Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Surfcasters Journal ?

I just want to tip my hat to everyone at sj. To me it's the love of the sport or in better words the love of the striper that you guys have and wear on your sleeve. A true fisherman has to have a respect for what we hunt. Whenever I step on the beach I feel a sense of calmness no matter what even if the surf is rough that I can't describe and I think a real fisherman knows what I'm talking about. My wife at first didn't believe I was fishing all the times I said I was so one night she followed me without me knowing of course. Well whatever she witnessed that night I will never truely know but she did say she understands and witnessed me like she never has before. She's a good girl and let's me fish a lot more than I should. I'm gonna be honest I would use one of the guys I work withs login so I didn't have to pay the $20 but after reading past issues and the blog I felt obligated as a fisherman to subscribe because I used all the stuff I've read and learned. You guys at SJ have a respect for what we do that most people nowadays could careless about and that's why I read it.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Surfcasters Journal is the best surf only mag.Love it
Old 12-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

One component of SJ that helps it be what it is is that it is quentissential Long Island. I spent a lot of time with those guys in P-town back in the day and they display a committment to the striper surf that is weak in many parts of the striper coast and even non-existant in other areas.

I like to think of myself as a student of behaviour and I have critized some of them for silly things -- like overcommittment to casting distance or wanting to fish the Full moon exclusively. But my Massachusetts buddies wear woman's underwear compared to these Montauk trained Long Island hungries. Sure, I could be wrong about my over-generalizations but it is the way it shapes up in my eyes. Example: Jason Colby, Al Bentsen.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 PM

Talking Re: Surfcasters Journal ?

I like it that way Frank to be honest. It kinda keeps all the attention up there on Long Island so everybody wants to go there and fish where they fish. With that said I can still adapt whatever i have read to what my situation. Or I could just be greedy and like to have the whole beach to myself
Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 AM

Montauk is a crossroads of currents which is bound to attract gamefish. Add to that much of Montauk is public property and people can access it. You have the New York City population center that needs fishing the beach and it is a perfect marraige of qualities. I see evidence of SJ trying to offer more of the striper coast. They obviously have to broaden their coverage so as to broaden their readership and I think they are doing that. What is challenging is that ours is a changing world where digital communication is overtaking the old printed mags. New things can often be scary.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Thumbs up Re: Surfcasters Journal ?

I ecieved my first online issue, I think it's great. Very informative. Makes for great reading when you have cabin feavor.I also read surf casting books, scan the forums, I like to see what other casters think and do.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 AM

I'll probably subscribe soon, as I devour the written word by the ton. I enjoy forums like this and any fishing info I can glean off the internet, but I have to say I still love having a real book in my hands. No kindle or tablets for me. Does that mean I'm old? (I have a cheap Trac cel phone that I never turn on)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM

I broke down and subbed last week - I'm reading all the old issues so I guess it's worth it, some good stuff in there.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM

I have contributed to the last two issues of the SJ and read them cover to cover. No boat fishing stories in that publication. The pictures in every issue are so foamy that you have to read it in a wetsuit.

Our land line phone is always turned off and Joyce's track phone, which she keeps for emergencies, is always off. I can't understand why people carry all that **** on their person. Here are a couple of woods track phone uses:

"Dick, dad got a big buck and we can't get it out of the woods."
"We would like to order a large pizza with pepperoni."
Old 01-28-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD 6 View Post
I broke down and subbed last week - I'm reading all the old issues so I guess it's worth it, some good stuff in there.
That's"what to do in the winter".I just started with Issue 1.
I became a member several issues back.I find it well done,things I like to read and learn about and I'm glad to see Zeno adding even more videos. Some of those new contributors are fairly interesting writers,don't you think ?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 AM

I don't know any of the writers but that could be because SJ is a Long Island outfit. But they are surf and they know what they write about. But so little is written about surf fishing elsewhere how could anyone outside of their area have any exposure to them.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:29 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I subscribed and have to admit, they're doing a very good job. As an aside, on another forum I saw someone recommend your flyfishing book (yes, I admit I was browsing elsewhere... was looking for some specific fly patterns and tips on same ) and I wonder if that was due to your exposure in SJ, both a reference last year, as well as your article in the last issue!?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 AM

Yes, Rob, there is something going on with the fly book. All my sales, however dismal, have been Fly Fishing the Striper Surf. If the book could get out of its advance, maybe I might get a royalty check. Maybe when I die, there will be a spate of sales. (Its colder than a tiches wit under this bridge abuttment.)
Old 02-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I don't know any of the writers but that could be because SJ is a Long Island outfit. But they are surf and they know what they write about. But so little is written about surf fishing elsewhere how could anyone outside of their area have any exposure to them.
Everyone writing for SCJ is at least 1000% more accomplished than I am. I am reading ( up to #18 ) every one, almost every article, many for a second time to get me to the beginning of the 2014 season. I never read any of the "fly" stuff until last fall, so I have all that to read now that I own a sissy stick and a bunch of flies.
When you take the issues on like that you can easily isolate the tidbits that will help you, me in this case, work on improvement.
Zeno has continually added more value as this new publication has become what it is.
Somehow I don't think it will stop in it's tracks.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:37 AM

Years ago somebody asked me what I thought of an on-line surf publications and I advised against it the same way Woolner once told me that surfcasting was too small a subject for direct marketing. I have this nagging sence that it might have been Zeno who asked. And, as with Woolner's old advice, I too was wrong. SJ seems to be working and I love working for them now and then.