Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:35 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Shark attack at High Head

Having been on the beach all my life, living on the surf line in a buggy for 30 years, I have seen surprising few sharks. Once ran into 35 miles of sand sharks, aka dogfish was all.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:42 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Having been on the beach all my life, living on the surf line in a buggy for 30 years, I have seen surprising few sharks. Once ran into 35 miles of sand sharks, aka dogfish was all.
The enormous schools of doggies, both smooth and spiny, are very prevalent in the annals of the old commercial guys. They seem to follow me around, too: I am the Babe Ruth of catching dogfish from the beach (skates, too!).
Old 12-12-2016, 03:17 PM
SS/Veteran

The dogfish have a commercial value and they were protected for a while. Way back they couldn't cut them because the machines would break down; their skin is like leather.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Local Massachusetts media is talking about the massive quantities of seals on the Cape. Officials want them counted but I don't why the numbers would matter unless something is being planned to reduce the seal numbers. If that is the case the bleeding hearts are going to go into orbit. Years back, when concerns over too many gulls came up, and Fish and Wildlife wanted to poison the gulls with laced peanut butter sandwiches Bay State liberals were in the streets. You can't kill anything in Massachusetts.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:44 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

every time bleeding hearts go ballistic over F&W allowing a "cull" of whatever (in our case, bears), it makes me feel all warm and peaceful inside... that things are right in the world
Old 12-29-2016, 04:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Don't kid yourself, F&W cares more about public opinion than they do wildlife. There is a state park, Bluehills Reservation, outside Boston, where the deer have defoliated the woodland. The Boston liberals were all there by the hundreds carrying placards: "Save the Deer" The special hunt went on anyway but it has not been pleasant.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 AM
SS/Veteran

Towns are all in a bunch over what to do about the great white sharks. Since the start of this thread there have been two serious incidents -- a mauling and a death last season. Seems like the situation has gotten worse. With the impending summer season, the towns are facing a number of options, at least one of which is an enclosure that bathers can go into the water and the sharks stay out.

I can't feel sorry for the towns because they suffer from a we/they mentality which is kind of exclusionary. The towns are not nice about outsiders, what they one time called we beach buggy guys, Gypsies.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 AM

Certainly a sign of the times

Echoes of Jaws as Cape Cod learns to live with rise of the great white shark
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2019, 11:20 AM
SS/Veteran

You couldn't pay me to wander those bars at night with a surfrod the way we did back in the day, dragging a stringer full of bass and a bag of eels on our belt. Sure, we were careful and ever conscious of the hazards of the surf but sharks were the last thing on our minds because there were non. Seals? What is a seal?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:47 PM

My brother had a house on, I believe, Lieutenant Island, in Wellfleet. At the time, you could only get to the island at mid to low tide, there was a tidal road that would flood. We arrived to visit late at night and fell asleep in the car waiting for the tide.

Great clamming at their beach but even then I was thinking about sharks, given "the movie" which had been released a few years earlier
Old 06-22-2019, 10:44 AM
SS/Veteran

We've been to Lieutenant Island with the buggy because we had heard that they were getting bass at Billingsgate, which is not that far. Like many of our explorations, it didn't work out. There are few places from Montauk to Kennebec, that we have not tried.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:02 PM

I used to rake for sand eels wading into the bay near the PTown breakwater or at Corn Hill. No way I’d do that now.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:08 AM
SS/Veteran

It's an evolving world. And you have to respond to the changes, assuming that you know what they are. For instance, we had no ticks years ago or at least didn't know it. My wife has had Lyme and it can make you very sick. You can't trust the media to warn you because they are the last to know everyday hazards. Then there is travel to Central America, where your chances of protection are Third World.

How about Dominican law enforcement? Tourist people disappear. Mistaken identity of David Ortiz? Yes, Virginia, there are worse places than Massachusetts!
Old 06-26-2019, 03:14 PM

Traditionally seals were hunted for their skins.

Supposed to make excellent parkas.

The meat is edible and fat high in omega3-fatty acids.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:26 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Traditionally seals were hunted for their skins.

Supposed to make excellent parkas.

The meat is edible and fat high in omega3-fatty acids.
But seals are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act so they can't be "culled". (Culled, polite-speak for shot.)

Also, those parkas would end up covered with paint from the anti-hunters.