Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Weed?

Many, if not most states are rushing to legalize weed. I don't happen to smoke anything. With 40 years of Pall Malls, I'm kind of sour on tobacco that ruined my health so I ain't going through that again with grass. Why would they legalize a mind altering substance? Moreover, how do you feel about pot?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Weed?

Another legal vice can't be a good thing. However for medical reason's I wouldn't have a problem with that.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:51 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I agree... there are 2 aspects to the weed movement I have no issue with: 1. decriminalization for personal possession by minors. No need to ruin a kids life but don't let him "get away with it". It's just not the same type of drug as those it's currently categorized with.
2. Medical use, but not over the counter. Especially for terminal or other pain management, why not.

But general legalization is a bad idea. This was, in our generation, a gateway drug for many many, so called "expert opinion" be damned.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:20 AM
SS/Veteran

I've always hated weed, but I got no beef with it. Prohibition has been an abject failure -- the prohibition of drugs has been an even bigger failure than the prohibition of alcohol was -- and I'm all for trying something different.

I hate weed, and always have. But just because I don't like something doesn't mean I think it should be illegal. If that were the case, I'd ban Pink Floyd tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
I've always hated weed, but I got no beef with it. Prohibition has been an abject failure -- the prohibition of drugs has been an even bigger failure than the prohibition of alcohol was -- and I'm all for trying something different.

I hate weed, and always have. But just because I don't like something doesn't mean I think it should be illegal. If that were the case, I'd ban Pink Floyd tomorrow.

that doesn't help your case... I'd support that ban....
Old 06-27-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Why would they legalize a mind altering substance? Moreover, how do you feel about pot?
vs booze? One of the great literal poisons.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:20 PM
SS/Veteran

What bothers me is that pot becomes just one more reason for people to drive down your side of the road. We have booze, hard drugs and now weed. Can we have just a tiny minority of our citizens who have their sheet together? Hiding in my house with a loaded gun with the lights out gets old quite quickly. Next thing we are going to see these guys hunting. Matter of time.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:31 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
vs booze? One of the great literal poisons.
Walter, I agree...and have been saying the same thing for years: alcohol is the drug mostly closely related to death in America...and it's an over the counter drug. I think weed should be legal...but with plenty of rules regs and standards to go with it. If it is smoked often enough it will cause plenty of problems...from affecting your brain to lung issues. Even if it were legal I couldn't smoke it as my job would require me to be occassionally tested...and unlike alcohol, it is fat soluble and stays in you/can be detected for a few weeks.

Besides accidents of all kinds, alcohol over time does lots of damage to human organs and the nervous system. I read recently where memory is affected by having averaged about 5 drinks per week by the time you're in your 50s.

In the cardiac cath lab I work in we occassionally do "alcohol ablations" to reduce a section of heart muscle blocking flow near a valve. We put about 1cc of 200 proof (100%) alcohol through a catheter into a small branch of a coronary artery. It kills a small section of the heart muscle on contact! That section of muscle shrinks afterwards and the obstruction is reduced in size.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Hiding in your house Frank doesn't always work around here.
Introduce an old timer with today's new in improved weed and this could be the results.

And if your wondering how this went down, he backed out of his driveway from across the street.
Attached Images

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 06-28-2019, 07:06 AM

And he wasn't smoking anything.

I see no upside to making weed an OTC "drug", unless you consider government tax $ an upside.

Alcohol is as bad or worse, no argument from me, but that horse is out of the barn. I just don't get the comparison to prohibition, one could use that argument for almost any drug. Just because "everybody thinks it" doesn't make it a good argument. The crowd is often wrong and I'll leave it there. We don't need to allow this to be even more accessible than it is.

Then again, with self-driving cars, government taxing and taking away our freedoms, I guess it will all be moot.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Too many people in our culture are incapable of handling abusable substances. The more wacko juice you put in front of them, the worse they behave. What offends me is that its okay to be free to do anything you want in my state but the Legislature goes into orbit if you bring up Sunday hunting. People in Massachusetts hunt in other states because Sunday is half their hunting time. Residents lose a fortune in Pittman-Robertson funds from hunting license sales that go to other states when that money could stay right here. There is enough game and even a need to cull that game. In eastern Mass the deer are being crushed on our highways when they could be utilized for recreation and food production while enhancing the purchase of wild lands under P-R. Why do you think Joyce and I hunt in RI and Conn?
Old 06-28-2019, 04:09 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Too many people in our culture are incapable of handling abusable substances.
Too many people in this country are incapable of handling anything. We live in a culture of willful, almost gleeful, ignorance.

But making stuff illegal doesn't work. Prohibition does little to reduce demand, and it creates a great disdain for the law as a whole, because -- duh? -- why obey the law when the law is a joke?

We should have learned from the 1920s that Prohibition didn't work. We did for booze, but not for drugs. I think we will admit reality eventually, but after 100 years, we've not admitted it yet.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Here, in the Mogadichu of the east, the upcoming holiday will combine legal drugs to the carnage of holiday, time off, bad driving and substance abuse. Guys will kill their girl friends, drive north in the southbound lanes, lose control and pay steep fines for legal infractions.

In my years of fishing I have seen what just soft drugs like pot do to one's ability to fish effectively. When we fished Chatham Inlet on slow nights you could see the weed dubbies glowing in buggy cabs. When you hooked up these bums would cast over your head while you fought the fish.

On the old Jamestown bridge we had a bunch that I knew well would form a circle and pass a blunt around. Don't know how many times, me walking the shadow line looking for bass, did I spot, cast and hook a monster while these guys could not see a thing in that same shadow. Drugs impair and when it comes to these outdoor endeavors, your senses should be sharper, not reduced. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a goody-two-shoes. I just don't think it in one's best interest to go fishing then screw yourself up to spoil the fishing. I often get screwed up but I don't do it in the field; I have a few drinks then go to bed. At home.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:51 AM

I'm only 63....but have witnessed the carnage caused by alcohol first hand. Comparing the problems caused by smoking weed to the swilling of alcohol.......it's not even close!
Old 07-07-2019, 02:56 PM
SS/Veteran

I have the highest respect to every opinion put up here but where I differ is that don't we have enough impaired behavior that we have to encourage the addition to something on the list. You have to know that most people who drink and are also going to smoke weed just make sharing the roads even worse. Even going hunting in the early morning I am afraid to meet up with someone left over from gin mill closures who slept in the parking lot. They slept in the parking lot because they were too drunk to drive. And the police officer who is supposed to catch him? He is sleeping also.