Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:49 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Report 50s 2019

Please report here any known fifty pounders you hear or read about caught this side of Canada and this side of South Jersey. No Chesapeake stuff.

Incidentally, last year's recorded catch was 32. A lower number than usual but many of such fish are being returned these days. It is an evolving world for good reason.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Report 50s 2019

Some resident fish have been waking up as far north as the town of Catskill on the Hudson River. The only 50 is in centimeters!

Not trying to hijack this thread here ( but I am going out on a tangent):
Frank, when do you typically hear of the first 50 near the middle of the range you mentioned? Roughly, between NY and Cape Cod...maybe... (?)
Old 04-05-2019, 10:14 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
Frank, when do you typically hear of the first 50 near the middle of the range you mentioned? Roughly, between NY and Cape Cod...maybe... (?)
Late May. But few, if any. Jersey and Hudson River a month sooner - Mid April.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:57 AM
SS/Veteran

The early-season shore-based hotspot in South Jersey (and this is so well-known that it can't constitute spot-burning) is Graveling Point, which an inland beach that fronts Great Bay (the bay between Brigantine and the southern end of LBI). A nearby tackle shop posts a reward for the first keeper caught after the backwaters open for bass on March 1, and most years the bounty is collected the first week -- there have even been years where someone has been waiting at the shop when the open on March 1.

This year, for whatever reason, the first keeper wasn't caught until last week, which is way late. Jersey is off to a late start this year, though I've heard anecdotal reports of small schoolies in the backbays between LBI and Cape May. We're still a few weeks away from decent-sized fish showing in Jersey, and probably a month, at least, from anything over 30 lbs. showing up.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Things should be a little later this year. It has been a cold spring. All the signs, bell weathers really, are late. Woodchucks, lilacs, peepers should b3e out by now and they are not. Turkey gobbling is also slow and seemingly limited.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:13 AM
SS/Veteran

The forsythia, which around here is as reliable an indicator of spring as anything, is about 2-3 weeks late this year, as far as I can tell. The bass will probably be on a similar schedule.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:52 AM
SS/Veteran

The Fisherman papers are all reporting a later spring than usual. Not to worry, the seasons will come. Just a matter of when. Still, I would expect less "fifties" this year as that has been the trend. Also, anglers are killing less big fish and returning them not weighed. The kill ethic is in transition, in decline.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Hudson river has been giving up lots of 40s.

First 50 lber I've heard of at 49" 54 Lbs

Pic was posted by DocZ on XXXXXXXXXXX.com
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
The early-season shore-based hotspot in South Jersey (and this is so well-known that it can't constitute spot-burning) is Graveling Point, which an inland beach that fronts Great Bay (the bay between Brigantine and the southern end of LBI). A nearby tackle shop posts a reward for the first keeper caught after the backwaters open for bass on March 1, and most years the bounty is collected the first week -- there have even been years where someone has been waiting at the shop when the open on March 1.

This year, for whatever reason, the first keeper wasn't caught until last week, which is way late. Jersey is off to a late start this year, though I've heard anecdotal reports of small schoolies in the backbays between LBI and Cape May. We're still a few weeks away from decent-sized fish showing in Jersey, and probably a month, at least, from anything over 30 lbs. showing up.
They?ve been chunking 10-30 lb bass from the beach on LBI for a couple weeks. Many 20 to 40 lb fish have come out of Raritan Bay and out front sandy hook. If the bluefish are there which they are then bass that can pull line off your reel are also present.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:11 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redando View Post
They?ve been chunking 10-30 lb bass from the beach on LBI for a couple weeks. Many 20 to 40 lb fish have come out of Raritan Bay and out front sandy hook. If the bluefish are there which they are then bass that can pull line off your reel are also present.
I'll be giving it a shot a little south of there on Friday night. Beach front chunking, and maybe a little plugging if I get bored. The forecast looks good, and the timing should be good too. I'll probably get skunked, but screw it, fishing is good whether or not I'm catching.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:10 PM
SS/Veteran

My striper fishing days are in decline. At 82 with a bad heart staying up all night to release one fish is a little too demanding. How about I just write about it, and go turkey hunting in the daytime after a night's sleep. At least I can shoot.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
My striper fishing days are in decline. At 82 with a bad heart staying up all night to release one fish is a little too demanding. How about I just write about it, and go turkey hunting in the daytime after a night's sleep. At least I can shoot.
I enthusiastically endorse conserving your energy for the back seat of the '52 Ford.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
I enthusiastically endorse conserving your energy for the back seat of the '52 Ford.
It was a '51 Ford, two-tone with skirts and a fox tail on the antennae.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
It was a '51 Ford, two-tone with skirts and a fox tail on the antennae.
Two tone skirts and foxtail...sounds like one of your passengers...
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 PM

There was a 53 caught on waterproof Sportfishing out of Point Pleasant Beach, NJ on Sunday May 19