up and be patient! The bass were filter-feeding on the small baits big time, there was so much bait along the beach and jetty, I could not believe it. When they are filter feeding like that they are very selective and won't hit arties regularly, or should I say at all.

So as it begins to get dark guys begin to leave the jetty, I look out further and see the bass going off on the bait school, I was like ... . So I make my way out to the hot area. I pass a guy and I can barely see fish rolling out in front of me, so I snap on my faithful Big Don chartruse ML swimmer, which has been hot for me lately, as well as forever. I look to my left and there is a guy fishing about 20 yards from me. I could not see anything except his black shillouette and the fact that he was throwing a pencil, I could tell by the way he was working his rod. I thought "Hmmmmm...interesting, but I am staying with my hot Donnie." I make a couple cast and look over and the guy is in. I was like, "Hmmmm...interesting." I kept throwing my Don and got two hits but no takers. I look over again and he is in again! This time I was like "OK where's my pencil?" I scronge through my plug bag for it, snap it on and cast-a-way. A cast or two later BAM!...released...cast again..BAM!....let the next one go. Cast again...BAM! Another fish! I was up and down the rocks like a yo-yo. Big wet slimely rocks I was crawling around like a fool, but it was dark and no one could see me. So the guy leaves and now it is full dark. When there is a good pencil bite in the light, I like to go with a needle in the dark, so I open my bag to dig out a needle and I see the black Slug-Go sitting there in one of the slots and the little lite went on. So put it on and begin to cast...BANG! The first fish was the biggest around 18 pounds. Here we go again down the rocks to water level. Release back up, cast BANG, back down...release, this time I said "Screw it, I'm staying down here this time." 5 casts or so...nothing, of course. I'm going back up on top.
Did I mention the filter feeders? Well this is when it gets a little crazy. So I am back on top of the jetty, Slug-Go is battered badly but not beaten. I make a long cast again, then I heard something and saw something out of the corner of my eye moving from the ocean towards the shore. I yelled loudly "Oh shot!!" (Substitute correct letter), and I reel in as fast as I could reel. From my right I first heard it then in the darkness saw the huge wake, rushing water and a loud Pffffffffffffff. A whale came down the side of the jetty filter feeding on the big schools of bait. Yes Moby Dick almost stole my Slug-Go (not on purpose of course). I would have been scared to death except it happened to me years ago in Manasquan. I almost had a heart attack that night, but this time I just stood and watched and listened, knowing that my striper hit was over for now. The whale is an awesome mammal! So I decided to head for home...until I saw a couple guys coming out on the jetty and needless to say I had to linger to watch what happened when Moby breached the surface again. Sure enough as on cue, just when the two passed me Moby broke and the two guys began yelling, cursing and asking all kinds of funny questions. When they calmed down one guy said throw a snatch hook at him. I laughed out loud and headed for home.
What started out frustrating ended up productive and mildly entertaining, I am glad the bass came off the filter-feeding and let me have some fun.
DJ....GREAT STORY!!!!

Do we nickname you Ahab now?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:04 PM

Great story. Any idea what type of whale it was?
Old 10-29-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny m
Saw a whale thursday in NoMo,what a site!!

Tight Lines!!
They were all over...I fishing at Darlington Ave and saw like 3 or 4 whales. Anyone know what kind they are?
Old 10-29-2006, 07:39 PM

Why of course it was the "White Whale"
Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 PM
SS/Veteran

I did the research on it last night and the whale I saw was a humpback whale. I looked up the type of dorsal fin it had, online and quickly deduced that it was a humpback. With all the bait on the beaches, it doesn't surprise me.If it is the same whale I saw earlier in on the beach, which it probably was, was about 30-40' long. The water depth that I was fishing in??? 10-12' .

Ahab
Old 10-30-2006, 02:07 PM

A dead humpback washed ashore a few weeks ago in Wildwood. Possible hit and sunk "The Chef"
Wonder if they are from the same pod?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
SS/Insider KFS NJ MEMBER

Very good read my friend. Sounds like you're out there a lot, I envy that. Trying to find some fish now,making a game plan and hitting the surf ASAP.Good look to you,looking forward to reading more of your posts.mike j.