Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Surfcasters Journal ?

Speaking of new medium--SCJ embeds video into the mag as well which is pretty neat.
BTW when it was free there were more ads, how do you think it was free?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masardinas View Post
SJ journal - I look forward to every issue.

Issue 22 has a great article about fly fishing the Striper Surf.
I like the on-line format. Only thing is I can't read it when I am having a dump like I do when reading Field and Stream. Yes, I did an article for them this month. I think it is a solid outfit and it will be interesting to see if they make it. I like nittering away on surfcasting for stripers and they do a lot of that so we are a good match.

Their staff is comprised of a lot of well read, Old Guard surf people and I think they relate easily to people like those who come here. Perfect world, I would love to see their subscribers come here and our members buy into there.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:12 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Surfcasters Journal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I like the on-line format. Only thing is I can't read it when I am having a dump like I do when reading Field and Stream. Yes, I did an article for them this month. I think it is a solid outfit and it will be interesting to see if they make it. I like nittering away on surfcasting for stripers and they do a lot of that so we are a good match.

Their staff is comprised of a lot of well read, Old Guard surf people and I think they relate easily to people like those who come here. Perfect world, I would love to see their subscribers come here and our members buy into there.
Frank,

" I can't read it when I am having a dump like I do when reading Field and Stream."

It's time to tell your kids to buy you an iPAD or equivalent.

Then with the wifi you also will have them install in your home, you can stay on the can and finish SJ in one sitting!

Guess I'll consider a sub to SJ for next year... I'm dumping some print magazines (non fishing) next year and can spare the coin in my budget
Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I read it a few times when it first came out, and it was OK. Haven't read it in awhile, and didn't know you had to pay for it now (still get e-mails from them when new issues come out). As far as Zeno, I met him once at a fishing flea market, talked about his book and other fishermen and authors, and he kinda turned me off, like I was bothering him or sumpthin...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 PM

First, I want to thank Frank for being a part of Surfcaster's Journal Magazine. His article was featured in the current issue we just unveiled last week. And Dave told me you guys are working on more stuff for the future. Very cool, we are glad to have someone of your experience and presence grace the pages of our publication.

I generally do not comment in the online forums but I will make an exception here because unlike some other places, this kind of discussion is more to my liking. I am very much in favor of constructive criticism, it?s the only way you can grow and do better in the future. But I do take exception to things when I perceive them as untrue. We are the only publication that insist on testing every single product we write about. No, we obviously cannot test a reel for ten years before we write a review but we sure are not going to be copy/paste PR from manufacturer and pass it as our opinion. The ads... Actually there are less ads in the entire SJ than on three pages of most print publications. It does appear that there are more because we only have full page ads and only between articles. Why? Because we wanted the ads to look as cool as the rest of the publication.

My vision for the magazine has never been to turn it into another cast here-use yellow-plug spot-burning thing. There are so many things no one covers from vintage lures, to cooking, music, photography, travel, old gear and people, the main reason I got into this sport. How many times am I going to read that needlefish has to be retrieved sloooowly? That is why we feature exclusive stuff like Montauk Time and Tide documentary video series. Stuff we produce exclusively for our readers. I mean, we had 39 minute interview with Super Strike Don Musso last issue covering his time in the surf from first cast to today, including a very emotional honest talk about why he parted ways with Danny Pichney.

If I sound a little defensive, we'll I kind am but only for one reason. Our host here Frank is one of my idols. I don?t think from reading this thread, he would a get a sense of just how popular Surfcaster's Journal Magazine is. We are not new, just about to start year number 5 and I don't think we even scratched the surface.

So again, thank you Frank for being a part of what we do. And thank you for those wonderful books that inspired me to do things I did not even know I was capable of at the time

Sincerely

Zeno Hromin

Surfcaster's Journal Magazine
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
I read it a few times when it first came out, and it was OK. Haven't read it in awhile, and didn't know you had to pay for it now (still get e-mails from them when new issues come out). As far as Zeno, I met him once at a fishing flea market, talked about his book and other fishermen and authors, and he kinda turned me off, like I was bothering him or sumpthin...
I turn my wife off on most days and twice on Sundays during football season.
What are you going to do, we were not all born with great personality
Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM
SS/Veteran

Thanks for checking in, Zeno. I know that I was not quite effusive in my praise for your fine publication, but I will state, for the record, that I very much admire what you do. You guys can't be getting rich from doing this, and the fact that you keep plugging away is very admirable. Thanks, man.

In fact, I think I'm going to subscribe, if only because you took the time to check in at our little sandbox. I'm sure all the regulars here appreciate it. I know I do.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:11 AM
SS/Veteran

I agree with Chris Garrity! I love it and love what the guys over there at SJ are doing.Great videos,reviews,articles and interviews with some legends! Keep it comin Z been following since the start and I will continue to! Plus like stated before there are plenty other publications with WAYY more adds..I love the fact that its a "surfcasters" magazine!!
Old 11-27-2013, 12:02 PM

Its great that Zeno checked in with us. And I love the e-hugs. I have often thought as a surf writer that it is the loniest job in the world. So when people show appreciation for my writing it touches me.

Someone already said it but the Surfcasters Journal is a connection for all of us. I mean Field and Stream or Outdoor Life do moose and squirrels and when fishing do marlin. Our surf bond is hard to find digital or print.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
I turn my wife off on most days and twice on Sundays during football season.
What are you going to do, we were not all born with great personality
Thanks for checking in Zeno, and I know where you are coming from with that. Everyone has a different way of dealing with people in person, and I can understand that. I wish you good luck with Surfcasters Journal.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Been reading Frank D. since about 2001 or 2002. At that time I was known as MatunuckDad. Since then my sign on, email addresses and passwords got messed up lost etc. But I continued to read on w/o posting. With a 3rd or 4th effort I created a new account to reply to this thread. I really look forward to SC Journal because of the Who, What and Where's. An example of the Who are McKenna, Martin, Skinner, Musso and now Daignault, to confirm. An example of the What being, the food, the plugs, rods, the gear and the great videos. The Where being a well thought out "Journal" that educates by word, experiment, sight, example, faith and surprise. Zeno........ we all know that the Surf Fishing Capitol of the World is in our own back yard. Thanks Gents
Old 12-03-2013, 01:38 PM

Welcome back, Michael. I remember "Matunuck Dad".

SCJ has a heavy Montauk orientation but I think Zeno is working on that. On the other hand Montauk is a very exciting place and has a huge following so that is not necessarilly a bad thing. A publisher has to go with the readership and he can see who is subscribing. This gives the publisher direction.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:36 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

well you guys convinced me to subscribe to SJ.. at a minimum to read Frank's article
Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 AM

I know this is dumb but how often does the SCJ come out? The last thing I did was supposed to come out in January. Is there no December issue?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:45 AM

I can't say enough good things about it. Hands down the best one ive come across. I think of it as a secret weapon..lol..not really but I look forward to it every month.