Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:58 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Check Out the Pink Slime Case

Goggle "Pink Slime" if you want to follow a very HUGE 5 billion law suit where a meat packing house had to lay off 700 workers and close down plants that were supplying burger to much of the country. The suit is against one of the major networks. You won't see anything about it in any of the papers. Can you guess why???
Old 06-23-2017, 03:11 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Check Out the Pink Slime Case

I can guess that I don't eat hamburger any longer.

I suppose that advertising $$ plays a role in what gets reported.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:14 AM

Rob, you didn't go there. The law suit is about how harmless hamburger is because of a necessary process. The network is being sued because the packing house used a process required by the Fed for a safe food product. Incidently, when you cut a piece of meat that red stuff is pink, comes from blood. Red watered down becomes pinkish. You can add the word "slime" to imply degradation but there is nothing wrong with the burger. The lawsuit: $5 billiom with a B.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:02 AM

ABC settled out of court on the 5.5 Billion suit in an undisclosed settlement with the meat packing house. This case is of interest to me because it is but one more example of irresponsible and damaging news reporting in many, not necessarily all, media coverage. My concern with the subject of responsible reporting goes back 16 years to when my wife and I were attacked by dogs while walking in the woods. My sentiments have nothing to do with President Trumps similar disdain for news reporting. I was victimized way before he ever dreamed of being President. Note that ABC's obvious compromise, and probably settlement loss, is not enjoying coverage in mainstream media. They can print your embarrassments and overlook their own

Keep in mind that there is a press card in my pocket; keep in mind that I recently published an article called "Is It True?" . It is apparent that this subject is of little interest to members here.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:45 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
ABC settled out of court on the 5.5 Billion suit in an undisclosed settlement with the meat packing house. This case is of interest to me because it is but one more example of irresponsible and damaging news reporting in many, not necessarily all, media coverage. My concern with the subject of responsible reporting goes back 16 years to when my wife and I were attacked by dogs while walking in the woods. My sentiments have nothing to do with President Trumps similar disdain for news reporting. I was victimized way before he ever dreamed of being President. Note that ABC's obvious compromise, and probably settlement loss, is not enjoying coverage in mainstream media. They can print your embarrassments and overlook their own

Keep in mind that there is a press card in my pocket; keep in mind that I recently published an article called "Is It True?" . It is apparent that this subject is of little interest to members here.
Where is it published?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
Where is it published?
Midwest newspapers. The whole story can be called up by goggling "Pink Slime". They won't talk about it in the liberal east because it is an embarrassment. And ABC will not divulge the terms of the settlement. You can bet ABC lost which implies that the meat packing house had a strong case. The burger making company lost billions and laid off 700 employees.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Midwest newspapers. The whole story can be called up by goggling "Pink Slime". They won't talk about it in the liberal east because it is an embarrassment. And ABC will not divulge the terms of the settlement. You can bet ABC lost which implies that the meat packing house had a strong case. The burger making company lost billions and laid off 700 employees.
Done!
(...er...sorry... I meant, where is "Is it True?" Published...)
Old 07-01-2017, 02:30 PM

The "Is it true" story was published over a year ago in the Editor's section of The Fisherman.

I wish I had never brought this Press stuff up because it is my private battle which started 16 years ago when a newspaper in Massachusetts picked up on the dog attack. I was writing full time then and I lost my biggest writing gig because the write up was a total fabrication. Even if wrong, it got picked up by other papers and kept getting repeated in all the papers. The press screws a lot of people. Every time I see a pink slime attack that is unethical I think of how many people must be screwed by media. I jumped on the pink slime story because the packing house did something my attorney wouldn't. Nobody here cares about what was done to me. They are here to learn how to put a worm on a hook or condemn the peaceful use of firearms.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:38 PM

PHOTOSHOPPING MONSTERS

Guest Editor's Log

by Frank Daignault

Is it true? This is the mantra of all responsible reporting. In spite of the oft-repeated joke about believing something because it was in the newspaper, readers who seek to be informed expect to trust what they read in any publication. Media forms that violate the all-abiding dictum of truth generate a loss of confidence. The harm that springs from any inaccuracy or exaggeration cannot be measured. And photos that lie are as much a violation of reportorial ethic as erroneous verbal statements.
Recent alterations in the photos of alleged criminals in national magazines, Rolling Stone for one, underline a disturbing trend in print media that has begun to gain the attention of a growing number of readers. Indeed, overly flattering images of unpopular outlaws has begun to gain the attention of readers realizing that photo altering technology exists. Tabloids are famous for ?enhancing? photographs endowing outrageously effective body parts on movie stars. There are softwares available that enable any amateur to grow boobs on a boar hog. We are not talking gag photos here which, as long as they are obvious, can be entertaining. I never thought about it until I suspected it was being done with our namesake gamefish, the striped bass, which ought to be forbidden territory for anything that even sniffs of exaggeration. Certainly, when a grip-'n-grin photo of a striper well over five feet long is shown, someone must have weighed it. Yet, we readers are rarely told the actual weight of a fish that certainly appears larger than the All-Tackle World Record. Why is that? Are we to believe that nobody among us cares that the photographed bass was a mere 75 pounds, too small to haul out a scale for better information. The tip-off, if there is one, is that there is no mention of weight, angler, or both. The crux of my complaint is that there is something funny going on either with the Atlantic's ability to produce monster stripers or the digital world's new found skills. We are seeing more monsters in print than ever before taken in a world where the stripers themselves have not gotten bigger.
This gives rise to a verb you won't find in Webster's ? photoshopping. Apparently, and I never thought about this before, it is possible to induce size to anything where size is important. The photoshopping software is the solution to an age old problem ? size. It is really funny until its potential shows up in the pages of books which pride themselves, or should, in an affinity to truth.
In early July, Field Editor Dave Anderson illustrated a fine piece on Record Stripers with a nice shot of a moby striper to show what an 82 pounder might look like. And it did look every bit that big. Anderson's caption said, ?This FAKE (my bold emphasis) image was augmented to show what a World Record striper might look like.? I mention this not to complain about the altered photograph but to illustrate that such effective enhancement is doable today. There are no ethics in question in this case because the author admits to it as being a fake. What the photo does prove is that a person with a computer and appropriate software can manipulate a photo to his advantage while compromising truth. Responsible reporting might make allowances for enhancing a visual experience but not for misrepresentation. One could argue there is a fine line between them but writers who are expert in their field should know the difference. Whether an erroneous statement is made or a doctored photograph is used, a lie is a lie and should have no place where truth is mandatory. Readers want to see images that accurately depict the beauty and nature of the fish they seek.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:51 PM

Frank,

Getting back to Pink Slime, I can see that there is a lot of hyperbole on the part of MSM (edit: aka the media) (I guess ABC in this case?) regarding "pink slime" and for that, they will pay dearly.

However, it's still not clear that the meat industry is being entirely truthful in it's claim that they are using a well accepted process either.

To say that, as a whole, the meat processing industry never tries to push the envelope just seems preposterous after my 15 minute reading on the internet regarding "pink slime" and it's predecessor MSM, in this context "Mechanically Separated Meat". So without going into that entirely unnecessary digression into the meat business, let me just reiterate: for me, I put processed food distributors just a single notch above the media with regards to "truth in advertising".
Old 07-07-2017, 01:54 PM
SS/Veteran

Sorry that you feel that way, Rob. People in the food business are required by Federal law to do certain things to protect the quality of their product and the chemical additive is not some wild-XXX idea they dreamed up. In agreement with government requirements, the packing house simply did what they legally had to. ABC, on the other hand, degraded public confidence by labeling it "pink slime" instead of something more accurate like "legally treated for freshness/preservation". Of course when food contains blood like fresh meat and you rinse the red down it turns pink. It is slimy because all meat is slimy if its wet. I have cut for consumption a hundred deer and they all end up pink and slimy We just call it venison. Our friends would never come for dinner if we called it "slimy pink deer." N'est pas?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:31 PM

Frank,

There is little resemblance in substance between your fresh venison and what a meat packer sells as Mechanically Separated Meat (MSM) or it's decendent Boneless Lean Beef Trimmings (BLBT) aka "Pink Slime"

It is not true that Pink Slime is simply slimy "normal" meat.... it would be like processing everything of the deer you discard for your main meal, but making it look like "normal" venison and then serving it to your guests as "fresh".

That said, it is edible and legal (currently) for the processors to use, but I don't bring anything containing these beef or meat byproducts under my roof, nor consciously consume any of it anywhere.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:34 AM
SS/Veteran

Rob, I respect your opinion and desires on this. If the packing house, in your opinion, is doing the wrong thing, they still won and got an undisclosed settlement from ABC. That has been my point all along.

Myself, I still love a juicy burger. And, about a year ago, I had some dead money with my broker -- $9,000 -- and I told him to buy McDonalds with it; it is now $13,400. Wish I had bought more.

My wife makes "sliders" which are venison burger, cheese and bacon. She serves them at parties and our guests flip. We are doing one tomorrow with a member from here. If you were living closer I would invite you. Its been years but D'Amico has been here for our venison burgers. Friends call me the Wimpy of the striper surf.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:14 AM

Frank, I understand the settlement with ABC and realize that's the crux of the story here w.r.t. to the general subject "media bias".

I'd try venison burger in an instant since it's been about 45 years since I've had venison (last I recall was my mother serving some my dad shot) but I'll pass on any other store bought ground meat, except organic, nowadays (well, if I was eating any meat )

Organic is not allowed to contain MSM/BLBT (or also what I found it called "Lean Finely Textured Beef")
Old 07-14-2017, 02:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Rob, I thought of you yesterday when we defrosted venison meat bags for the making of a batch of burger. The defrosted meat was pink, it had pink water in it and it was slimy. I made sure that I didn't let a reporter see what we were doing or the headline would have read:

"MISTER SMARTY EATS PINK SLIME"