Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:56 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Twenty years from now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
20 years from now, People will be calling for this to be a "gamefish", catch and release

HOW TO: SIMPLE SEA ROBIN FILLET

With its mild taste, abundance in local waters and eager willingness to take a baited hook, the sea robin could be the perfect inshore target species. Here is a simple way to prepare them for the table!
By Toby Lapinski

I read an article in Long Island fisherman 30-40 years ago talking about eating them. I caught a big one camping in Montauk in May. I filleted it and it was riddled with worm holes... YUK!!!!!! Never tried again.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:58 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
Steve, I already knew most of them. Deb told me down there, if someone is making a turn, the person behind them also puts on their turn signal...
And Al, I know about Myrtle Beach, we are looking a little south of there...
I have posted something about Virginia. If there are sweet little towns you recommend we check out... Before I bite the bullet and flee eastern Long Island, the bride and me will take our retired and retarded . butts to check them out..
Hard to find a quiet rural farmy place with the sea..
Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Bruce,

John Geiser from the Asbury Park Press wrote a book back in that time frame called "The Shore Catch"... where, if I recall, he gives the edibility, with recipes, of virtually every fish caught within the new york bite... except for most rays and a mola mola (ocean sunfish)

But here we are again (maybe magazine articles go in cycles, just like fish )
Old 07-26-2017, 06:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelieb View Post
I have posted something about Virginia. If there are sweet little towns you recommend we check out... Before I bite the bullet and flee eastern Long Island, the bride and me will take our retired and retarded . butts to check them out..
Hard to find a quiet rural farmy place with the sea..
Westport, Massachusetts. If I were your age looking for that I would choose that location. When you are my age, 80, you kind of resist change. I have a Jersey friend, who ate bambi-burgers here last week, who is on the edge of a buy in Westport.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:29 PM
SS/Veteran

Ma is a terrible state tax wise for retirees , Virgina is not much better
Old 07-27-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Westport, Massachusetts. If I were your age looking for that I would choose that location. When you are my age, 80, you kind of resist change. I have a Jersey friend, who ate bambi-burgers here last week, who is on the edge of a buy in Westport.
Westport is a great town to relocate to. I have been working there building custom homes for the last 15 years and I love it. We have been selling new homes at a good clip. People tell us the property taxes are better here than where ever they are coming from. Lots of good restaurants in the area..... and best of all... shore or boat fishing just minutes away.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:41 AM
SS/Veteran

I caught my first "fifty" there from shore in 1964. Of course, its curse is that it is in Massachusetts. The Constitution has no meaning in "Taxachusetts". And they screw their dead politicians into the ground rather than burry them. Tow operators split towing fees with the cops who view that as their part-time job. But then are not all the states kind of shockwa? If all are equal, then we are back to judging the fishing and lifestyle -- Westport, MA.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:34 PM
SS/Veteran

[quote=Francis Daignault;2429760]I caught my first "fifty" there from shore in 1964. Of course, its curse is that it is in Massachusetts. The Constitution has no meaning in "Taxachusetts". And they screw their dead politicians into the ground rather than burry them. Tow operators split towing fees with the cops who view that as their part-time job. But then are not all the states kind of shockwa? If all are equal, then we are back to judging the fishing and lifestyle -- Westport, MA.[/QUOTE

I'll agree nothing is on the level all around & I don't believe everything that is published . But to believe fish tales is in the imagination of many who write them. This is a good place to be.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:55 AM
SS/Veteran

I think there is a perception that SW fishing is boat fishing. That could be becaue there is less surfcasting as the years go by. Twenty years from now, given access limitations, overall resistance to hard work, there will be no interest in waders.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:57 AM
SS/Veteran

Twenty years from now fisheries management will sell you a bunch of tags for each species and you will use these for attaching to each scup, bluefish, bass, tog etc. They will sell you fish by species like they do with inland animals in hunting.