Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:25 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Thumbs up Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Frank congrats on the new ride..

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:24 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Is it painted in camo colors or just flat black which comes with a shaker can of patch paint?

Hint: Do not loose the owner's manual !
Old 08-22-2019, 10:53 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Thumbs up Re: The Hunting/Shooting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
We are taking delivery on a new Toyota 4-Runner buggy that has the off-road package -- better clearance and a whole bunch of features which require a 9 credit course to learn. As usual, we will scratch the sheet out of it the first season plowing down brush and bounding over big rocks to get deer out or to get in where only the coyotes go. Our trade in had the salesman puking and saying, JC, where da phuck did yuz take this thing?

LOL... great vehicle! Congrats!
Old 08-22-2019, 02:08 PM
SS/Veteran

We picked it up today. It is so technical, with so many features that you need a coarse when taking it over, Freaking thing does everything but scratch your back.

One mistake we made with the last 4-Runner was that we kept it too long. It still runs beautifully but the corrosion got the best of it over eleven years. It broke my heart to trade it in. We have done so much hunting and fishing with it, it had become an old friend. I fought the tears thinking about the many days and nights in the field it had served us. And, silly I know, I was proud of the scratches and blood all over the tailgate.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:09 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Is it painted in camo colors or just flat black which comes with a shaker can of patch paint? !
We had been looking for black but this one is dark metallic gray which is really a nicer color than black. A think people forget when choosing an off-road vehicle is CLEARANCE. The risk is not getting stuck; rather, the risk is in bottoming out. Tote roads often have wash outs where the soft stuff gets washed away leaving high rocks. Not that we intentionally go in dangerous places, but at least once per year we have to drive in to get a deer out. And at 82 I don't drag and tote like I used to. I have a ton of age related issues which I have to respond to.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:14 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
We had been looking for black but this one is dark metallic gray which is really a nicer color than black. A think people forget when choosing an off-road vehicle is CLEARANCE. The risk is not getting stuck; rather, the risk is in bottoming out. Tote roads often have wash outs where the soft stuff gets washed away leaving high rocks. Not that we intentionally go in dangerous places, but at least once per year we have to drive in to get a deer out. And at 82 I don't drag and tote like I used to. I have a ton of age related issues which I have to respond to.
Let my give the master a hint, stock shields on trucks suck big time. By shields I am refering to those cookie thin shields over the trans. You need shields that are rear thicker steel. When you have a choice crawl over the rock and not stratial it.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:50 PM
SS/Veteran

All these situations generate more fear than actual damage. We have always gotten out of any pickle that came along without a bad outcome. Keep in mind that I have 60 years of off road living behind the wheel. I have gotten a lot of people out of trouble over the years. Guys driving 4-wheelers that didn't know to get into 4wd; people who didn't know about "airing out"; others who never thought about actual pushing with their bodies; winches; jacking and board placement. I have been hugged 50 times by grown men with tears in their eyes. I have been a buggy whisperer for a long time. But when I go into the wilds, I want to be in control. When a sportsman gets in, he should be capable of getting out.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:22 AM
SS/Veteran

Brown bears, which are larger and more aggressive, are known to be dangerous. Black bears, indigenous to our northeast, are supposed to be docile and harmless. However, a black bear just killed a woman in Canada and was put down by wardens while standing over the woman's body. I would never trust any bear -- brown or black. Inasmuch as there is little interest in hunting bears, their numbers are on the increase. I wouldn't hunt them if you paid me. I just have no interest.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:24 AM
SS/Veteran

Regarding turkey, I have read about fall turkey, the breaking up of the flock etc, and it sounds pretty boring and ifie. My question do the birds respond to our normal spring calling?
Old 09-26-2019, 12:20 PM
Administrator

We have a bird that's been hanging around a intersection near me that has been chasing cars or blocking them as they stop for the stop sign for the past 2 weeks.
Attached Images

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 09-27-2019, 03:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Turkey gobblers have a reputation for being aggressive. If they see their reflection on the paint of a car, they will fight it. They chase kids at school bus stops, wait for the mailman to go after him. I wish one would phuck with me during turkey season. I would show them who can be tough what with a 2 ounce charge of number sixes.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Regarding turkey, I have read about fall turkey, the breaking up of the flock etc, and it sounds pretty boring and ifie. My question do the birds respond to our normal spring calling?
Fall turkeys are no where near as fun as spring hunting for gobblers. When you break up a flock, which is comprised largely of young-of-the-year poults, you are shooting five pound babies; a far cry from 20 pound grandfather gobbers. Fall birds are no big deal. Also, we learned years ago that you can burn yourself out with fall turkeys and not have the stamina for two months of deer hunting. Especially if you are 80 and I'm 82

More to answer, the babies are crying for their Mommas because they can't stand being alone. When you break up a flock, then call they come back to the hen assembly call. Just wait 15 minutes and they will come back to your call. The challenge is to find a flock for the break up.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:35 PM
SS/Veteran

http://www.stripersurf.com/forums/at...1&d=1569699237

Here is our new buggy. It has GPS but I don't know how to use it
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2019, 07:23 AM
Administrator

I put out a Deer block sat afternoon, this morning there digging at the ground for the remains.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:02 AM
SS/Veteran

Were I to do that where I hunt and got caught, they would yank my hunting license.

We start pheasant hunting this weekend at the club. Its sort of canned but festive inasmuch as it marks the start of the season. We will see old friends, find out who passed on during the year and eat a warm breakfast, the dogs all howling to get started. The birds are surprisingly hard to hunt and they seem to know we will be after them. Its fun and we get some trigger time. For us it is the whole month of October. November 2 we start RI muzzleloader for the entire month, with Sundays. There is no Sunday hunting here in the People's Republic of Mogadishu.