Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Kayaks in SW Fishing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelieb View Post
I don't get something.. When you peddle there are fins that drop down? Can they come up so you could launch in the surf or fish very shallow water.. Can you beach her without worrying.. Perhaps I need more coffee and I'm being thick.

I did find a PDF I used for free diving... You exhale into it to blow it up so it is a start.

Yes, I have a Hobie kayak with their "Mirage Drive" system, which is operated with pedals similar to a bicycle, which operate two fins under the yak. I read they were designed based on penguin flippers, they sort of scissor back and forth.
You can push one pedal all the way forward, and the fins lay flat up against the hull. You can also pull the whole assembly out easily if you want for beach landings, but I don't find it necessary in the conditions I normally see. It has a regular kayak paddle holster on the side, so in shallow water I put one pedal all the way forward and use the regular kayak paddle. The paddle is also there as a backup in case the drive system breaks, but my drive system has been durable and dependable.
If I lived in an area with surf on the beaches, it would limit launching options, because I would have to launch from protected bays or rivers. I would probably fish rivers and back bays more come to think of it. Once you are out on the water, fairly large rollers aren't a problem for me, so long as I pay attention, especially when I am oriented broadside to them. You get splashed a lot, but any small watercraft is like that. I have the "Revolution" model, which is fairly slim side to side, and I sort of shimmy my hips when the rollers are big, and it's fine. It's sort of fun sometimes, I occasionally can catch a little bit of a surf ride on them.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Has government thought of registering yaks yet.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Anybody see all the yaks being used in Texas for transporting possessions?
Old 09-05-2017, 01:04 PM

I'm not aware of any interest in registering them yet. Come to think of it, my kids have a 16 foot sail boat that does not have to be register either, unless we put an outboard on it.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:48 PM
SS/Veteran

I was being facetious about registering yaks. I said that, knowing that it was not yet happening, because no matter what you do the government has their hand in it. My neighbor has a small, home made trailer he uses to haul fire wood maybe twice a year at most and it had to be registered. I have a shed behind my house where I keep my lawnmower and yard tools and the town charges me a $50/year property tax.

There must be something wrong with my thinking because nobody around here ever complains about government.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:08 AM

It gave me a sense of accomplishment to build my own kayak from scratch and then use it as a way to get access to water I could never reach from shore. Took the next step now and have built myself a fine 18' center console boat, love the fishing it gets me to, but sometimes I miss the simplicity of kayak fishing. Even with that, most of my fishing is done from shore .... at night. I have only kayaked fished at night once and decided it wasn't something for me.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2018, 02:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Bob, you know the continuum: Your wife wants to come so you have to put a toilet in it. Once it has a toilet, it is called a "cabin cruiser".

I had a canvass yak when I was a kid. Tore the canvass scrubbing over a submerged piling and had to swim for it. Incidently, the CG rescues a lot of yak guys.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:26 PM
SS/Veteran

We just had a yak guy killed in Rhode Island over the week end. They found his yak but not his body. Looks bad. People commonly are killed in kayak use. Be careful buoys and curls.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Always need to dress for the water, not the air temp and in winter, that means basically having a sub-zero rated dry suit. You are supposed to wear flotation on a kayak at all times anyways. Those precautions, with proper personal signaling gear, and attaching everything, will go a long way toward survival.

That said, I never would or did yak in water temps below 50, nor in unprotected waters (ie not in the open ocean). Just too much can wrong in an instant. Even find that with a boat, keep it simple, keep it safe.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:16 PM
SS/Veteran

If you happen to catch something decent, say over 40 pounds and our daughter did, you are in for some serious handling issues. For one thing you can't put it in the yak. Or, if it is hooked badly and you can't get the hook out, now what? A yak is fine if you just fish along and don't catch anything. But if you are serious about a big fish you could have problems for which you have no solution.