Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 03-16-2019, 07:23 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Fishing Reports Winter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Dave View Post
Good effort Joe. Spring fish can be finikey or down right ritchous hitting anything.

Today we had overcast skies and no wind at all. Caught a bunch of largie bass, dropped a ton on the ol jump and spit the hook, two nice peacocks, and another unknown cichlid. Had fish both am and pm all on a gill reaper red cichlid lure.
I'm quite impressed with these lures as the fish love em. Hand painted with a nice epoxy job and with quality hardware.
He is a former Rhode Island resident and has a nice striped bass line of lures as well. I will definatley be ordering from him again!

Check his stuff out https://www.gillreaperlures.com

Wow, Dave, some of those are throwback designs with the rear metal blade spinner!

Thanks for the link
Old 03-16-2019, 09:05 AM

Good for you in turn, Dave. I have to do a little mental judo to flip over to translate your terms, but I managed it.
I'm going to follow your link and check Mr. Reaper's page.
How long does it take to turn into "FL Dave"
Old 03-16-2019, 09:52 AM

Yea, I'm not a big "product review" guy but these lures were good to me. I can't wait to see how they preform in up state NY on Lake George this summer.
Agreed on the old school prop style, those styles seem to work best for me early mornings, evenings, and when the water is flat.
I am going to do a hook up grade for the salt and fish the white slim line in the mag darters rotation for stripers in the next few weeks.

Joe, FL Dave is comming, a few more years until I can retire and this is definatley the winter option.

This two week party ends tomorrow and back to NJ. It's ok though, knowing fishing our way have started to heat up.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Senior Fellow

Last two days bass cooperative. Still learning. Fishing frogs and realize they are like live bait. Let them take it and wait a few seconds before setting. Missed a few but finally got one in the weeds. A big Gar. Are my frog. Hope he chokes on it. Half a dozen early morning today. All on poppers. Today most of the hits come when it was just sitting still in water. As I said.....still learning
Old 03-16-2019, 06:32 PM

Bunker blowing up in RB in a big way. It was spectacular, but too far off to reach orXXsee what was under them.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:43 AM

nothing has been under them, at least not when they were close
Old 03-17-2019, 01:34 PM
Senior Fellow

today looked like topwater frustration day; 8-9 whacks and swirls with no takers; finally weedless frog into the grass; bang about a 4 lber...my biggest yet; lets go bunker...tell the blues you're here
Old 03-17-2019, 07:29 PM

Moco Outfront NW wind at dead low tide. I was hiking and checking the beachfront for cuts and holes I couldn't take it so I went on the fly to test a new half and half to see how it performed in the gin clear water. Beautiful day but no signs of baitfish o anything else.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 08:41 PM
SS/Veteran

Started off the season with a doubleheader, unfortunately it was bunker running into the line Ended the day with three. Nothing chaseing them They were actually a pain, running into the line constantly. You know it?s slow when I?am posting pics of bait that I caught
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2019, 10:37 PM

I had a feeling you were out there .......
Old 03-18-2019, 08:43 AM

I went to a fishing flea market yesterday and bit...
I purchased my first fly rod, a 9', 9wt Lamiglass. It is currently not serviceable, having no guides, but the reel seat, grip and blank are in very good condition. It was too good to pass up at $5. I also found an old Pfluger reel to go with it. Well used, but loaded with backing and a weight forward line that will likely be good enough to practice with.
Now I need to buy some supplies and tie up some streamers.

Bayakker, what size hooks would you consider basic, complete novice getting started streamer size?
I kind of imagine that they won't be too very much different from teasers.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:38 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post
I purchased my first fly rod, a 9', 9wt Lamiglass. It is currently not serviceable, having no guides, but the reel seat, grip and blank are in very good condition. It was too good to pass up at $5. I also found an old Pfluger reel to go with it. Well used, but loaded with backing and a weight forward line that will likely be good enough to practice with.

Bayakker, what size hooks would you consider basic, complete novice getting started streamer size?
I use the Gamakatsu Saltwater Big Game SL12S 1/0 and 2/0
Mustad tarpon 3/0 or Big Game 3/0. I was at a fly fishing seminar and the Tyer was using 5/0 hooks on the streamers
Old 03-18-2019, 02:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph C. View Post

Joe, reach out to Paul, (Yarddog) I think he give you better answers for the fly fishing stuff then me. I?m just a teaser guy.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:10 PM

JosephC,
That 9 weight will be just right.
You can't go wrong with a Mustad 34007 hook or a C70S D. I would start in size 1/0 and tie a tried and true, stand by original Clouser minnow in chartreuse and white. Use 1/ 30th (6/32 diameter) of an ounce lead dumbbell eyes in black and red..

You tube is your friend. This is not only one of the best flies ever, but easiest to tie.

If you then tie them with plastic eyes instead of dumbbells, you can use them for a teaser above your hammered spoon or bucktail jig, while fluking.

Clousers work everywhere I've been.

First photo was an Original tied by Bob Clouser and the second is one of mine that works
well, where the Kiiler B's roam!

Hope to see you out there
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 PM

This one tied with synthetics instead of buck tail, and has a slimmer profile.
Attached Images