Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Talking Re: Book Talk: Twenty Years on the Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
... I miss waking up in the deep night and writing naked with a cup of coffee and spilling it all over my nuts.
boys and girls another entry to be noted for any future: 'speak like Frank' contest
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

Default Re: Book Talk: Twenty Years on the Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
True, Joe, I just wish that life did not demand so much from us while climbing the ladder. You get there and the bitterness eats you up. I can understand why there is so much anger out there.

I just wish, for now at least, that I had a book idea that stoked a fire in my belly like Striper Surf or Eastern Tides. I miss waking up in the deep night and writing naked with a cup of coffee and spilling it all over my nuts.
For a long time there the belief was that creativity went south as you age, but that has been refuted.
Go down by yourself and fish the surf a couple times a week at night. Could be the bay fishing is not inspiring you. You really have to be in it to do your best work, I think. I bet in ten trips - something will come to you. They don't have to be long trips. It's worth the gas money to try.
Finding a much younger woman to serve as muse is out the question. That, and its been done to death. I mean really, who wants to be a cliche?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I hear you and I love reading your input. But trips to the shore would not solve my problem. I find how-to writing, inspite of its commercial potential, boring. "Slide the worm up the hook shank but leave some hanging to enhance the live look." Oh paleeze, I can't do this! . I want to screw around with reader emotions, win some followers, write something important, inspire some positive influences in what people think about me as a writer. I need a book that calls me during the night like Twenty Years or Eastern Tides. (I'll be careful with the hot coffee.)

One of the things about Twenty Years -- subject of this thread by the way -- is that I had woven a novel in with the all-important teaching of life in the striper surf. There are multiple themes in this first book -- commercial fishing, family, surf fishing ideas that teach, to name only some.

It could be, as you point out above, that a person's abilities decline with age. But I prefer to think that I have used up the better ideas. How many auto-biographies can one write? Striper Surf is so comprehensive that a rewrite is not possible. I've picked all the apples.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 AM
SS/Veteran

How about a book about living the "sporting life," as you and Joan have certainly managed to do very successfully.

Hemingway didn't just write about war or fishing or hunting. Thomas McGuane mixed it up too.
BillH
Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Sometimes I wonder if authorship does not rely more upon marketing skills, choosing the right publisher or having someone on the inside put in a good word for you. Joyce and I, in our 55 years together, have done a lot of things from stripers, steelhead, downhill skiing, Atlantic salmon, trap, skeet and sporting clays, russian boar, deer, turkeys, pheasants, blackjack. (No sky diving). I could write such a book but the risk of eating that book is very scary.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Senior Fellow

OK --- i'm off my meds again. I know this is obtuse but thought you may appreciate the share.

I've decided that it is time for me to learn about our most private and outstanding founding father -- Big George. I picked up the most touted "Washington - A Life." Although GW was never inclined to speak of himself or share his deep feelings, Ron Chernow has used the letters and other info that UVa has recently complied to write what is supposed to be a superb book. (I'll let you know --- Mule, rest your eyes it's 800+ pages of small font).

The author said, in the forward, that where Franklin, Hamilton, Adams or others always sparkled in print or in person Washington found no need or desire to flaunt his virtues. "Instead, he wanted the public to know him as a public man, concerned with the public weal and transcending egotistical needs."

Wouldn't it be nice to find public servants of similar stature today? He chose to express himself through his deeds.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

It's surprising how many letters, journals, day-books of significant historical figures have yet to be researched or read. Not much money in history.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:17 PM

My wife eats books. Someone loaned her a Kindle with a bunch in it and she read them all. She never reads on the deer stand and I always do.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:51 AM

I wonder how many surfcasting issues contained in Twenty Years are recognized today. For one, the widespread use of teasers and even resorting to sinkers as casting weights. Also, and I am unanimous in this, the first Brit redgills, also used as teasers, were first used in athe US by us. The term "Moby" as applied to stripers and not whales as has been the custom. When I wrote it no one, to my knowledge, had ever used the term. (Other than Melville.) Commando surfcasting is all over the place. There are others but I have not done my homework for this post. You guys see any?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
SS/Veteran

I would say the difficulty in procuring live eels still exists today. Also people stalking the "highliners" is still alive and well and there are certianly still drunks casting around the South County breaches.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 PM

A term I see used frequently, skishing.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

I use a lot of euphemisms from Twenty Years. "The boids are workin!"

Did you write any chapters specifically for Twenty Years?
I always wondered, I know there are previously published chapters - that are new to anyone under 50 - but it has a surprising level of continuity to it for an anthology.
Or, did you re-work the previously published material to give it a better sense of narrative, and the linear timeline?
Did the Joyce have a hand in that?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:41 PM
SS/Veteran

I use a lot of Frankisms but I don't know where they came from. "Those guys couldn't get arrested," "Doing a job," etc. I've never successfully incorporated "like the Boston girls had the tow rope" into a conversation, though.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLyons View Post
I use a lot of euphemisms from Twenty Years. "The boids are workin!"

Did you write any chapters specifically for Twenty Years?
I always wondered, I know there are previously published chapters - that are new to anyone under 50 - but it has a surprising level of continuity to it for an anthology.
Or, did you re-work the previously published material to give it a better sense of narrative, and the linear timeline?
Did the Joyce have a hand in that?
Yes, in order of your questions, I did write most of it for Twenty Years. And, as you point out there are prviously published chapters -- Pochet, Murat's death while fishing, some others I forget. Narrative and timeline are a feel thing. I just put it down in the order that I lived it. The time line got a lot of raves from readers.

"Boids is woikin" is a Jersey thing that I got from some A#1 Jersey guys I had become fond of. One of them had a wife that was a freekin knock out, which always got Joyce's
ash. (I digress). Then like now, men covet their neighbors wives.

Joyce is an effective academic, a student of literature but, by her own admission, she has trouble originating any copy, writes too stiffly. She was/is more of a proof reader -- "not clear, not a sentence, you can't say that!" One time I wrote "couldn't get the clapp in a Panama whorehouse" and the High Command, her, took it out in favor of coundn't get arrested. But even the hosed down choice was still mine.

She did write and sell a few things but Woolner inadvertantly broke her heart when she did a piece for SWS -- "Lady in the Surf",and he implied that I had written it. Woolner had a crush on Joyce, which I watched closely. Joyce was a knock out, still is at 72. Only now the men her age adore the idea of having a woman who hunts and fishes. (More digressions.)

"The Boston girls have the tow rope." Is a reference to hookers hauling a whaling vessel to the dock for obvious reasons. In my early literary interests, I liked the whale writers and the sea faring stuff in White Jacket and Moby Dick. I'm sure I picked it up in one of those. ("Picked it up"? You pick things up. Others plagierize.)Most of the chapters were written specifically for the book, however. It was never intended to be an anthology. More it was an autobiographical account of life as a rod and reel commercial. I knew that selling stripers was a variation on the overkill of buffalo and I wanted to document something that I suspected would end, be eventually banned.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:36 AM
SS/Veteran

[quote=biggestsquid;2372736]OK --- i'm off my meds again. I know this is obtuse but thought you may appreciate the share.

I've decided that it is time for me to learn about our most private and outstanding founding father -- Big George. I picked up the most touted "Washington - A Life." Although GW was never inclined to speak of himself or share his deep feelings, Ron Chernow has used the letters and other info that UVa has recently complied to write what is supposed to be a superb book. (I'll let you know --- Mule, rest your eyes it's 800+ pages of small font). [quote]

So, Al, is it living up to it's much touted publicity?
BillH