Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Policy Discussion on Ask Frank

Forgive Mister Smarty for being a little less attentive these days. My wife, Joyce, our love child, Dick, and I are hunting our ashes off every day. It is PTA time for we Canadien subsistance hunters who are compelled to bag and tag enough sweet meat for another year -- bambi-burgers, sausage, Phillie/steak'n cheeze sandwiches. When not trackin we are cuttin so just keep goin on and I will keep on bein smart. It will, as it always does, pass.
Love yuz.....
Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 PM

Lately, interest and visitations are way down at this site. I believe that at least one reason is that we are getting a lot of stupid and difficult-to-understand posts. Long term, I get very few complaints from members but in my 15 years here never have I been contacted privately more about irrelevent posts than recently. It is not my purpose to single out any member and certainly don't want to hurt anyone but if anyone has any suggestions about what we can do, put them up here.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank, I was wondering if you could explain the "irrelevant posts" further. This is a striper surf fishing site, but we have other topics not related to fishing that we talk/ask you about. Those other topics are especially nice to have in the off season. Even without starting a non-fishing thread, we have a catch-all in the "stupid, non fishing odds and ends" thread. It's a fun place to say anything. We do hijack threads occassionally though...
Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Its not any bit of a complaint about non-fishing threads. Its okay to hijack or even digress. What I want is people to post things our members can understand. If a person puts something up that nobody can respond to because the meaning lacks clarity, the thread loses momentum. We have one guy here who is killing me and he knows it. I might not have cared if I didn't already know all about him. Similarly, I dislike daily rulings on everything that I say, these from the same critic. There are sensitive, meaningful ways to disagree and throwing in an occasional agreement is not one of them. I don't have a problem with off-topic non striper discussions. My problem is the insecurity of having this guy posting daily with meaningless bragadosio and incessant rulings. What I want, among other things, is that if you don't like me, feel compelled to damn and eternally find fault, restrain from even coming here because it is for the wrong reasons.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Frank,
I guess your talking about me. I do question some of the things you say and sometimes how you say them. None of that is done acrimoniously or with anything but a desire to enlarge the current discussion. I frequently agree with you and often engage in meaningful discussions with you and others. If my posts aren't clear; please tell me that. If you don't want me here, just send me an eMail or a PM and I'll be gone on receipt of it.
BillH
Old 04-10-2014, 01:59 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks for the quik PM reply.
As requested, I shall not return.
BillH
Old 04-14-2014, 11:19 PM
SS/Veteran

I didn't find Bill cantankerous at all. Although, I was never at the receiving end of his challenging questions. I can tell by other posts that often Frank and others don't agree with what I say but don't challenge me on it and let it slide. Maybe Bill should have done more of that with Frank. Nevertheless, a great contributor to the forum has been lost.

If I'm not mistaken, you two even had dinner and such together? Kind of reminds me of something in my own life recently. I had to "unfriend" one of my childhood friend's wife on facebook because she's very insulting..and it seems like it ended the relationship between him and I. These things are traumatic for both sides. (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt).

Unfortunately, people don't change.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:27 AM

Faceless communication which is also soundless is really difficult. We interpret thought interchange based on body language, facial expressions and eye movement combined with volume, tone and timbre of our voices. When we communicate in this electronic venue, it is difficult to always exchange ideas and differences accurately. The result is misinterpretation.

Our thoughts and words may also be sharpened and abrasive considering state of mind, other ongoing aggravations and fatigue. We are human. We stumble, slip and fall in our interpersonal relationships.

At least this is not like the Jerry Springer Show but in his words.....Why can't we all just get along?

DP
Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM

The very nature of what I do here is like sticking your head through a hole in the tent wall so people can throw at it. I understand and accept that. But every now and then somebody comes along who won't let up because it was okay when he did it the last time. Efforts on my part to try to soften it up with remarks like "wash your hands when leaving the reloading bench" are intended to make my revulsion over complaints and snide remarks address the implication the person is overdoing it. I can't believe neither of you above have not seen all the naked hostility exhibited by this person. I have been letting this crap go for a long time.

This is not a social media site where all come in on an even footing. Rather, it is deliberatly, because of the nature of how it was set up, intended to encourage my high level of participation. Posting on up to 10 threads per day daily, I have to put up a well thought out response on what can sometimes be a contentions subject. I can do that if allowed some latitude, some spontanaiety. But if I have to think about what one single person who keeps coming back and ruling on my every remark, over and over, over and over, I end up thinking more about him than the thread at hand. His influence makes my efforts impossible and his participation -- inspite of a competent background in fishing -- becomes distructive. I am left with no alternatives.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:54 PM
SS/Veteran

I saw it Frank, and always thought about how annoying it was. Of course if I remember correctly this is the same guy who once accused me indirectly of being racially biased for describing some canal visitors as being non english speaking. Sometimes I wondered why someone would participate if they felt the need to disagree with everything that's posted.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:46 PM
SS/Veteran

I hear you..

I also notice that you never give yourself a break. Your daily posts are educational and entertaining. A diamond in the rough of a tsunami of mindless posts in internet websites that undeservingly recieve far greater partication than this forum. I also like of how you weave in words of wisdom to those younger readers warning of those who put fishing and recreation a higher priority than health, family, and interpersonal relationships. Having witnessed those who many years later..lacking energy from older years they are broke, divorced, and ruined from too many nights sleeping in a buggy.

The problem is we adapt to bad situations. I agree, there comes a time when you have to stop people from throwing garbage on your lawn.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 PM

Thank you, Frank. It is so painful, I know, to kick someone in the teeth who you respect but cannot stand. I will remember your post. If you was one of my kids I would put you on bonus .... no, double bonus. It would pay for your school shoes in September.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Thank you, Frank. It is so painful, I know, to kick someone in the teeth who you respect but cannot stand. I will remember your post. If you was one of my kids I would put you on bonus .... no, double bonus. It would pay for your school shoes in September.
This is a lot more complicated than it might appear. Situations may be perceived as fairly simple but inject opinionated people and everything becomes substantially more complicated and convoluted.....and murky.

It is always easier for an individual or group to dismiss insult if that person or those people are not the targets, not the aggravated/aggrieved party/s who suffer the insult and the hurt.

I have not been in this neighborhood all that long and most here are substantially unknown to me, either in print and/or in person. Keeping that thought foremost, it is impossible for me to make any qualitative judgment as to the right/wrong and true/false of this discussion. I defer to others to reach their own conclusions.

I can say that I have found the entire forum with its many threads to be very useful, informative and, at times, entertaining. I hope my own contributions have been reasonably succinct and helpful. It would be unreasonable to expect everyone here to like everyone else. It would be highly unlikely that all here would always behave with decorum and complete consideration for each other. This is the real world after all and everybody does not always play nice. We are not perfect beings acting with complete virtue and compassion.....except for my significant other, of course.

Feel free to tell me I am full of prunes, an idiot, a malcontent, a lousy fisherman, an inept flycaster, a clumsy flytier or just a plain old slobbering fool. I could care less but you had better not insult my bird dog or my horse.

May you all sit on the tack of success and rise quickly and may there be enduring peace with few storms on the striper surf.

DP
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 AM

Something many here are forgetting is that there are any number of old wounds that happened 40 years ago in the striper surf and the inflictors are still around, and still influencing others. I don't think anybody has been able to put two and two together because they forgot incidents they might have read in Eastern Tides like when Disco Danny had his nose broken. Back then there were dreadful fights on the beach and while some of the characters in that play have died or were kicked out of here in the last 15 years, others -- albeit a reduced number -- still influence surfcaster interactions. If I can't forget, than you can be sure they can't forget either. How much of this old stuff lingers is the wild card. Who remains loyal to who is an unknown part of the intrigue and I think about that every time I stick my head through the hole in the tent wall.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
SS/Veteran

One thing I try to keep in mind, which can sometimes be hard, because you get so familiar with the regulars around here, is that this is Frank's forum, and we are all his guests. Don't try to take it over, and, most of all, don't try to show him up.

We're allowed to disagree, of course, but if your agenda is to make Frank look like a chump (remember the has-been guy ) then go the hell somewhere else. This is Frank's sandbox, and there's no need for it here.