Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Book Talk: Twenty Years on the Cape

Hate to also break the bad news to you..

But Montauk before Labor Day is a totally different world than after Labor Day. In the fall it is all fisherman. In August expect Hamptons traffic that will make a grown man cry, packed hotels at premium rates, filled parking fields, and overwhelmed restaurants.

Surf fishing is slow and nothing compared to the fall (Although, NOW would be a good time to go!!). Don't get me wrong, large bass can be had..just don't expect lock and load fishing.

On the other hand, if your willing to deal with those negatives: summertime is a great time for boat fishing (how dare I say that). Seriously, world class doormat fluke, night bluefish or stripers, and the last place on Long Island where you might even catch a yellowfin tuna relatively close to shore..

And there are open and charter boat fleets to accommodate that are second to none in the world. The place is special.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

For my southern New England area the Canal offers the best opportunities. With both banks you have 14 miles of shore to fish from. Plenty of accommodations, good fishing, and no governmental interference. B&Ts all over the region, protection from the weather. Boats leave you alone and won't cut you off. It embarrasses me at how many times we drove right past the Canal. And, if you get a fish hook in ya, you don't have to bite a strap and have a mid-wife remove it .
Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 AM

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/...frit/image.jpg Thanks for filling me in, and thank you Montauksurf for your well intentions. I spend a lot if time there and have been going for many years. My wife and son love it there also and I get to fish when they goto bed 8). 20 years is a fantastic book and I'm enjoying my reread as much as my first one. Expect an order for Eastern Tides when I finish. Thank you again Frank, great work.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:52 AM

sorry still having trouble putting up pictures.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
For my southern New England area the Canal offers the best opportunities. With both banks you have 14 miles of shore to fish from. Plenty of accommodations, good fishing, and no governmental interference. B&Ts all over the region, protection from the weather. Boats leave you alone and won't cut you off. It embarrasses me at how many times we drove right past the Canal. And, if you get a fish hook in ya, you don't have to bite a strap and have a mid-wife remove it .
Frank the problem, as you know, is that it's hard to fish there. You beat yourself up and beat your gear up. It is probably not a place you would have wanted to have the kids help out with the fishing.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:08 PM

That's true, Koller. But nobody takes a flock of kids fishing, do they. Its just that everything is gone today. The Outer cape is disgusting and from what they tell me, they would use kids for bait at Montauk .
Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
That's true, Koller. But nobody takes a flock of kids fishing, do they. Its just that everything is gone today. The Outer cape is disgusting and from what they tell me, they would use kids for bait at Montauk .
You can only live-line children until Labor Day. Once they're in school, only on weekends and holidays...
Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 AM

I liked the story about one of the twins picking up eels with her toes and outfishing tge old guy next to her and he had no idea what she was doing.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Yes, Mad, they were hellions, still are at age 50. They have the advantage of two connected minds who shared everything. When they were choosing colleges each would not tell the other what they planned. Final decison: Sue -- Coast Guard Academy; Sandra -- Massachuetts Maratime.

The Old Guard surfman they drove crazy was the late Al Weisburg, a P-town transplant. He stood between them with a traditional swimmer getting nothing and the girls were drifting "Webels" with sandeels draped on their trebles taking one 20 lb+ after another, filling the boxes. It was a small off-current on Race Bar during the drop. They must have been around 11 or 12 years old. They were barefoot because what waders available were adult and droopy for them and they had little feet like leather from a barefoot life.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 PM
SS/Veteran

I don't think a book "20 Years on the Canal" would have been as good. The entire package of a family, being removed from life as most people know it; living out of a buggy. Fishing was only part of the story.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM

Thanks, Montauk. Weaving things into the plot is a good approach. How the Red-gill got into this country; the use of teasers related to the inexorable failure of so many widely used striper lures; endless comparisons between one lure and another. Money fishing and its influence upon a family with no resources. You can't make plot relationships up but how they are written, presented to the reader, are some of the things that separate literature from drivel.

We must also remember that our late Tim Coleman was the publisher. Without his encouragement this book would never have come to be. The original title was "Diary of a Rod and Reel Commercial". Much of the criticism of Twenty Years comes from people who never read the book. I can tell becaue they wanted to learn more about surfcasting. They never read the book!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Hi Frank - I read this book 10 years ago, and just reread it while travelling. I've enjoyed it both times and is one of my favorite books, period. If I close my eyes the movies in my head bring me back to the old Cape of the 60's and 70's, as I was there for vacations as a boy and young teen. Long days in the sun, running the beaches without a care or the need for an adult to watch over you, no worries about sunscreen...I've only been back once since then and, while nostalgic, I may never return as I agree it will never be the same place.

We would drive down from Woonsocket on an early Saturday morning (how fast can we get there, can we beat last year's time?), and once over the bridge the stories would come out, and we would listen to all of the fishing stories and legands my grandfather would tell. "If the blitz is on, guys will crap their waders rather than take a break...". "The clubs use code over CB radio to tell their budies where the bite is...". "Those fish are so large and strong that the fight can last a half hour, they will snap your line if your drag is too tight, ...". "Keep your fingers away from the blues...they're big bruts down here..."

Once we got there we'd drive out to PTown the Race, release air in the tires, check the pressure and take the Jeep Wagoneer out on the beach. I can still see the campers and buggies lined up. Rods spiked, not much action in the sunlight. People sleeping... Sometimes we'd head out east of the Truro Route 6 lake into the dunes, miles west of Race, and out to the ocean side. That area was remote and there were not many buggies out there.

My grandparents would take a one week vacation in Truro at the Wind and Waves cottages every year and take us along. The owners were from Uxbridge, and my grandmother was close friends with the two sisters who owned the place. I belive one lady was named Edith. It was on the bay side on a nice sandy beach. We'd fish in the day, but what did we know as kids. When the striper fishing got bad later in the decade, for sport we would head accross route 6 to target large carp in the lake. My grandfather would think and talk about various strategies on how to catch them, and had a special corn meal recipe that worked well.

My daughter's six now and we live within walking distance of a southern NH beach. She's a real beach baby like yours, just starting to fish, and is a real good caster already. Fishings pretty good, and we have plum Island 10 minutes away. My wife spent all of her summers t this beach, and my mother-in-law likes to joke that the real reason I married her daughter was for the beach front cottage that has been in the family for 3 generations. The last time my dad was able to visit from RI he said "If your grandfather could only see this place, he'd sleep in the garage to be here and fish...". I brought him a picture of a Forty I caught last summer and he can't stop looking at it, maybe the movies are playing for him too.

The stories about your kids in the book are very touching. Your son going off to serve our country in the CG...the letter from your daughter aboard the ship as she passed Chatham and PTown...it can bring a tear to your eye.

I am sure I will read this book many times again and escape to the good old days. Thank you Frank. Thank you.

Chris
Old 06-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Chris, it worked because I wrote it for you.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM

I wonder if Twenty Years would do as well today what with all the negativity coming from there. NPS, seals, traffic and way poorer fishing than was. Everything said is all bad and all the old gang that I knew is doing other things, fishing other places, even have gone to boats. It is not the same.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:23 PM

It's a great book, I think it would do well anyday.