Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Eastern Tides -- Your input

Expound upon the merits or lack of merit in that title. What parts of it did you enjoy, if any. And what parts could you have done without? Don't get the idea that I am just selling books.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Eastern Tides -- Your input

There are no bad parts, and as far as the title goes, in my mind, I call it "Eastern Tides: A Love Story"
Heres what I love about the book.
The Swiss Family Robinson type existence of the family on the beach. If you're familiar with Irish history you can draw a parallel that you were modern day Tinkers in beach buggies - in many ways you didn't belong to the land. The sense of urgency - that you MUST fish. And so - in many ways you belonged to the fish you were after as much as those fish eventually belonged to you.
The camaradarie and competition among anglers. The apt description and mannerisms of beach officials who had Napoleonic ambitions. The heartbreaking writing on the wall leading up to the moratorium. And my favorite - the battle vs The Man (IRS)
Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 PM

Some of my favorite stories are the whale or whatever it was that PWB was trying the sell around town, the coast guard rescue, any story when Squid Beaumont was invovled, etc. I have to agree that part of the appeal of the book is how you all just kind of lived on the beach and made it work living in a camper for the summer.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I have to say I enjoyed the whole thing. It was totally different from your "how to" books. One thing I have to wonder at though... How did you all fit into the converted bread truck, or even the more modern camper mounted on the Jeep?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM
SS/Veteran

I think Eastern Tides was my favorite of the books, although I haven't read the fly fishing book. I liked how the scenery would change from the Cape to RI and it would add new characters. The moby cod chapter was a huge eye-opener and I wish that cod were still around like that. What I think I liked the most was when you guys discovered the outer cape - it made me want to fish there and in other "primitive" locations. The feeling of discovering a new hot spot that no one else knows about is what I dream about all the time.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:31 PM

All good, all flattering and all picking up on the parts that I wanted. Ragman's point about fitting is cogent. Living space in both the bread truck and chassis mount worked because four of us were so small. I mean you could put those twins in a bureau draw. A popular song we used to sing when heading to town was "We All Live in a Yellow Submarine". I really grappled with the IRS story because I feared that it would offend more patriotic sensitivities. "Squid Beuamont" (Ray Jobin) was a true friend and in my lifetime of fishing since I could walk, I never knew anybody who could weave a spell over fish like that buggah. He still does to this day.

PWB made me cry while composing it. To think that he left a leg in Vietnam and that the gang had been so insensitive of him, being from Pennsylvania and all, a flippin outsider. (Gad, I'm choking up now!)
Old 05-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

I almost forgot about PWB. Sure, maybe the gang was insensitive to him, but it was more his talking to the fish than anything else I think. Did you, or anyone else even know about his losing his leg before he wrote you the note when you were in the hospital? I'm guessing you didnt. I think that note shows a man with spirit, that didnt let things get him down too much, and shared his experiences with a friend to keep their spirits up. A good man. Do you ever hear from Allen anymore?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Notice that I forshadowed Allen's odd situation by always noting that he never took his waders off. Thus we never saw his prothesis. Allen was like so many paradoxical sport fishermen of the time in that he came from a high ethic fresh water/trout environment to the screwy sport fishing that sold their fish which was another enigma of both the time and place. That Pennsylvania Wonder Boy (PWB) evolved from what he had been to what we were was just one more facet of his character development. No, we never kept up, everybody from that world kind of faded away when the moratorium hit the striper world. I also think there had been so much furtive behavior that there were a lot of social barriers -- at least in my mind.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 AM

Frank: I know I've asked this question before...but...may I ask it again?

I recall you noting that your editor "left 4 chapters"...of Eastern Tides..."on the cutting room floor"...how do your loyal followers get to read these chapters?

-DB
Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 PM

Steve, I've had enough of your underhanded low hits. Why don't you go over to Fiction where they have a hate Frank club. There I am certain you can find support for anything you want to dream up with a bunch of others who have read neither.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:07 PM

Sorry Deep, I got a little distracted by an old problem. The things that had to be taken out of Eastern Tides had the potential for litigation. What readers here could never know is that a tiny one percent would love nothing more than to hang my scalp on their tent walls. When you are in my position, a lot of things come along that can't be talked about. People secure my services for the weirdest things. I have been a friend of the court for my testimony and I have acted as a consultant for marketing situations. Not always big stuff, because I don't want to overstate it, but everything that I do, even though striper surf related, is not necessarily in the public eye. Just remember, that if it had to be taken out of the book, it was in the best interest of all involved and had to remain on the cutting room floor.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 PM

I never understood the reason for so much animosity among surf casters.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM

Never used to be that way Mark, just not as much surf to go around as there used to be.

CL
Old 05-07-2007, 06:50 PM

Best parts were the stories of fishing with Butch and Norman at C-town and also the Nauset stories. The parts I didn't enjoy was when the stocks started crashing, things like drugs caused a safety concern and the whole culture started to change - too depressing for me but good story overall.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:46 AM

I read and enjoyed the book last winter. Sort of a modern day/1960's/1970's Swiss Family Robinson. At a minimum it needs to be turned into a Disney movie. Love story/Coming of age for the twins/Nostalgic 60-70's angle. Maybe it would go straight to DVD but I'd buy it for my kids and nieces.

Regards,

John